Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

Just a few random pics of the max and its friends...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 PM
retired moderator

Just a few random pics of the max and its friends...

Since I haven't posted pics in here for a while, here are a few I took this week of the maxima and my other vehicles...

My wife, not impressed that I washed the cars, apparently

I hope it doesn't rain

work supervisor

Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 PM
This is a democracy

nice mr. irish.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there is too much Irish in this thread.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by bigpulve
there is never too much Irish anywhere....
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 PM
This is a democracy

Originally Posted by bigpulve
jealous much?

Irish everywhere!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Irish
jealous much?

Irish everywhere!
I just love bigpulve's new signature. Don't you?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM
This is a democracy

Originally Posted by irish44j
I just love bigpulve's new signature. Don't you?

very well played sir
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM

It popped up after a post in the ***** thread.....I lawled...
Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Turbo'd Saab

needs more taproot

fixed
<---my shirt in the avatar

wheres the mazda and what happened to the side of the jeep, its flat black?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Go throw random things into the wood chipper!!!!

video = win!!!!221234
Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Turbo'd Saab

this thread was linked in the post ***** thread we all lawled
Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
needs more taproot

fixed
<---my shirt in the avatar

wheres the mazda and what happened to the side of the jeep, its flat black?
The jeep: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955077

As to the Mazda. It has been brought to my attention that the Mazda doesn't qualify as "my" car (even though I paid it off and pay the insurance on it) since my wife drives it, lol...

but if you must have a pic of it:

Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 PM

I hads to explain teh siggy...
Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Turbo'd Saab

nice job irish, the driveway is full
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 PM

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Taprootzzzz
Old 05-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Turbo'd Saab

The other project is going to rub alot if you don't lift her

LAWL in the other forum
Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 PM
retired moderator

The other project is going to rub alot if you don't lift her

LAWL in the other forum
yeah right now the front spring seats are all the way down, so it's slammed. They'll go up once I start tuning the suspension.

Also the front swaybar is just hanging there by the endlinks and isn't bolted up.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 PM

The jeep: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955077

As to the Mazda. It has been brought to my attention that the Mazda doesn't qualify as "my" car (even though I paid it off and pay the insurance on it) since my wife drives it, lol...

but if you must have a pic of it:

cute car...no wonder it doesn't qualify as your car. i've driven worse though, the modern yellow VW beetle w/ a flower shaped airfreshener dangling from the rear view mirror...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by g4nismo
cute car...no wonder it doesn't qualify as your car. i've driven worse though, the modern yellow VW beetle w/ a flower shaped airfreshener dangling from the rear view mirror...
just remember that a stock Mazda3 will kill an STS maxima in autocross.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I have faster times then a local mazdaspeed 3 around here

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 05-23-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 AM

a stock BASE mazda3? nahhhh.
a mazda3speed sure! those suckers are quick and i've seen plenty at autocrosses.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 AM

lovely cars. The max looking real nice and clean.loving the lil drop.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:58 AM
retired moderator

a stock BASE mazda3? nahhhh.
a mazda3speed sure! those suckers are quick and i've seen plenty at autocrosses.
a stock 3s...yup. Especially on a tighter course. Maybe not a 3i, as they come with lousy tires, soft suspension, and the little 2L engine. But the 3s has a much firmer suspension, great balance, decent stock tires, and the 2.3L...

Besides STS Maxima doesn't get many of the "good" mods (LTB, SFCs, BBK) that really make the biggest difference in autocross (IMO)

Recall that I've gone from stock to STS to STX to STU to DSP to EP, so I know what times various mods are worth...

In this area, in 3 years no maxima on street tires has beaten me (one third gen on r-comps, GDMaxSE, beats me consistently). In fact, no maxima on street tires has gotten within a second of me at any event.

At the last event I ran last season, a bone-stock 3i (running on steelies and stock street tires) came within 2/10ths of my time running EP on street tires. At two other events, lightly-modded (springs/struts) 3s's have consistently put up times just a tad slower than mine.

the 3s handles even better and has more power. Since I have both a heavily-modded Maxima AND a stock 3s, I think I'm a little better-prepared to say which one handles better

The MS3 is surely faster, but it's main disadvantage on alot of courses is that the stock tires can't handle all its power on the course. The MS3s on a road course are WAAY faster, but on a tight autocross they don't have much of an edge over the 3s, imo....

Maybe this summer I'll bring both cars to an event and see which one I can drive faster
Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 PM
retired moderator

I have faster times then a local mazdaspeed 3 around here
And when I ran STU I would always beat a couple STi's and Evos.....

there are always going to be people with fast cars who can't drive a course correctly...
Old 05-24-2008, 04:27 PM

a stock 3s...yup. Especially on a tighter course. Maybe not a 3i, as they come with lousy tires, soft suspension, and the little 2L engine. But the 3s has a much firmer suspension, great balance, decent stock tires, and the 2.3L...

Besides STS Maxima doesn't get many of the "good" mods (LTB, SFCs, BBK) that really make the biggest difference in autocross (IMO)

Recall that I've gone from stock to STS to STX to STU to DSP to EP, so I know what times various mods are worth...

In this area, in 3 years no maxima on street tires has beaten me (one third gen on r-comps, GDMaxSE, beats me consistently). In fact, no maxima on street tires has gotten within a second of me at any event.

At the last event I ran last season, a bone-stock 3i (running on steelies and stock street tires) came within 2/10ths of my time running EP on street tires. At two other events, lightly-modded (springs/struts) 3s's have consistently put up times just a tad slower than mine.

the 3s handles even better and has more power. Since I have both a heavily-modded Maxima AND a stock 3s, I think I'm a little better-prepared to say which one handles better

The MS3 is surely faster, but it's main disadvantage on alot of courses is that the stock tires can't handle all its power on the course. The MS3s on a road course are WAAY faster, but on a tight autocross they don't have much of an edge over the 3s, imo....

Maybe this summer I'll bring both cars to an event and see which one I can drive faster
wow, thats surprising. never really though much of those little 3s.
but yeh, i've been struggling the last couple auto-x's due to the lack of those "good" mods. sadly, i only have coilovers and a FTSB going for me for suspension. heard blemco doesn't offer the LTB anymore, never really had too much interest in the SFC, and just never got around getting a BBK, in fact i think most wouldn't even clear the 03 max rims. the two main things right now are the suprastick, cause i'm sick of leaving it in first all the time, and the RSB which should help me a lot IMO as understeer has been the main issue. which also brings me to tires b/c right now the rears are bald as i rotated them and the fronts are wearing out fast due to the camber. was planning on getting either kumho ecsta MX, yokohama s-drive, or the BFgoodrich g-force sport sometime down the road.

i've seen some of the competition in STX class and my god STU. even if i had all those goodies, i think i would still have a tough time...
Old 05-24-2008, 06:35 PM
retired moderator

wow, thats surprising. never really though much of those little 3s.
yeah, swing by a dealer and test drive one if you're bored one day. The handling is very balanced and predictable (and the brake bias is PERFECT, not front-heavy like a Maxima.) The stock GS-A tires are kind of so-so, but the suspension,steering, and brakes are top-notch.

but yeh, i've been struggling the last couple auto-x's due to the lack of those "good" mods. sadly, i only have coilovers and a FTSB going for me for suspension. heard blemco doesn't offer the LTB anymore, never really had too much interest in the SFC, and just never got around getting a BBK, in fact i think most wouldn't even clear the 03 max rims.
That was why I quickly got away from STS (and other ST classes) - STS limits tires to 225-width, which IMO is too narrow for a heavy car like a maxima in autocross, and you couldn't do some nice mods that I did for street driving.

SFC is the single best mod I've ever done to my car. Makes it handle better AND ride better, for a fairly low price! highly suggested!

the two main things right now are the suprastick, cause i'm sick of leaving it in first all the time,
In a max, I find that 2nd is better anyhow on everything except the very smallest courses. 1st just doesn't allow good throttle control, IMO. In 2nd it's much smoother and the max should have plenty of torque to power you.

At one of the smaller events I ran last year I did 3 runs in 2nd, though it was in the mid-range rpms at best. The last run I did entirely in 1st. Felt like i was really going faster due to the jerky acceleration out of corners.

Then I got the time: 1st gear run was almost a full second slower than any of the 2nd gear runs! More proof that the rule of autocross is "smooth"

and the RSB which should help me a lot IMO as understeer has been the main issue. which also brings me to tires b/c right now the rears are bald as i rotated them and the fronts are wearing out fast due to the camber.
RSB is one of the best mods for autocross, because it really allows the tail to rotate better (combined with high rear tire pressures).

was planning on getting either kumho ecsta MX, yokohama s-drive, or the BFgoodrich g-force sport sometime down the road.
MX is a great tire, alot of nationals guys in ST classes run them. Also they're cheap! On a tight budget, I would suggest the Hankook Ventus RS-2 Z212. They are similar/better performing than the MX or Azenis and they are DIRT CHEAP....like $100 for 245-sizes!

i've seen some of the competition in STX class and my god STU. even if i had all those goodies, i think i would still have a tough time...
STU sucks because almost every car in STU (at least around here) are AWD monsters over 300 hp....mostly STi's....

Take a look at the DSP times in your region. DSP allows you alot more mods but isn't much faster (in total class) than STX....
Old 05-24-2008, 10:08 PM

yeah, swing by a dealer and test drive one if you're bored one day. The handling is very balanced and predictable (and the brake bias is PERFECT, not front-heavy like a Maxima.) The stock GS-A tires are kind of so-so, but the suspension,steering, and brakes are top-notch.
Yeh, will check out when I have a chance.

That was why I quickly got away from STS (and other ST classes) - STS limits tires to 225-width, which IMO is too narrow for a heavy car like a maxima in autocross, and you couldn't do some nice mods that I did for street driving.
SFC is the single best mod I've ever done to my car. Makes it handle better AND ride better, for a fairly low price! highly suggested!
Yeh, I know. 225 width is the maximum for STS but at the time when I got the 03 rims, I was strictly going for looks plus I only paid about $300 for all 4. Now I regret it big time. Sure they look great but looks isn’t important when competing.
I can’t agree w/ you more on 225’s being too narrow. Tires just squeal every time I turn hard into a turn, just can’t get enough traction. Just for money’s sake and this seasons championship, I’m going to remain in STS class and finish it for this year. For next year, I’m definitely going to look into light & better offsets to suite wider tires.
Forgive me but aren’t the SFC weld ons?

In a max, I find that 2nd is better anyhow on everything except the very smallest courses. 1st just doesn't allow good throttle control, IMO. In 2nd it's much smoother and the max should have plenty of torque to power you.

At one of the smaller events I ran last year I did 3 runs in 2nd, though it was in the mid-range rpms at best. The last run I did entirely in 1st. Felt like i was really going faster due to the jerky acceleration out of corners.

Then I got the time: 1st gear run was almost a full second slower than anyof the 2nd gear runs! More proof that the rule of autocross is "smooth"
Most of the SCR course layout tend to be small but there were times where I could of gone into 2nd. I agree 1st isn’t a very good throttle control gear b/c its so sensitive but i don’t want to upshift and downshift as it’s well not good for the an automatic tranny thats why i want the suprastick lol.

RSB is one of the best mods for autocross, because it really allows the tail to rotate better (combined with high rear tire pressures).
i ate a lot of cones at my last event...not normal for me b/c i just kept understeering into them. wish i had IRS as well

MX is a great tire, alot of nationals guys in ST classes run them. Also they're cheap! On a tight budget, I would suggest the Hankook Ventus RS-2 Z212. They are similar/better performing than the MX or Azenis and they are DIRT CHEAP....like $100 for 245-sizes!
My first choice would be the MX’s but there on back order right now so the others are my alternative. I will def check out the others you listed though.

STU sucks because almost every car in STU (at least around here) are AWD monsters over 300 hp....mostly STi's....

Take a look at the DSP times in your region. DSP allows you alot more mods but isn't much faster (in total class) than STX....
I know what you mean. For STU, all I see are STi’s w/ there stupid fast GT-35R kit, and evo’s. For DSP, what kind of mods, performance or suspension related? I know there’s some kind of limit in each class category. Friend w/ an 02 wrx had a carbon hood and not a lot of performance mods for his 1st auto x and they bumped him up to SM just for the hood...at least i think it was SM. If I was to be in DSP I would need a lot more power mods cause most of the guys in DSP are MS3’s and beemers. There were couple events where the top three in DSP were a full 2-3 sec faster when I placed first in my class.

Last edited by G4nismo; 05-24-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 AM

Love the 5th Gen, looks excellent.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:46 AM

sweet ride
Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM
retired moderator

man, I only own two of those four cars now