Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

force fed non maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 AM
Apple Pie Monster

Thumbs up force fed non maxima

While I did own an 89 maxima with quite a few mods that costed me a few trans/engine mounts, and spit out 2 autotragic rebuilds, it was time to move on. I have met some great people here, and am thankful for that....Ive been around since 2003.

The maxima got me through school, but just barely....Once I got a decent job, it was time to get something I could depend on, and most importantly, something that did not leak into the interior when it rained....god that sucked. So, she was sold in 2008 within weeks of purchasing a 2006 Toyota tacoma TRD offroad V6. I lived in a complex with minimal parking, and she had to go.

The Tacoma has since been massaged, welded on, beat on, and modified to approx the same amount of money that was into the maxima.... approx 10K

I cant remember what was first, but its come a long way.

latest upgrades were 2k in exhaust goodies consisting of headers, catless y pipe, 02 simulators, a 3" mandrel stainless exhaust.
That sadly killed my low end tq and I hated driving the truck.........next business day I ordered the TRD supercharger.

That brought back the Tq nice and low, plus substantially increased the fun factor. It did quickly show me the next weak link... The brembo blank/hawk pad combo thats served me yrs N/A had to go..... So I got a deal on a stage 5 EBC kit. Along with that, my ABS killswitch (custom) proved a potent stopping force.

....The next weak link popped up soon tho..... Tires.....Umm, yeah I turned perfectly good tires into slicks in no time. SO on went a set of goodyear wrangler authoritys in 265/75/R16.

Now Im pretty happy where Im at.

I am curious if many users here have tried the ultragauge?
Its an OBD2 code reader, and also displays a ton of configurable gauges and user selectable alarms. I have had mine for 2yrs or so and love it. Watching the "instant MPG" readout is just comical.
Water temp, exhaust temps, open/closed loop indicator, intake temp, voltage, and a few others are VERY nice to have at a glance!

Its 0230 right now........Im out, ill post more info tomorrow and answer any questions (if there are any, since its a truck).

I have no hp/tq numbers because the nearest dyno is a rustang dyno, and honestly, I dont care about numbers enough yet to jump on any dyno.

I can give u stock numbers:

236hp @ 5,200RPM
266 lb.-ft. @ 4,000RPM

and also the numbers from just the TRD blower

304hp @ 5400RPM
334 lb. ft @ 3600RPM

"Roots-type rotating components in a one piece integral manifold. Water-to-air intercooler system with a custom low temperature radiator (LTR) reduces inlet temperatures for maximum power output. High flow fuel injectors. Iridium spark plugs. Boost pressure 5-6 psi."

Trucks curb weight is approx 3400lbs

I do miss the maxima in corners.........But passing is much easier now

I have surprised a few 350Z owners who wouldnt let me over while others were merging.......please obey all traffic laws!

Last edited by wolfpack_5150; 04-01-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 AM
Apple Pie Monster

rotors

ultragauge........ 1 of 3 pages u can set to cycle, or manually flip.

exhaust goods

headers

its nothing to look at, but in case someone asks............

fairly recent

Last edited by wolfpack_5150; 05-27-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 PM

I'm looking to get a double cab long bed Tacoma in the next couple of years. They seem like great trucks. Yours looks great.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Apple Pie Monster

Originally Posted by Dave H.
I'm looking to get a double cab long bed Tacoma in the next couple of years. They seem like great trucks. Yours looks great.
thnx............just keep in mind that the TRD sport and the SR5 are the only way to get a double cab longbed.

The TRD offroad only comes in a double cab shortbed,

or an access cab longbed.

"longbed" being 6'
"shortbed" being 5'
Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 AM
Apple Pie Monster

Pretty much how the stock switches were from the factory.... Note how close the diff lock button is to the fog light switch, yes I hit the wrong 1 a couple times, so I knew I needed to move them further apart.

While I was at it, I routed 3 sets of wires to the overhead door (sunglass holder)... I used them to control an ABS killswitch, and 1 set of driving lights, and another set of HID fogs.

Started with this spaghetti

cleaned up a little

hidden, and cleaner than factory.....those 3 plugs are, power mirror, diff lock, and stock fogs.

After .......Fog switch is far from the diff lock now.

not the best pic

They are these......I didnt want any red ones in case someone flipped the ABS on or off being curious.... faux carbon fiber is subdued enough to not catch the eye as easy, and doesnt beg "push/flip me" like a red switch.

Last edited by wolfpack_5150; 05-28-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150
thnx............just keep in mind that the TRD sport and the SR5 are the only way to get a double cab longbed.

The TRD offroad only comes in a double cab shortbed,

or an access cab longbed.

"longbed" being 6'
"shortbed" being 5'
I plan on the Sport since I don't care for the chrome pieces much. And I like the other options that come with the TRD sport package. I don't really need the off road option. I want the longest bed possible for this truck. Don't want to regret that extra foot of space later. It'll be a while though; my wife and I hope to pay with cash. The maxima needs to last a while longer.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Apple Pie Monster

Originally Posted by Dave H.
I plan on the Sport since I don't care for the chrome pieces much. And I like the other options that come with the TRD sport package. I don't really need the off road option. I want the longest bed possible for this truck. Don't want to regret that extra foot of space later. It'll be a while though; my wife and I hope to pay with cash. The maxima needs to last a while longer.

Thanks for the info.
u may be able to upgrade a SR5 model (trd nothing) to ur liking and have it come out cheaper. Just depends on your needs.

The TRD suspension isnt worth the money in either model........

The rear power inverter is a joke....

The seats may be nice looking and offer some more lumbar support, but the TRD seats stain if u look at them wrong, so buy wet okeles........

Factory stereo isnt worth the added money unless you require sterring wheel controls..........

color matching can be done cheap........

the sport rims u can always find used.........also the 16" offroads can be found cheap used.

The tires on the sport AN the offroad are terrible and rot in about 20K.....

I just got the offroad for the rear locker, the seats, and it was a great deal.

The fact that the TRD package includes the V6, and the SR5 II covienence package (power everything, rear tint, rear slider etc), was a bonus........The factory towing package was nice too. Its the ONLY way I woulda gotten an automatic (aux trans AND OIL coolers). Surprisingly the autos get slightly better MPG than manuals...

the manuals also have a weird RPM fluctuation between shifts, recurring issues with throwout bearings too.

BTW, the only chrome on the offroad is the grill surround and rear bumper

either way, if u tow/haul........Get an add a leaf...preferably a progressive AAL like the ICON, or Wheelers. They have 3 thinner leaf springs instead of a thick single leaf like a cheap add a leaf....This offers a smooth ride loaded or unloaded. I have had the truck bone stock (2 full leafs+ overload), TSB (3 full leafs+overload), bilstien 5100 shocks + toytec/deaver single AAL.........

finally the ICON progressive AAL with bilstien 5100s, and I took my overload out.....with the overload out, u get 1.5" of lift........with the overload in, u get ~2" of lift.

bone stock, the leaf packs are weak and may hit the bumpstops (over bumps/dips) with 500lbs in the back and 400lbs of passengers up front. Thats only 900lbs out of up to a 1300lb payload.

an add a leaf of any kind will help the truck carry its rated payload (but I am not saying u should be carrying anything OVER its rated payload).

and dont get caught up in the "TRD" parts on the web like intakes, brakes, shocks, air filters, etc........... TRD makes NOTHING, they contract others to do this.

The newest TRD cold air intake was made by K&N and its a terrible design that throws check engine lights due to running lean. K&N and AFE were both fighting for the contract. AFE wanted to make a correct intake, while K&N got greedy and used a 4runner/FJ stock intake tube which is larger I think than the tacoma's. This induces MAF sensor errors.

Do ur homework, and u should be happy.

Last edited by wolfpack_5150; 05-30-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Apple Pie Monster

and def look into doing an ABS override AKA killswitch.

The ABS is overactive and can make things scary on dirt/gravel/mud/even DRY painted surfaces, etc.

turning it off makes the wheels lock and dig in which is actually needed in some conditions....I dont even run ABS on dry pavement due to extended stopping distances.

Just kill it with a switch (I do use abs when it rains).......and with it OFF, just use the old proven method of threshold braking, or stomp on the pedal even, and let off and turn if needed to avoid something, then reapply brakes.

I came from a long line of cars without ABS and its second nature.

ALSO, stainless steel braided lines will help some with pedal feel.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Apple Pie Monster

recently installed cheater pulley good for another 20-30hp.

I should be around 350-370 at the crank
Old 09-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice video, looks like a lot of fun to drive (for a truck)!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 PM

Nice Truck..
Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Apple Pie Monster

new video posted

Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 AM

nice truck, that whine is a tad annoying but i guess you get used to it when you are passing all the cars and trucks as you head down the highway. any cops following you around??
Old 06-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Apple Pie Monster

Originally Posted by max ride 41
nice truck, that whine is a tad annoying but i guess you get used to it when you are passing all the cars and trucks as you head down the highway. any cops following you around??
Thanks...........growing up around a drag strip got me used to the sound of a roots blower loooong ago so it doesnt bug me . The pros def outway the cons IMHO.

I dont get second looks from cops.........just another plain jane looking tacoma to them