Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

The Drunkie Saab Story

Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post
nice man ! nice updates ! phew ! care to elaborate on those weak points?
The big one is the pcv system in 04, the engine block changed to allow the oil trap to drain better. In 06, they made the oil trap holes even bigger, so this has the latest update in that area. No engine sludge should ever occur.

Coolant bypass valve eliminated, this is a plastic valve that fails, its not hard to replace, but annoying, it diverts coolant away from the heater core in the event you turn the A/C to MAX Low, I never do that.

Eliminated a lot of vacuum lines, just down to 2

Timing chain and head gasket, I went to ARP head studs so it should help in the future of never having to do another head gasket in the future. These cars are okay with head gaskets, not all of them have it, its not all common. But I am pushing a 300-325hp tune...so it could still happen. I put a new timing chain in, they tend to go around 200k.

Rear camber arms, for wagon sag over time, its an extra 200-300lbs back there

The transmission is a later one, I think revision 10, so that means no reverse lock out issues, 3rd gear grind, 2nd gear synchro issues.

SS braided clutch line over rubber. Rubber gets soft.

Things I added that were options on these cars through the years
-Better seats (they are super comfortable) cooled and heated
-Auto level suspension for wagon, can suport 500lbs and keep the suspension level
-Auto dimming mirrors on all 3 with homelink
-rear brakes 300mm vented rotors, the brakes on these cars are no joke with the right setup
-What we call king cobra pipe, its a bigger inlet pipe to the turbo, its a ***** to fit but worth the 10hp
-what we call T5 cams, they are cams from a Saab 9000 turbo, 20hp gain, more lift and duration
-Rear cargo roll out loading floor (rare option)

Only thing that I don't have is the back up park sensors, its the only thing I can't figure out how to add

The car at this point is virtually new at this point and everything works. Very happy with it for a daily driver.

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 06-13-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:58 AM

props man !! very very detailed, and i like your reasoning and dedication to getting this better than new ! i wish i had the mechanical ability to do all these things , very impressive ! enjoy that thing !!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post
props man !! very very detailed, and i like your reasoning and dedication to getting this better than new ! i wish i had the mechanical ability to do all these things , very impressive ! enjoy that thing !!
Thanks dude!

The improvements are just years of people trying things, or my experiences with things. I've been playing with Saabs for 10 years now. Anybody can do what I've done, I just have hand tools, no lift. Jack stands and on my back.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Got some groceries

It got wet:

Then it got dry:

Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 AM

damn dude !!!! does it get much better?? very nice !! that combo with orange corners and yellow fogs on a black car are perfect ! first saw it on a 4th gen years ago , so so nice.

you make me wanna put that effort into mine. (which i have, but slowly faded with it's daily driving and age) i got quarter rust sheet going on i have been so blah about i don't even know what to do and i am so used to seeing it i blank it out.

wheres your rust ! lol
Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Mr. ****s 4th gen. Always loved his look.

Both my Saabs are completely 100% rust free, the Sedan will easily stay that way (I cleaned and coated everything I could) and it will never even see Rain. The Wagon I bought in North Carolina where it sat in a Barn for the last 6 years, never seen snow until this year. I did some preventative with cosmoline on bolts (wax spray), Black star on anything bare and will be doing fluid film in between wheel changes for summer and winter. See how low it lasts, all I can do is try I guess.

On a side note, I picked up new wheels. OEM and period correct to the year of the car. Basically what it came with when it was new. They are being powder coated in BMW Silver and will be my new Summer wheels, the current wheels will be Winter wheels.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:48 AM

what is black star, and fluid film ? i have heard of doing linseed oil, that's all i have recently learned about. and i like the current wheels, and i look forward to seeing the new ones.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Black star is a rust converter, I needed in a few areas on the wagon. but it also helps coat and protect things too.
Amazon Amazon

Fluid film is a coating you can put on and protect.
Amazon Amazon

Cosmoline is a wax spray that I put on joints/bolts/brake lines. It covers them too.
Amazon Amazon

There is no reason you can't protect a car in the northeast anymore.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear View Post
Black star is a rust converter, I needed in a few areas on the wagon. but it also helps coat and protect things too.
https://www.amazon.com/MRO-Chem-Blac...gateway&sr=8-3

Fluid film is a coating you can put on and protect.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Pr...gateway&sr=8-8

Cosmoline is a wax spray that I put on joints/bolts/brake lines. It covers them too.
https://www.amazon.com/Cosmoline-RP-...ateway&sr=8-34

There is no reason you can't protect a car in the northeast anymore.
this is all amazing ! thanks dude ! i feel like the damage is done on my 17 year old daily driver... but maybe not ! i guess preventive things help no matter when you start them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.