New Member Introductions New to Maxima.org? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum!

new and wanting to turn wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:15 PM

new and wanting to turn wrenches

My name is Jakob . I've found myself returning to the forums for answers to all the questions I've had. So I figured I might as well join and post my progress of my maxima journey.

So I drive a 2000 maxima se auto @ 130000 miles. I've owned it for the last 9 years, it was 65000 miles old at that point, it was originally my grandmother's before that fresh from the show room. All that being said, it has sat for a while, like for the last 3 years, and for a year 2 years prior to this last sitting period. For the last 35000 miles or so it's had transmission issues. It randomly stays is 1st when u come to a stop, and restarting the car once USUALLY fixes it, some times it takes a couple times. It shifts hard on my first 2 gears. My O/D light blinks 16 times almost every time I start it now, and my SES is on. I have chattering coming from my rear axles somewhere. I'm convinced it's my brake pads because it goes away when I'm braking, onto braking, steering wheel shakes at high speed braking. Original struts so it feels like a small boat. Old cracking tire. Need a new radiator fan. Umm....Yeah needs a little bit of work. But I have big plans. First things first, gotta work on the transmission I WANT to do a 6 speed swap. This actually the second transmission in it, I'm done with the auto. I'm going to get the codes pulled this weekend. Long story short, i'm fixin t9 be replacing alot of thing. If you've still read all the way to the end, thank you for reading my rant of a description.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM

-trans issue sounds internal, probably a clutch problem

-steering wheel shaking when braking is usually warped front rotors

-chattering on the rear could be anything, possibly brake squealer
Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 PM

The last time I had codes pulled...cough cough...a few years back. It was calling for a speed sensor. Could that be it. It an automatic and it would seem to be electrical seeing how it works after a restart.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:51 PM

id scan it for a code then again but if the speed sensor is bad i suppose it could be not wanting to leave 1st gear
Old 02-13-2015, 04:14 PM

So I got the codes pulled. I only had one come up. P0720. A speed sensor. But which is it, the geared vss or the one that goes on the transaxle? I feel like just replacing both. Feels good to hopefully have an answer, just hope they work.