New Member Introductions New to Maxima.org? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum!

2014 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2014 Nissan Maxima

Hello everyone, I just installed a spoiler on my maxima, all went well but my problem is I cannot find the third brake light wire to connect the spoiler LED, is there someone out there that is able to help me? I've googled it with no results, Thank you
Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Best way I can explain how to locate the wires is to tell you how I just did mine.

After researching this extensively wit no credible or exacting suggestions or how to's I finally did this.

Remove the 3rd brake light in the rear package tray by gently pressing the center of the light gently toward the rear glass to release it from it's mount and latch points in the tray.

Raise the light and gently pull towards you as far as the factory wires on the light will allow you. It's not much and if you have large hands or are a larger guy, it will pose a challenge. Rotate the light out of the way. Fish a 14-16" line, (I used .083 weedeater line), down from the top of the package tray about 6-7" then get in the trunk and see if you can spot the line. (you have to remove the trunk and under tray trunk lining to properly fish the spoiler wire and make the necessary concealed connections.

Assuming you find the trimmer line, tie the spoiler power wire to it. Go back inside the rear seat area and gently pull the trimmer line up through the package tray hole below the third brake light.

You'll need to splice the spoiler power wires into the power wires of the 3rd light. I found the provided 3M splice connectors adequate for the job. I used a set of duck bill needle nose pliers to make the splice. Challenging because of my large hands, but doable. When complete, verify spoiler light works. Then reinstall 3rd brake light the reverse of the removal process. (Note at this time you need to decide if you're going to deactivate the rear tray 3rd light).

Attention: If you know ahead of time that you are, clipping the power wires to the OEM 3rd light tray wires allow you to get the light out of your way during the power connections to the spoiler power wires. This greatly improves access to the wires you're connecting to.

Hope this helps...