New Member Introductions New to Maxima.org? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum!

2011 Maxima Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2011 Maxima Transmission Issues

Hi Everyone. I am new to the group, but have been following it off & on for a while now. I finally decided to join to group. Yay!! I live in Atlanta, Georgia and this is my 3rd Maxima that I have owned. I haven't had any issues until recently.
So, I have a 2011 Nissan Maxima model S. I am the 2nd owner. I bought the car with 18,500 miles on it. It has been a blast to drive. I currently have over 114k miles on it. My issues began about 2 months ago.
One day I was heading down the interstate and the car would pulse (feel like it wanted to downshift and take off) every now and again. It was odd, since it hadn't done it before. It did it again and I could see the RPM's rev up and drop back down.
Within a 2 week period it went from pulsing to a complete shut down after I got off the interstate and stopped at a light. The car was on a slight hill and when I got off the brake it began to roll backwards. I pressed the petal, but it continued to roll backwards.
After about 3 light cycles and several people cussing me out, the car began to take off again. No lights came on or anything. Over the next couple of days it would continue to do the slow take offs and I would avoid hills (if at all possible).
I took it to a mechanics shop (guy I have known for over 10 years). It did have a code on the car, but it was related to the air box. I had that piece replaced and found a hose that had popped. I had it replaced as well. I thought my troubles were over.
Test drove it and it was fine. Went home. Drove to work the next day and the same thing happened again. Since there were no error codes, we thought it may have been the pedal sensor. So we changed it. Test drove it and it the slow take off got worse.
On the way back to the shop I have to go across a 4 lane road and it literally stopped in the middle of the road. This time the service engine light came on. We made it back to the shop and it gave me a code dealing with solenoid A.
The guys says that the only other thing that they could do was drain and replace the fluid (1st time it had been serviced. Tried to have it done before and nobody would touch it. Spoke with Nissan and they said it didn't need servicing for the life of the car).
We did that and it seemed to get better, but soon after started the slow take off again. I called several Nissan dealerships and they have all told me the same thing. I am going to have to replace the transmission.
There hasn't been a transmission place in town that will take a look at it. They all say take it to Nissan. At this point, I am trying to explore all of my options. I would think that they should be able to fix it and not have to replace the entire transmission.
It currently drives fine 1st thing in the morning and leaving from work, but if I run it hard (take the interstate at speeds of 70-80) it seems that the fluid gets hot and starts the slow take off and not pulling hills. If I take side roads and drive slow ( speeds between 35-50), I can drive to work without any issues. Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated!! I need Help!!