5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

smoked hamburger...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 04:45 PM
retired moderator

smoked hamburger...

was bored yesterday afternoon....had to do something to the car...what could I do without actually spending any money?

blacked out the grill with matching black paint to the rest of the car (sans chips, of course), looks just like bluesbreker's paint job essentially.....and had some Boyd's Smoke spray paint so I smoked the rear hamburger to match the SE badging....lost the pic of the grill somehow, but here's the hamburger.

pretty exciting, eh?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:50 PM

i could go for some cheeseburgers right about now
Old 11-24-2004, 04:51 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by roofadoofalus
i could go for some cheeseburgers right about now
ahh **** thats what I'm having as I'm typing...............
Old 11-24-2004, 06:01 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Lost the pic of the grille?? You make it sound like a Poloroid! Take another soon. Can't wait to see it. Did you smoke the front emblem, too?

Is that just rain, or ice?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks good from what I can tell... post pics of the front emblem when ya get a chance...
Old 11-24-2004, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by TopElement
.org cheapness on display.
Wow... I hope you were just kidding there... cuz if not, that was really uncalled for and not to mention, absolutely devoid of any class whatsoever....
Old 11-24-2004, 08:43 PM

Depends how you wanna look at it. There are plenty of inexpensive or even free things we can do to improve our cars or make them stand out. However, it's also easy to go overboard, and it just becomes tacky.
I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion, and that's yours, I am in no place to judge ya for that.... just expressed my thoughts because it seemed harsh to me, that's all, but if that's how ya feel, that's how ya feel....
Old 11-24-2004, 08:51 PM

Btw, I don't think its tacky at all, esp if ya look at all the other stuff Irish and BluesBrekr have done... much better than many of the free or "purchased" mods that some people do around here... but that's just what I think....
Old 11-24-2004, 11:45 PM

I think it looks pretty damn good myself. Nice work man
Old 11-25-2004, 01:11 AM

It's not a bad idea. Now it matches the black SE badges.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:26 AM

i agree andy
Old 11-25-2004, 04:58 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

A body color grille and smoked emblem = .org cheapness? Interesting opinion and an interesting phrase....hmmm.....
Old 11-25-2004, 09:35 AM

lets stop the bickering and eat some more cheeseburgers
Old 11-25-2004, 11:26 AM

Hey guys lets go **** all over someone's thread for fun!

Next time just say you don't like it.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:27 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Lost the pic of the grille?? You make it sound like a Poloroid! Take another soon. Can't wait to see it. Did you smoke the front emblem, too?

Is that just rain, or ice?
lost as in accidentally deleted from the computer....
no, didn't smoke the front emblem yet, wanted to see how the grill turned out. yes...rain.

Originally Posted by topelement
Depends how you wanna look at it. There are plenty of inexpensive or even free things we can do to improve our cars or make them stand out. However, it's also easy to go overboard, and it just becomes tacky.
My maxima is pretty stock-looking on the outside, apart from a subtle drop and a few other minor things....I don't have a big wing, or body kits, or eyelids, or chrome grill or anything. So I'm not really sure how smoking a small Nissan logo emblem is "going overboard"

Originally Posted by topelemet
Oh I forgot, it's only cool if you spend big $$ on it If I "ordered" a smoked nissan logo, would you like it better? I've spent plenty of money on "real" mods, mostly suspension..... plus about $10K on renovating my house this year...so calling me cheap is pretty lame since you don't know me...We all don't own/work for auto tuning companies where we get parts cheap and have a garage to work in.....

Also, it's funny that YOU say that since YOUR maxima has a nissan emblem on the front that is painted BODY COLORED, you hypocrite, plus body-colored eyelids on your headlights...oh, but you have a ferrari, so you are just so cool. yeah!

on a related note...it seems that a few of you guys (not all of you by any means, just a few...)who own/work at auto performance shops or whatever seem to like to make fun of others who perhaps don't have the same resources at hand for car tuning/modding, or don't have access to cheap parts, etc.....that's just lame. So my weekend job is at a ski shop and I have nicer skis and snowboards than anyone here. So what? That doesn't mean I'm going to make fun of someone who has a lower-end board than me.....that' s just lame. Not everyone has thousands and thousands of $$ to throw at our vehicles, and not all of us feels the need for CF hoods or body kits for our daily drivers.....

I don't mind if someone doesn't like my mods.....fine by me. But saying someone is "cheap" is an ignorant statement.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:56 PM
retired moderator

Jeez people, it's just my opinion. I never said it looked bad, because i also have stuff that was painted to match the car. I simply don't see the point in people posting every little thing they do to the car. But in that case, i'll post pics next time i replace my windshield wipers, or I adjust my rear view mirror.
I don't mind people posting small things....it sure beats the 412th posting on "which RSB is better" or "what kit should I get" Sometimes small things give people ideas.......and the org has been short on new ideas recently, even if this isn't a "new" idea....
Old 11-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by irish44j
I don't mind people posting small things....it sure beats the 412th posting on "which RSB is better" or "what kit should I get" Sometimes small things give people ideas.......and the org has been short on new ideas recently, even if this isn't a "new" idea....
Old 11-25-2004, 07:16 PM

Jeez people, it's just my opinion. I never said it looked bad, because i also have stuff that was painted to match the car. I simply don't see the point in people posting every little thing they do to the car. But in that case, i'll post pics next time i replace my windshield wipers, or I adjust my rear view mirror.
I thought one of the purposes of a Maxima discussion board was to discuss and display modifications we've made, or are thinking about making to our cars. Whether a mod is "small" or not is only a matter of opinion.

For example, I happen to think a set of clear corners makes a huge difference, yet most non-maxima/car enthusiast type people don't even notice them. they were cheap, easy, and pretty small too.

Small upgrades is what will ultimately make our cars different from each other's

By the way, there's a post or two on here that discusses the best windshield wipers.

Sorry, but we're going to continue to discuss "small" things about our cars.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:21 PM

It looks nice, I've been thinking of smoking my emblem too.

Dude... your just an a**, but thats just my opinion.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:21 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Stevoreno007
I thought one of the purposes of a Maxima discussion board was to discuss and display modifications we've made, or are thinking about making to our cars. Whether a mod is "small" or not is a matter of opinion.

For example, I happen to think a set of clear corners makes a huge difference, yet most non-maxima/car enthusiast type people don't even notice them.

Small upgrades is what will ultimately make our cars different from each other's
well put....exactly what I meant to say.

btw, I wouldn't mind a thread about new windshield wipers, either...as long as there's a "review" of how they work vs. stock wipers or whatever
Old 11-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Hey Irish, don't pay attention to people that only talks s$it about everything. In my opinion it looks cool and would like to do it to my car.........something different for smart people who doesn't spend all their money in a car..... I think he doesn't even have a house of his own and lives with daddy..... no offense...

Post a new pic of the emblem and what kind of paint did you use... I will follow you.. I like it...
Old 11-25-2004, 09:56 PM

man i was wondering why this thread reached 23 responses....

there's a FIGHT!!!!!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:54 PM

irish, you shouldnt get so flapped up at him. at least you have better jet-ski's
Old 11-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Cletus

we arent all rich people that can afford expensive "real" mods. we work with what we have.

does anyone on here have brushed AE door sills that actually match the AE pedals? I DO!!! but i guess thats just "cheapness on display" since i only spent $2 on the sandpaper to brush them. i should have ordered custom brushed sills.
and i guess me and irish should stop being "cheap" and pay the $130 for a grounding kit instead of being smart enough to make our own (for $40)
and i guess i should waste my money on a real intake instead of being cheap and doing the GAB (which does the exact same thing...shut up..yes it does)
and i quess i should pay for silver colored bulbs instead of just painting the ones i have.
and i guess its cheap that i have a custom emblem that i put hours of work into. i should have spent money instead.
its more impressive when someone is smart enough and has enough creativeness to do something themselves instead of paying money for someone else to do all the work to make their car look nice. lazy b@stards. i value hard work over spending money. ill spend my money on important things thank you very much.

btw, emblem looks dam good. keep up the "cheapness". i respect that.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:39 AM

I wonder how a smoked emblem would look with my sterling mist paint. I bet it would be tight kinda like gun metal wheels but as an emblem. What's a good paint to get that looks good and not like spray paint. Would I need a clear also to make it shine?

p.s. emblems look good!!
Old 11-26-2004, 11:01 AM

I like it.

Irish i wouldnt pay attention to what other people have to say about cheap mods, because honestly i have alot of respect for you because of all of the money u saved doing your own little mods, and comming up w/ all of these great ideas. They dont call you the Home depot mod king for nothing.

Just my .02
Old 11-26-2004, 12:25 PM

wow....i think all the .orgers are all modded out and have nothing better to do than fight about other peoples mods. I think everything that could have been posted about has been and there lies the problem.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:00 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by FusionAcid
wow....i think all the .orgers are all modded out and have nothing better to do than fight about other peoples mods. I think everything that could have been posted about has been and there lies the problem.
true....there can only be so many threads about intakes, sway bars, and springs I guess.....now come the smaller, more boring "mods" I guess....but it all adds up.

to everyone who is defending me or telling me to "ignore" critics....thanks, but don't sweat it....I'm not concerned with critics as long as I like what I do - but I just like to argue, it's fun sometimes. None of us will ever have mods that everybody else likes, no matter what you do. Well, except S/C. I think we all like that ...so there's no need to take things personally. i don't...i just act like I do because arguing is more fun than just saying "looks good man" or "get the H&R's"

btw....whoever asked, I used a paint made by Testors called "Boyds Smoke Pearl" or something like that (bluesbrekr knows what its called, the label peeled off mine)....you can get it at hobby shops, but the guy at my local shop said that they don't make it any more so it may be hard to find...
Old 11-26-2004, 05:53 PM
† ErV †

I don't like the smoked one. It looked nice the way it was on the black paint.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:56 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
I don't like the smoked one. It looked nice the way it was on the black paint.
word....btw, do you have a GLE/GXE or SE? I only ask because the GLE/GXE have chrome/silver "Maxima" and "GLE" badges in additino to the chrome/silver hamburger. The SE has the "MAXIMA" and "SE" badges smoked (stock)....but the hamburger is still silver...I was trying to match the hamburger to the other badging. I agree though it would look bad on a GLE (unless debadged, of course)..

neways....
Old 11-26-2004, 08:10 PM

it all depends on how you view things
Old 11-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Chicken Feet Croo!

Originally Posted by FusionAcid
They're not fighting over mods, they're fighting cuz some a$$ made a stuipid comment that was uncalled for.

I am on the org all day at work (yes I get paid doing it) and reading this gives me ideas. Weather you like it or not, it creativity. If people don't like it, move on to the next thread. You know when someone doesn't have a popular idea. There is about 500 views and 1 post. Alright i'm just rambling now. Keep up the good work irish! The emblem looks sweet btw.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:21 AM

getting paid to play on the org is stupendous
Old 11-27-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by roofadoofalus
getting paid to play on the org is stupendous
yes, i would like that job someday. provided $60k + salary.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:33 PM

I can’t even see the pic right now, but something that I find funny about all this.....

The two guys that said it was typical cheapness, didn't even support maxima.org. With over 3,000 posts and no CA$H coughed up..... who is the cheap one? I personally just put up some money to help the forum keep going after realizing I have been using this resource for years. I think anyone that has been on this forum for over a year should put something into it, but if you don’t want to that is fine, just don't come out and call someone else cheap when you haven't even coughed up $25.

Cool mod or not, cheapness can be in many forms.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dblrr900
I can’t even see the pic right now, but something that I find funny about all this.....

The two guys that said it was typical cheapness, didn't even support maxima.org. With over 3,000 posts and no CA$H coughed up..... who is the cheap one? I personally just put up some money to help the forum keep going after realizing I have been using this resource for years. I think anyone that has been on this forum for over a year should put something into it, but if you don’t want to that is fine, just don't come out and call someone else cheap when you haven't even coughed up $25.

Cool mod or not, cheapness can be in many forms.
Good catch, I didn't even notice that. I just thought it was funny that he calls him cheap then comes back with "well I don't think people should post little mods", nothing about him calling the OP cheap.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:54 PM

Hawaii - I think the smoked hamburger looks pretty good on the sterling mist. I also painted the key lock in the back to get rid of any chrome.

Irish- I like it! I think it keeps the SE look for the 2001! I also like it because it ties in the stock smoked tail lights. Did you do the key lock too?
Old 11-27-2004, 06:25 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Link112
Did you do the key lock too?
Actually, I did.....totally forgot to mention it....

if it ever stops raining here when I'm not at work...I'll take some new pics. Car is so dirty right now, everything looks bad
Old 11-27-2004, 06:35 PM

Fricken Rain.... ugh. I had to fight the rain just to get the leaves up. I hate this area. When you want rain it wont rain, when you dont want it, it rains for weeks. I have washed my car the last two weeks, IN THE RAIN! I just cant stand to see it not get cleaned off, so I am like screw-it, wash that bad boy in the rain.

J - We hookin up tomorrow?
Old 11-27-2004, 06:39 PM
retired moderator

I want snow!!!!

Yeah, I'll IM you...

Quick Reply: smoked hamburger...