4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My suspension is shot to hell.... replace everything??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My suspension is shot to hell.... replace everything??

Ok, I am in Boston and our roads are horrible. I have a 97 SE w/99.8K on the ODO. The rest of the car is running fine, but the suspension is shot and perhaps some other things.

1. When I cut the wheel entirely to the left from a dead stop and try to swing a U-turn, I get this "creaking/thunking noise from the wheels... almost like someone is cracking their shoulder, only much louder and it sounds much worse.

2. Every damned pothole that I hit, the car thunks so loud and it's VERY rough... it's like I have no shocks at all...

3. The suspension feels "loose"... when I drive over a rough surface, you can just hear all kinds of rattling/thunking noises under there.

I have a friend with a '02 SE w/44K and it rides fine.. almost like when it was new. My car is fine on a smooth highway at 80 MPH... I mean, the car handles fine and is in great condition.. except for the symptoms.

Bottom line: Basically, I want to bring my car to the ride it had when it was new from the factory. I don't want to lower it or improve handling... I just want that factory ride back as if the car was new.

So, what do I need to replace? I think it's more than just shocks/struts... any suggestions on where to get parts and exact what to get would be really helpful!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Maxima Owner

check ur ball joints and tie rods..if they need replacing do it...ur struts and springs couple prolly use a replacing...at least the struts....the looseness might be ball joints..or tie rods...buy a whole control arm rom ebay....and if u do struts by KYB strut mounts they have new strut bearings in them....EBAY is great for aftermarket springs and struts and control arms....but if going OEM i would say local parts store...the dealership will rape you...but i lke being rapped for quality parts
Old 05-06-2005, 09:28 AM

Mine, a 96 with 154,000 miles on it, had similar problems only it was the front drivers side making all the noise. I had my mechanic take a look at it and I had to replace my left front axle. I knew mine needs new bushings so you may want to have yours checked out too.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The bushings on your lower control arms are probably worn out. You can replace just the bushings, but it's a lot of work. A new control are will come complete with bushings and the ball joint. It's best to replace the whole assembly rather then just the bushings. Check your tie rod ends, both inner and outter and the sway bar end links for excessive play. Replace anything that appears loose and worn out. Throw in a new set of struts and make sure the upper mounts are still tight. You can also retorque the subframe bolts. Basically just use an impact gun set at full blast and make sure every bolt is tight.

That should bring your cars ride back to what it once was and quiet down some of the creaking you hear.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If it doesn't shake at 80mph, its probably ball joints and or tie rods. You can get the whole lower arm for like $110 from thepartsbin.com which comes with new bushing I think.

Struts and strut mounts are possibilities too, but i am more certain about it being a ball joint.

If you have interests in diagnosing this yourself, or even replacing the parts yourself, there are many here that can go into more detail. A Haynes manual will walk you through it as well.

Good luck,
JB
Old 05-06-2005, 01:16 PM

Crunk crunk sound you hearing is from worn strut bearing...check this site on how to fix
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/703

Lower control arms can be bought from Ebay..roughly around $75.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:11 PM

Ive got a click when turning at a standstill.... I had a clackin from the right side on rough roads... New strut, Strut mount, cv boot and labor for 250. Good Price?