General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 09:51 AM

If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

A word of advice, when you pay for anything, always check if the shipping costs includes insurance.

I shelled out $47 for a FSTB from another .org member, didn't even think about insurance and the bar fell out of its packaging.

The seller says that since I didn't ask for insurance, I'll basically have to take most of the hit.

You'd think that a FSTB wouldn't need insurance coz it won't get damaged, but you'd never think the bar would actually fall out of the packaging.

Basically, ask for insurance. In the future, I'd probably not deal with that particular .org member again (even if it may not have been his fault) just because of how this deal turned out.

Sorry, venting!
Old 06-20-2002, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

Originally posted by pocketrocket
A word of advice, when you pay for anything, always check if the shipping costs includes insurance.

I shelled out $47 for a FSTB from another .org member, didn't even think about insurance and the bar fell out of its packaging.

The seller says that since I didn't ask for insurance, I'll basically have to take most of the hit.

You'd think that a FSTB wouldn't need insurance coz it won't get damaged, but you'd never think the bar would actually fall out of the packaging.

Basically, ask for insurance. In the future, I'd probably not deal with that particular .org member again (even if it may not have been his fault) just because of how this deal turned out.

Sorry, venting!
how is the seller going to blame you for shoddy packaging??? if they sent it via the post office then you can't complain....but if it was sent via UPS then complain to UPS....

all items that are sent via UPS have to be well packaged before shipping....if it isn't..they wont ship it!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:27 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I'm going through the same situation right now. Bought some lights from a fellow .org member and got it broken. He had it insured but still haven't gotten the money back yet. How long does the process take?
Old 06-20-2002, 10:42 AM

Re: Re: If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

Items shipped via UPS are automatically insured for $50.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:51 AM

Since when? When I've used UPS I had automatic 100 buck insurance. Maybe they've changed it up? Nissan gives UPS advice on decontenting. LOL.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Neal728
Since when? When I've used UPS I had automatic 100 buck insurance. Maybe they've changed it up? Nissan gives UPS advice on decontenting. LOL.
Maybe it is $100, I know its at least $50 though
Old 06-20-2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by amixam98
I'm going through the same situation right now. Bought some lights from a fellow .org member and got it broken. He had it insured but still haven't gotten the money back yet. How long does the process take?
when I made a complaint for a damaged item through UPS the entire process took 3 weeks
Old 06-20-2002, 02:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm thinking you were scammed! What are the odds of an FSTB puncturing a hole inside a box and everything being gone! That ridiculous! The packaging really must have been horrible and even then, you would need some bad luck. In my book, it is seller's responsibility to ensure that your package gets to you safely. Being paranoid, I think someone may have poked a hole in a box and then sent it off empty...
Old 06-20-2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh
I'm thinking you were scammed! What are the odds of an FSTB puncturing a hole inside a box and everything being gone! That ridiculous! The packaging really must have been horrible and even then, you would need some bad luck. In my book, it is seller's responsibility to ensure that your package gets to you safely. Being paranoid, I think someone may have poked a hole in a box and then sent it off empty...
It was sent USPS (not UPS) so no automatic insurance. And he says it's my burden because I didn't ask for insurance.

Insure a FSTB against damage How the heck can a FSTB get damaged?

The cardboard roll that contained the bar was not damaged (torn), but the tape had come off cleanly on one side so the contents probably fell out. Seller says he had packaged it well and says that since I didn't ask for insurance, it's my burden. Lousy seller ethic I think. He's offered to pay $10 to me (I paid freaking $47!!!) as a good will gesture (good will? to who?)

I feel I got screwed ... I'm pis*ed off at him at this point. I should have just got a FSTB from Stealth Max.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:43 PM

In my book, it is seller's responsibility to ensure that your package gets to you safely.
I agree, but what say do I have? The thought of insurance never crossed my mind for a FSTB, would you?

I feel like simply declining my credit card (via Paypal) to him but I didn't ask for insurance so what credibility do I have to stop the payment?

In my opinion, he simply lacks seller ethics. How do deals on the .org work?

You ask the guy sho's selling how much shipped ... and you pay the fella. End of story. You don't ask about insurance, tracking #s, shipping method, etc ... you pay whatever the seller asks.

He never asked me if I wanted insurance, dam*n this fella!
Old 06-20-2002, 03:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

I agree, but what say do I have? The thought of insurance never crossed my mind for a FSTB, would you?

I feel like simply declining my credit card (via Paypal) to him but I didn't ask for insurance so what credibility do I have to stop the payment?

In my opinion, he simply lacks seller ethics. How do deals on the .org work?

You ask the guy sho's selling how much shipped ... and you pay the fella. End of story. You don't ask about insurance, tracking #s, shipping method, etc ... you pay whatever the seller asks.

He never asked me if I wanted insurance, dam*n this fella!
you should have refused delivery when you saw the condition of the package at the post office then they would have sent it back to him and you could have gotten a refund....cause that had to be some cheap as$ tape to have come off the box!
Old 06-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Jer

If you paid with creditcard, does your card company have any kind of protection against occurances such as this one?
In my case, I've lost $242 to a member who is refusing to refund me my cash for an item he never shipped - we agreed for a refund and we're at 50 days since I paid him. More to follow on that in the 5th gen forum if I don't hear back from him by 5pm Friday. I HATE it when people decide they wanna screw you over!

Sorry, venting!
Old 06-20-2002, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

Originally posted by thicknes

you should have refused delivery when you saw the condition of the package at the post office then they would have sent it back to him and you could have gotten a refund....cause that had to be some cheap as$ tape to have come off the box!
But I was not home, package was left at my door step. Plus, no insurance, should the post office even care?

Jer, I think I will call up my credit card and ask them if they offer protection against this.

Incidents like this deter me from buying anything from individuals
I just bought a cargonet from another .org member, I asked him about insurance and paid extra just so this wouldn't happen.

I'm willing to pay more for insurance, just don't screw with me when something happens by saying it's my fault.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

But I was not home, package was left at my door step. Plus, no insurance, should the post office even care?

in the instance of it being left at the door then you would complain to the postal supervisor about the individual who is responsible for your mail delivery route

I wish you luck!!!

i'm waiting till Greg has them later on this month on custommaxima.com to by my fstb....not like you care

nette
Old 06-20-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by thicknes

how is the seller going to blame you for shoddy packaging??? if they sent it via the post office then you can't complain....but if it was sent via UPS then complain to UPS....

all items that are sent via UPS have to be well packaged before shipping....if it isn't..they wont ship it!
Not to get too technical, but most times, and I think in this case too, items are considered FOB destination. That means that the shipper pays the shipping costs (though often they charge you for it) and they also bear the responsibility all the way to the destination. That means you don't have to accept it, especially when damaged--at least by visual inspection.

An example would be say you order a Dell computer and don't want it--even Dell tells you to refuse shipment. It then goes back to Dell and you are not liable. IF they charged you shipping you wont get it back, if it were free shipping you wont lose a dime. But it will take them about 75 days to give you a credit!!!! I know from experience!!

Anyway, rather than insure everything, it's better to be diligent about accepting it. I shipped 85,000 worth of circuit packs back to a vendor and insured it. Cost us alot of money and of course it reached its destination without a hitch. Waste of money. Insurance. POOH a shady industry.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:55 PM

Pocket Rocket,
Did ANYTHING come in the box? Not the end pieces, bolts to join the end pieces to the bar, not anything? Most FSTB's I've seen don't have the end pieces welded on to the bar... it's is usually secured by a bolt and somewhat adjustable for small variations in widths from tower to tower. I doubt he would send the FSTB with the end pieces attached (making the bar extremely long). Just to check, make sure the box is at least the length of the the bar with mounting brackets. Thing is, if the whole box was empty, it is nearly impossible for a bar with brackets attached to puncture the box so violently as to have the entire thing slide out. The brackets would make that difficult--near impossible. It is NOT unthinkable that somewhat in the Postal service may have tampered with the uninsured box but in general that is hard to do since packages are much more watched than say UPS where theft is relatively common.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

Pocket Rocket,
Did ANYTHING come in the box? Not the end pieces, bolts to join the end pieces to the bar, not anything
The strut mounts + bolts were sent separately (I got those a day before). The strut bar came the next day ... let me rephrase that, an empty, heavy-duty cardboard roll came the next day.

I am certain the bar was shipped, I just don't appreciate it when I'm blamed for this screw up. I'm going to call USPS tomorrow and see what they say, then I'll get in touch with my insurance company.

I'm surious: even if it were insured, the package shows no sign of shipping damage (tape came off cleanly on one end), would USPS accept liability for the package ar refuse it? I ask because I had a TV shipped by UPS to me once, it got damaged and upon inspection, UPS refused to cover the damage because the TV was not packaged properly to withstand regular shipping 'shock'
Old 06-20-2002, 06:55 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

It was sent USPS (not UPS) so no automatic insurance. And he says it's my burden because I didn't ask for insurance.

Insure a FSTB against damage How the heck can a FSTB get damaged?

The cardboard roll that contained the bar was not damaged (torn), but the tape had come off cleanly on one side so the contents probably fell out. Seller says he had packaged it well and says that since I didn't ask for insurance, it's my burden. Lousy seller ethic I think. He's offered to pay $10 to me (I paid freaking $47!!!) as a good will gesture (good will? to who?)

I feel I got screwed ... I'm pis*ed off at him at this point. I should have just got a FSTB from Stealth Max.
yes i know it's unforunate but if you didn't pay for insurance he is right, if he packed it up properly and something happened it's not his fault. although i know it one of my customers got a midpipe with say a broken pipe in the mail i would send them out another right away without question.

-steve
Old 06-20-2002, 07:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If ever you buy anything, always insist on insurance.

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
if he packed it up properly and something happened it's not his fault.

-steve
but it doesn't seem to me that the bar was packaged properly. If the bar was put in a cardboard roll with the only thing on the ends being tape, I think that is inadequate. The whole thing should be in cardboard, including the ends which can be folded to create a complete enclosure. Standard packing tape is extremely strong in securing cardboard but is inadequate if used to serve as a barrier itself.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

but it doesn't seem to me that the bar was packaged properly. If the bar was put in a cardboard roll with the only thing on the ends being tape, I think that is inadequate. The whole thing should be in cardboard, including the ends which can be folded to create a complete enclosure. Standard packing tape is extremely strong in securing cardboard but is inadequate if used to serve as a barrier itself.
true, the USPS even GIVES AWAY boxes that will fit a FSTB. all carboard ends and all.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:17 PM

Our legal system, as it relates to transactions, is based on the tenet of caveat emptor: Let the buyer beware. If you buy anything sight unseen, from a faceless/unknown person, from anywhere outside easy driving distance, you assume some risk.

You upset over $47? Keep your loss in perspective. My insurance company wants to total my car, and is not going to cover *any* of my mods. Know what I paid for those parts, not including shipping costs and labor? I paid $12,500!

The .org member who offered you $10 back is being generous. Consider yourself fortunate. You just learned an important lesson, and it only cost you $47.

You want to know what frustration is? Agree to take the $10, and then see what happens...
Old 06-20-2002, 07:19 PM

My opinion: If it was packed well, there should be no reason for the tape & end packing to come cleanly off.

His opinion: When I packed the bar, the part that you said came off was sealed with cloth stuff down the tube and then with cardboard and paper prices taping the opening shut, I guess because of USPS'S shipping method, they somehow tore the package open, it is not my fault, it was packed well. You did not get Insurance or request it. If you are not willing to take the loss (because I won't, it was shipped right, and the bar was put on the car and taken off 2 hours later, not used in my opinion), maybe we can work something out with USPS. Once again, though, in my opinion, it was packaged well based on what I described above, and I consider it not to be my fault.

He is correct, I never asked for insurance and I cannot dispute that

Sellers, please give your buyers the option of insurance next time. Don't push the blame to the buyer because they didn't "ask or request for insurance"
Old 06-20-2002, 08:29 PM

So much of this is the shipper's responsibility- I ship stuff out to .org members every day- The parts have to be packed very well! Last fall we ate a $500+ '02 HID that UPS broke- We filed a claim & UPS said "go pound sand"- What do you tell your customer at this point? We said: "yes, sir, another one is on the way" If you're gonna sell parts mail-order, you have to be prepared to cover things in the interest of customer service.
Regards,
David Burnette
Old 06-21-2002, 04:27 AM

David

I agree with you too ... all I can say is, this seller feels he's doing MORE than his part by offering me a partial refund. I paid him $47 total ($40 including shipping, $7 paypal fees) and "out of his goodwill," he's offering to pay me $15 back.

Lack of seller etiquette! Talk about being screwed, let this be a lessson to others: get insurance.

Lesson to self:
1) Never buy from this org member (because I don't agree with his principles of blaming the buyer for the screw up).
2) Always ask for insurance.

Sellers, I ask that you always tell them whether insurance is included, and let them decide whether to waive it or not. Then, the burden falls on the buyer if anything screws up and there's no insurance.