Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Nitrous (https://maxima.org/forums/nitrous-40/)
-   -   Please Read before posting: Nitrous FAQ's (https://maxima.org/forums/nitrous/123775-please-read-before-posting-nitrous-faqs.html)

mtrai760 11-19-2002 08:21 AM

Nitrous FAQ's

I'll start by posting links to a few threads that are very helpful along with credit for each... and it's Nitrous not NOS or nawz... ;)

Article by: mtrai760

Article by: Jime

Article by: sx7r

Article by: Mardigrasmax

Please feel free to add USEFUL information, and post questions elsewhere. We can get a FAQ started here. No PW's please, thank you. :kiss:

SmoothMax 11-19-2002 12:59 PM

Here's a short explination on how Nitrous works courtesty of howstuffworks.com

mtrai760 11-19-2002 07:47 PM

Q: Which nitrous kit can I use, and which is the best?

A: It's really up to you. Nitrous express, Zex, and NOS all make kits that have proven reliable on many members cars. Some prefer one over the other, but they are all good kits.

Sprint 11-20-2002 07:16 AM

Installation Instructions for NOS Kit #5124

http://64.252.156.63/nos/Matt_NOS_Instructions.pdf

NB: Please Right Click and Save.. Viewing the PDF will bog down my server :)

*** Adobe Acrobat Reader Download ***

http://64.252.156.63/~doug/adobe.gif

its a free download and is required to view this installation instruction file

SmoothMax 11-20-2002 11:01 AM

Basic "Dry" setup

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/.../nitrous02.gif

SmoothMax 11-20-2002 11:03 AM

Basic "wet" setup

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/.../nitrous01.gif

jmartinson 03-28-2003 09:28 AM

DIY Nitrous for Budget minded folks

build your own hardware kit:
http://nitrous.info

build your own multistage controller:
http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/electech/F...al-Project.pdf

xHypex 06-05-2003 01:10 PM

Nitrous Information from NissanPerformanceMag.com - June 2003
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/june03/ask_sarah/
The article is pretty thorough, and seems to take the conservative approach (as if that's a bad thing).
-hype

Pinnacle 07-20-2003 08:36 PM

i see ther is no link under SmoothMax's "wet" or "dry" setups.. That is exactly my question - what is the difference?

KiLLeR2002se 08-12-2003 07:34 AM

Dont you see how the nozzles are different in the setups?
In a wet kit, the fuel and nitrous mix together 50/50 in a nozzle then enters the throttle body premixed for best results. No tuning necessary.

The dry kit has only a nitrous line connected to that nozzle. Letting nitrous in to the throttle body and bumping up the fuel pressure and the injectors supply the fuel for the nitrous and mixes in the combustion chamber.

Obviously, the wet kit will mix better.

xHypex 08-12-2003 09:13 AM

Originally posted by KiLLeR2002se
Dont you see how the nozzles are different in the setups?
In a wet kit, the fuel and nitrous mix together 50/50 in a nozzle then enters the throttle body premixed for best results. No tuning necessary.

The dry kit has only a nitrous line connected to that nozzle. Letting nitrous in to the throttle body and bumping up the fuel pressure and the injectors supply the fuel for the nitrous and mixes in the combustion chamber.

Obviously, the wet kit will mix better.

I have no problems with wet kits, and if I hadn't considered using nitrous with forced induction I would have a wet kit. That said, could you be any more biased in your posts :rolleyes: I agree that a wet kit will probably have slightly (depending on the shot) better distribution to the individual cylinders, but I don't agree that it will be mixed better by the time it hits the cylinder. If it was that beneficial to introduce fuel with the nitrous in the intake path then no one would want a direct port setup expecially NX's NXL setup.

Go with whatever setup suits you best, but be sure to take a look at the whole picture before you purchase.
-hype

KiLLeR2002se 08-12-2003 08:02 PM

I agree with you my post is strongly biased, but for an obvious reason. Sure you can get a good mixture with a NOS system, but how much tuning will it take you to achieve that? I just belive a premixed shot is much better then letting it mix in the cumbustion chamber.
The best way to distribute nitrous evenly is obviously a DP setup. But the lowest shot is a 150 for dp.

Beemen550 12-23-2003 01:58 PM

deletedddddd

Jime 04-18-2004 01:16 PM

Jet Sizes for NX, Zex and NOS

http://jime.homeip.net/maximase/jet.jpg

baughb 05-18-2004 09:20 PM

Dry
https://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSe...fo/DrySyst.jpg
Wet
https://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSe...fo/WetSyst.jpg
'Direct Port'
https://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSe...o/PortSyst.jpg

CyMax 04-17-2005 09:37 PM

Ok sooooooo let's look at this in terms of engine safety over the long haul. If I have set up blank and use it once in a while for say 4 or 5 years, what are the chances, per system that I will send a totally fork my engine?

mtrai760 04-18-2005 09:24 AM

Any system with proper tuning and maintenance (for both the car and the nitrous system) should last many many years. This is assuming of course that your engine is in proper condition, that you use the proper safety devices, etc etc. It's all going to depend on you, there is no definitive answer.

Originally Posted by CyMax
Ok sooooooo let's look at this in terms of engine safety over the long haul. If I have set up blank and use it once in a while for say 4 or 5 years, what are the chances, per system that I will send a totally fork my engine?

KRRZ350 11-19-2005 04:04 PM

Zex makes an electronic tps sensing switch that works with our dropping voltage tps. Simply wire it in, push a button, watch the lights, floor the car, watch the lights again, and the voltage curve is learned, no more ghetto wot micro-switch!

2002AltimateV6 12-20-2005 01:07 PM

Automatic Transmission + NITROUS

It seems during all my searches I haven't really found anything that answered questions on wether it's safe or not to spray during when the transmission was shifting? Basically like, once the tree falls and hits green and you're off, would it be safe (at WOT, of course) to keep the "button" pressed and have the nitrous sprayed through-out the entire 12-13 seconds during your race, through every shift?

Also- I've read a bit up ont he concept of "nitrous backfire." I know this is caused either when nitrous is pooled up in the intake/manifold and spark hits it and BOOM, or when too much nitrous/fuel is injected without the required amount of air (below 1,000RPM's) but what about everyone that uses nitrous from off the line? How are they immune to this concept? Or is this "nitrous backfire" all a matter of wether or not you're at WOT?

mtrai760 12-20-2005 01:32 PM

On both a manual and auto setup you have a WOT switch, or wide open throttle, that only allows nitrous to spray when the throttle is all the way open. What that means is on a manual, unless you are trying to destroy your transmission by power shifting, you will not be spraying between shifts. On an automatic, it is okay to spray between shifts, however I recommend you have a window switch, just in case your transmission fails, you won't also take out the motor. The window switch is recommended for the manual as well.
On nitrous backfires, it can happen at any time. The best thing to do is to have a wideband A/F meter to show if you are running to rich or lean. Many of them can be setup to shut off your nitrous if you exceed certain perameters. Its usually not a matter of too much of both pooling, but of the fuel pooling. This is primarily an issue with wet kits, however if you keep everything setup and running properly, as well as have the requisite A/F gauge (wideband, not the autometer light show) You should be fine.

gunzs 12-28-2007 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by mtrai760 (Post 3781706)
On both a manual and auto setup you have a WOT switch, or wide open throttle, that only allows nitrous to spray when the throttle is all the way open. What that means is on a manual, unless you are trying to destroy your transmission by power shifting, you will not be spraying between shifts. On an automatic, it is okay to spray between shifts, however I recommend you have a window switch, just in case your transmission fails, you won't also take out the motor. The window switch is recommended for the manual as well.
On nitrous backfires, it can happen at any time. The best thing to do is to have a wideband A/F meter to show if you are running to rich or lean. Many of them can be setup to shut off your nitrous if you exceed certain perameters. Its usually not a matter of too much of both pooling, but of the fuel pooling. This is primarily an issue with wet kits, however if you keep everything setup and running properly, as well as have the requisite A/F gauge (wideband, not the autometer light show) You should be fine.

well that answer half my qustion i have a zex 75 horse kit ,my problem is that my system feels like it spools up like turbo ? is that how it suppoed to feel? is that maybe the pooling you guys are saying?this is my first nitros kit, i also had a company install it so not to sure on all. i have tooken it back couple time and they all say its cool but i just dont feel like its at potential. my buddy got 5th gen too but he uses 100 shot and diffent system but seems like his so much powefull .if someone could school me more i it would be great,i have read threads but need it broken down better for me thanks guys

2002AltimateV6 12-28-2007 11:11 PM

Do you have a purge? That gradual feeling could be air/stale nitrous left in the line that has to be pushed through before it gets the fresh nitrous into the intake. But that's only if you don't have a purge. And trust me, a 100 shot is a NIGHT & DAY difference compared to a 75 shot. Sure it's only 25 more HP, but man oh man.. it hits so much harder.

gunzs 01-01-2008 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2002AltimateV6 (Post 6159437)
Do you have a purge? That gradual feeling could be air/stale nitrous left in the line that has to be pushed through before it gets the fresh nitrous into the intake. But that's only if you don't have a purge. And trust me, a 100 shot is a NIGHT & DAY difference compared to a 75 shot. Sure it's only 25 more HP, but man oh man.. it hits so much harder.

first off thanks for helping me out, yea have purge kit. yea i do hit the purge buuton before i go looks great comming out from the hood!! i put 100 jets in same feeling even went up to 125 (unbelievable) power there but still feels like its spooling up like turbo, my buddy says that maybe they didit that way to be safe on moter? does that sound right? i have a venom engine mangement onboard computer but the people lock me out of the nos screen so i cant make any fine adjustments with the nos iwas running 14.5 before nitos upgrade what do u thin i should be running with that? thank for helping me out taking away your time gabe aka gunzs... SHIFT_ tiket

Grand_hustle17 01-21-2008 03:57 PM

i've got a 5th gen auto, and im looking at a dyno tuned wet kit, now im a nitrous noob, but i was thinking of a 100 shot... my question is instead of a safc, can i use a greddy e-manage, and is there anything i need to change with a 100 shot??? i am already changing injectors, anything else? thanks... oh and also with any kit, does it also comes with everything ready for installation?

happy4444 02-18-2008 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17 (Post 6203217)
i've got a 5th gen auto, and im looking at a dyno tuned wet kit, now im a nitrous noob, but i was thinking of a 100 shot... my question is instead of a safc, can i use a greddy e-manage, and is there anything i need to change with a 100 shot??? i am already changing injectors, anything else? thanks... oh and also with any kit, does it also comes with everything ready for installation?

bump for answer

SLPMAXDuP 02-24-2008 09:27 AM

" And trust me, a 100 shot is a NIGHT & DAY difference compared to a 75 shot. Sure it's only 25 more HP, but man oh man.. it hits so much harder."

Are NOS shots measured by HP? I've never looked into them, but I always figured it was volume

MoncefA33 06-29-2008 10:37 AM

I am looking at running between 60-75 shot nitrous (dry), and had a few questions regarding my 01 Maxima handling it.

The car is a 5 speed, and has about 107k on it, which is quite a bit, but the car has been well taken care of, maintenance wise.

I am interested in the ZEX dry kit, and am wondering, does the "Nitrous Management Unit" have an FPR inside it, to bump up fuel pressure? And will my stock injectors be able to support upto 75hp jetting?

Also, how would other internal components be able to support that much nitrous? And would I need a wideband O2 and something to tune with, or would that purple box be able to handle fuel enrichment adequately?

07whitey 02-17-2009 09:15 AM

you kno it kinda weird actually i have been wantin to make a post on this i jus got my nitrous installed(75 shot zex on a 07) and it shot in maybe a boost leak and blew out my egr valve(power valve) and destroyed my throttle body and threw two codes one being and idle range and tps sensor and im getting a slip and tcs and brake also...omeone help me well actually us!

streetzlegend 02-17-2009 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 07whitey (Post 6876243)
you kno it kinda weird actually i have been wantin to make a post on this i jus got my nitrous installed(75 shot zex on a 07) and it shot in maybe a boost leak and blew out my egr valve(power valve) and destroyed my throttle body and threw two codes one being and idle range and tps sensor and im getting a slip and tcs and brake also...omeone help me well actually us!

That's called a nitrous backfire, it means fuel puddled at the intake runners and ignited causing an explosion inside your intake manifold, so the pressure goes out the easiest places like the TB and egr. This is not a good thing and your lucky you didnt blow the intake manifold through your hood or worse. maybe a fuel solenoid got stuck open, or too much fuel is being used as compared to the nitrous.

07whitey 02-18-2009 03:39 AM

so u think i should take it back to the place i got it installed and say her can u jus look over everythin make sure everythin is ok all the lines and stuff or what u think i shud do to prevent it again

streetzlegend 02-18-2009 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 07whitey (Post 6877557)
so u think i should take it back to the place i got it installed and say her can u jus look over everythin make sure everythin is ok all the lines and stuff or what u think i shud do to prevent it again

Yea, make sure they installed the proper size jets, and make sure the solenoids are fine and not stuck open like the fuel, just look over everything, its not normal to have a backfire, unless you hit the rev limiter, or sprayed it too early in RPM, try not spraying below 3k rpm. 1st gear maybe, since it rev's fast, but as a precaution

07whitey 02-19-2009 03:55 AM

ok cool cuz that weird cuz i ordered the jets myseld from zex and they give u the rite size jet for the shot want ill check it to see if they messed up and what solenoids like were r they located at?

maxima415 04-10-2009 03:59 PM

can i run a zex wet 75 shot without any other mods?

jake8524 08-11-2009 08:01 PM

I have a 97 se 5 speed.What would be the biggest shot (dry) i could put on it without any more upgrades?

02specvq 08-11-2009 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by maxima415 (Post 6976289)
can i run a zex wet 75 shot without any other mods?

yea a lot of people run 75 shot wothout any upgrades...i wouldn't recommend going any bigger though...

blackmaxftw 09-16-2010 10:49 AM

Hwats the part number for the 2 step colder ngk plugs

MaximaZsl 10-25-2010 09:54 PM

Nitrous Help!

I have a 2004 6th gen I want to put a wet kit on I want some advice from people that have seen or owned a 6th gen on spray