Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Zex kit activates at WOT?? -->

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 09:30 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Zex kit activates at WOT?? -->

If that is true then that means as soon as I stomp on the gas in 1st gear, the nitrous will spray and my tires will completely break lose. Wouldn't it be better if the n20 sprayed at a certain RPM and then stopped just before the shift and then sprayed again as soon as next gear engages? How does the Zex kit work? They say it activates at WOT and to me, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

I am shopping around for a simple/safe 50-60 shot and I have pretty much narrowed it down to Zex. If anybody has a different opinion or any comments, please post. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:11 PM
Battle Max

Im running a zex set up in my max right now and your right the way zex is set up a wire taps into your Throttle Positioning Sensor (TPS). When you program it you have to turn the key to the on position and press down the peddle till your at WOT you hear solenoids click then you are set to go..

so yes once you flip the toggle switch on as soon as your foot reaches WOT the nitrous will spray...to prevent this you can purchase a window switch made from MSD. By using pills you can program at what specific rpms you want the nitrous to engage and turn off...most people on the org usually set it to spray at 3k and shut down at 6k...this is a great safety precaution because you dont want to spray at a too low or high rpm...The switch itself runs for around 70 bucks but you have to send it in to msd so they can reprogram it to work with our maxes and is around another 35 bucks..Right now i havent got around to purchasing one so what im doing is im only spraying in 3rd gear until i can get everything else going.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Old 11-22-2002, 04:53 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can also get a $50 window switch from here that will work on our cars without any modification.

Either way, you really do need to get one.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by ejj
You can also get a $50 window switch from here that will work on our cars without any modification.

Either way, you really do need to get one.
Winner, Winner chicken dinner!!!!

Aaron, what you are describing in your post is exactly what a window switch does. As ejj put it, in a 5spd you really need one anyway since it's not good to spray between gears or while bouncing off the limiter.

Another solution would be to use the old F&F way to engage your system...manually. Realize you are taking your engine's life into your hands a whole lot quicker.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I run the Zex successfully in my 4th gen and I originally only flipped the arming switch at about 3500 rpm...

now I have a harness that will not allow me to reach that far forward and I remoted a micro switch on a 2 foot lead wrapped in wire loom...I can keep in my hand until I want to open the nitrous solenoid.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:24 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
Another solution would be to use the old F&F way to engage your system...manually. Realize you are taking your engine's life into your hands a whole lot quicker.
Are you saying that any nitrous would be bad for my car? Or are you just saying that the old way is dangerous?
Old 11-22-2002, 11:11 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

The more you automate everything, the safer ANY nitrous will be for your car.

Originally posted by Aaron92SE

Are you saying that any nitrous would be bad for my car? Or are you just saying that the old way is dangerous?
Old 11-24-2002, 04:17 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by mtrai760
The more you automate everything, the safer ANY nitrous will be for your car.

Ok I have the Zex kit....havent sprayed yet but I just verified it works. I also have a MSD window switch (purchased from tiifosiv) thats modded for our car. How exactly do I hook it up?

I read that you can tap your #1 coil pack wire..... He didnt have the instructions. I suppose MSD's site has them. Thanks for your help!

Aaron
Old 11-28-2002, 01:06 PM

I also have the Zex kit

I have the older Zex kit, and since my max didn't put out over 4 volts, i had to bypass that system with a toggle switch. I still use the arming switch to arm it, then whenever I want, I just push a red button like on F&F and it sprays...then let go of the button and it stops. This way I can control at what RPM it sprays. I have an automatic so, don't have to worry about shifting and pushing the button at the same time.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyMax
I have the older Zex kit, and since my max didn't put out over 4 volts, i had to bypass that system with a toggle switch. I still use the arming switch to arm it, then whenever I want, I just push a red button like on F&F and it sprays...then let go of the button and it stops. This way I can control at what RPM it sprays. I have an automatic so, don't have to worry about shifting and pushing the button at the same time.

Get the ZEX kit it is SAFE and Reliable!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 05:15 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks for ressurecting this thread.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE

No.

What I was trying to elude to mtrai beat me to. All systems come totally automatic, as far as engagement goes. Activation is always manual. This is the safest way because it has a couple of "safeties" that way. What I was trying to say is that you can always activate it MANUALLY anytime you want to by nailing the gas, watching the rpms to the desired range, and activating the system. This is not dangerous because you will engage @ WOT anyway.

If you do the F&F way, you will have to bypass the safeties and hard wire it to come on at the push of a button. I believe that's how mikeymax has his. This is more dangerous for the novice because if you engage the system either before you have enough fuel flowing or accidentally bouncing off the limiter.....well, you know what will happen.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:26 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by JAIMECBR900
No.

What I was trying to elude to mtrai beat me to. All systems come totally automatic, as far as engagement goes. Activation is always manual. This is the safest way because it has a couple of "safeties" that way. What I was trying to say is that you can always activate it MANUALLY anytime you want to by nailing the gas, watching the rpms to the desired range, and activating the system. This is not dangerous because you will engage @ WOT anyway.

If you do the F&F way, you will have to bypass the safeties and hard wire it to come on at the push of a button. I believe that's how mikeymax has his. This is more dangerous for the novice because if you engage the system either before you have enough fuel flowing or accidentally bouncing off the limiter.....well, you know what will happen.
Yes I know all this now. But I didn't a year ago. Look at the date. But thanks for the help anyway.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Old 12-01-2003, 11:24 AM

ok question about the window switch on the zex kit. how do you hook it up to the zex managment unit so it turns on and off at the certian rpm's instead of just when you floor it? do you just put the rpm switch to the arming wire or will that mess things up?