Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

window switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Hoooper

window switch

does anybody here have an auto WITHOUT a window switch? is it really necessary? it looks like they have a buttload of wiring, is the wiring pretty tough/time consuming?

Old 01-22-2006, 07:18 AM
You will lose

You don't really need a window switch on an auto. I ran mine without one for a long time. As long as you have a WOT switch, you will be fine. Don't lock the car in a gear, leave it in Drive.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:18 PM

but for example on drop resistor. wouldnt spraying while it shifts be bad for the transmission rather than stop the spray before shift and start again as soon as it shifts.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I never used a window switch with the DR mod and did a lot of spraying with no problems up to a 150 shot on a 4th gen.

The only reason I bought a window switch was for the 2k2, the 3-4 shift was sooooo slow (its electronic) I turned of the nitrous for that shift only.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by Jime
The only reason I bought a window switch was for the 2k2, the 3-4 shift was sooooo slow (its electronic) I turned of the nitrous for that shift only.
i dont plan to go over 115 on the quarter and im only gonna be juicing on the quarter. so since i wont be shifting 3-4 i wont need a window switch?
thanks guys

Old 01-27-2006, 12:31 PM

damn jime but its a lil scary. the car n/a already shifts pretty hard with dr, i imagine with nitrous spraying while shifting with dr it will feel like a gear is going to brake. im going to spray 50 for a while so i dont kno if its o.k. for me not to use the window switch.?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Turbo 3.5

would it be possible to run a wot switch to arm the spray and have a buttom on the steering wheel to spray and when the car is ready to shift take your finger off the buttom shift and press the buttom again
Old 02-18-2006, 05:33 PM

Sure, just wire the button in series with the wot switch. My setup was always run like that.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:38 PM

ok so if I am using a WOT switch with my auto tranny, I shouldn't spray while shifting from 3rd to 4th? because its a long shift?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by dafertilizer
ok so if I am using a WOT switch with my auto tranny, I shouldn't spray while shifting from 3rd to 4th? because its a long shift?
That was my 5.5 Gen, my 4th Gen was ok on the 3-4 shift with the DR mod.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:02 AM

btw jime, did u upgrade the fuel pump on the 5th gen, or does it already have a good enough pump to handle 100?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 AM

I ran a 1 gal fuel cell with a separate pump, regulator etc.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:17 AM

Nice, Did you have this same setup with the 4th gen? also, is there any remote valve or some sort of solonoid to switch between A and B? rather than doing it manually
Old 02-20-2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Nice, Did you have this same setup with the 4th gen? also, is there any remote valve or some sort of solonoid to switch between A and B? rather than doing it manually
Similar setup for the 4th Gen except I didn't have the line run to the fuel rail like in the above diag.

No remote switch, but that is possible, I just used 1/4" ***** for a quick change. I only used it at the track so never really considered a remote valve.

Here is where it was located on my 4th Gen. Pssst, don't show this to anyone its top secret.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Turbo 3.5

could some-1 help my
what is a wb02 and how do you tune it
I was told I could tune my air to fuel mixture with this, if this is not true is there anyway to do this without mailing my ecu to have is done
I would like to do it myself since I would be able to look at my dyno slip and adjust
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Ok so I WANT to use the Venom VCN 1000 kit on my 2002 Maxima 4AT.

http://www.venom-performance.com/ind...ontent=vcn1000

Do i HAVE to have a window switch because the car is drive-by-wire? Or is it the same to hook up as a TPS car? The unit calls for a TPS sensor and to hook up the reading wire to it to tell wot, is this still possible and easy? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Ive read so many different things I dont know what is correct information, no one has elaborated on this topic as far as google searching permits for me to know.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM

I'm assuming the 350z uses drive by wire as well and the kit I am getting says it supports that as well as general "nissans" man im so lost.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Someone please just help me out. All i need to know is if the 2002 maxima requires a window switch for a normal nitrous kit because of drive by wire....

As in, with a regular kit, is there a way for the tps sensor wire to be connected to my car without the use of a window switch that works the same way!??!??!!?

THANKs so much to whomever can help!!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:59 AM
You will lose

There is a part you should order from Nitrous Express which is a TPS switch. You can program it to the DBW to activate at WOT. You still don't need a window switch IMO.

This is the TPS switch that I would use. I used it on my Mustang with great results.
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/produc...ils.php?id=336
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TAPOUT
There is a part you should order from Nitrous Express which is a TPS switch. You can program it to the DBW to activate at WOT. You still don't need a window switch IMO.

This is the TPS switch that I would use. I used it on my Mustang with great results.
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/produc...ils.php?id=336
Is this fairly easy to install? easier than a window switch? I guess i dont understand what it does exactly when you say "program".

I read somewhere that there is a wire that comes off the sensor on the pedal that gives a accending voltage read equal to a tps sensor? know anything about that? Im trying to find out of I could tap that line.

Thank you so much for responding.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
You will lose

Originally Posted by TheOnlyDRAGooN
Is this fairly easy to install? easier than a window switch? I guess i dont understand what it does exactly when you say "program".

I read somewhere that there is a wire that comes off the sensor on the pedal that gives a accending voltage read equal to a tps sensor? know anything about that? Im trying to find out of I could tap that line.

Thank you so much for responding.
It has a relay built in, and it hooks to your TPS wire at the TB. You adjust a **** on the unit to program it to the level that you want it to come on. You then use the output of its relay to activate the nitrous arming power. That way, the nitrous is only armed and ready to go at WOT. It is fairly easy to install. I think there are only 5 wires you need to hook up, and 3 are power or ground.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 PM

You can do the window switch OR, you can use a simple rpm switch and not have to worry or deal with the DBW stuff, basically you set the rpm switch to turn off your nitrous at w/e RPM you want for example right before it shifts, as soon as rpms drop back down on the next gear it will start spraying right away. you dont really need a window switch, usually window switch is best so that you dont spray at too low of rpms, but being auto, spraying in 1st gear is just going to rev and prob spin out really fast, meaning you dont have to worry about spraying too early cuz it wont really do much damage or have a backfire. I used nitrous for a while and i did have a window switch, but never found the need for it, a regular rpm switch would have done just same.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:45 AM
You will lose

You can do the window switch OR, you can use a simple rpm switch and not have to worry or deal with the DBW stuff, basically you set the rpm switch to turn off your nitrous at w/e RPM you want for example right before it shifts, as soon as rpms drop back down on the next gear it will start spraying right away. you dont really need a window switch, usually window switch is best so that you dont spray at too low of rpms, but being auto, spraying in 1st gear is just going to rev and prob spin out really fast, meaning you dont have to worry about spraying too early cuz it wont really do much damage or have a backfire. I used nitrous for a while and i did have a window switch, but never found the need for it, a regular rpm switch would have done just same.
The problem with what you are saying is that you don't have to be WOT to be at 3000 rpm. If you are not WOT, and the nitrous engages, there will be problems, likely catastrophic. Also, you are wrong about the window switch's use, most people are using it to cut it off on the top side of the rpm range so as not to over rev the engine. Most use it on a manual so the revs don't go too high in between shifts. You really need the WOT more than the RPM range especially on an auto.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by TAPOUT
The problem with what you are saying is that you don't have to be WOT to be at 3000 rpm. If you are not WOT, and the nitrous engages, there will be problems, likely catastrophic. Also, you are wrong about the window switch's use, most people are using it to cut it off on the top side of the rpm range so as not to over rev the engine. Most use it on a manual so the revs don't go too high in between shifts. You really need the WOT more than the RPM range especially on an auto.
By what I had said, I am assuming the person is already using a WOT switch, that is basically a requirement and a must, no matter how the nitrous is set up, thats why i didnt mention it, thats a given. I did mess up by saying, you didnt have to mess with the DBW, not using using that.

also, you dont need a window switch to be able to shut off nitrous at top of rpms, you can use a regular rpm switch. You just set it at what ever RPM you wanna turn off the nitrous, which is what I was recommending, to use a regular rpm switch, instead of using a window.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 02-21-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM

I want to thank both of you for your replies, you have helped me immensly. I will be opting for the window switch because of the tranny.

Im hoping with a 75-100 shot, I/H/E, DR-Mod, To be pulling 12s. Realistic?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TheOnlyDRAGooN
I want to thank both of you for your replies, you have helped me immensly. I will be opting for the window switch because of the tranny.

Im hoping with a 75-100 shot, I/H/E, DR-Mod, To be pulling 12s. Realistic?
12's is doable however not easy. with 75shot, i think my best was 14.2 However my launch was weak with only like 2.2 60', i was only spraying from 3k rpm and up, I think if i would have sprayed from the launch with the slicks i had i would have ran a high 13. with 100shot it is a bit more realistic, but who knows, you got some guys on here doing 13's n/a on the 3.0, only one way to find out. good luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM

12's is doable however not easy. with 75shot, i think my best was 14.2 However my launch was weak with only like 2.2 60', i was only spraying from 3k rpm and up, I think if i would have sprayed from the launch with the slicks i had i would have ran a high 13. with 100shot it is a bit more realistic, but who knows, you got some guys on here doing 13's n/a on the 3.0, only one way to find out. good luck.
Thanks!