Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone tried this?

This may be a stupid thought, but... If you were to use oxygen, but not like nitrous,(not an atomized liquid) and say, run a hose into your intake pipe, but add gaseous o2, would this work? Then when you wanted more power turn on the o2. Would it run too lean, or be at risk of detonation or intake manifold explosion. I searched, but found nothing. I would appreciate any help on this subject. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 PM

sounds interesting. I think if you do it before the MAF the maf might pick up on it and make up for the fuel.

i think something like this should be tested like on a little scooter or something. Im pretty sure adding straight oxygen will help gain some power. who knows how much it would be though.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pure oxygen would result in too wild a combustion, resulting in a blown engine. This is because the nitrogen atoms in the nitrous oxide have a function as well. The nitrogen atoms released have a cooling effect on the combustion temperature. It absorbs the heat and helps carry it away.

Copied and pasted from http://paultan.org/archives/2006/02/...us-oxide-work/
Old 09-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, I figured that it wouldn't work, or people would be using it. I know I'm not the first to think it up. Thanks for the schooling.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:51 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by NEED2BFAST
This may be a stupid thought, but... If you were to use oxygen, but not like nitrous,(not an atomized liquid) and say, run a hose into your intake pipe, but add gaseous o2, would this work? Then when you wanted more power turn on the o2. Would it run too lean, or be at risk of detonation or intake manifold explosion. I searched, but found nothing. I would appreciate any help on this subject. Thanks.
What I kinda remember:

Nitrous is always used with extra fuel in proportion to the nitrous. Nitrous by itself is mostly inert until it reaches about 500 degrees in the combustion chamber, then breaks down into nitrogen and oxygen. Extra fuel is supplied by either jets (wet shot) or raising the system fuel pressure to injectors (dry shot).

The extra nitrogen left by the nitrous helps cool the combustion chamber so valves and plugs don't immediately melt.

Spraying O2 directly into the intake would make the engine go lean - at WOT, you're in open-loop ECU control, so the more O2, the leaner you get, and the less power you will make. Optimum air/fuel is 14.7, I think, so just adding O2 makes it worse, not better.

Now if you set things up like a nitrous wet-shot, with extra fuel, you might make more HP, but it probably would toast your engine quickly.

A standard NX or NOS wet kit is the safest way to add instant, controlled power to your engine. Just follow manufacturer's specs and you're safe.

"teh above is what my short-term memory remembers about spray".
Old 09-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Hella internets

I remember someone that had access to oxygen on the org. tried this...or was going to...he worked at a hospital or something...regardless if it was possible i think someone would have started selling a kit by now...also isnt oxygen really expensive? at least more than n20? i might be trippin but i dunno

I could imagine this being a pretty risky attempt for more speed, worrying about leaning out would be the least of your concern, i would be worried about having a huge explosion