Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

5.5Gen and Nitrous

Old 10-29-2008, 05:11 AM

5.5Gen and Nitrous

I was just wondering what people are running. This would be a mod for a little later down the road, I'm just still trying to read about it. What is the best kit to buy, a wet or dry? I would wanna run a kit on an all stock motor (with the exception of the GAB v2 mod, not that it makes a difference). It is my daily, and I would only use nitrous every now and then. It needs to be RELIABLE, so I want to go with the biggest shot I can without blowing it up. From what I read, if you choose a good kit for a stock setup, you can run one safely and not affect reliability as long as you're not running the living **** out of it all the time. I have a 6MT, so would the stock clutch be fine? How easy is it to install and how long does it take? Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 07:01 AM

yeah i actually have similar questions. a friend of mine has a full NOS kit and is willing to hand it over to me for a steal, and i was wondering how much work it would be, and what i would have to do to my motor to prep it for spray? im running the 02 v35de w/ 6MT also
Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 AM

i have a 5.5 6mt with a 75 shot. deffinately go wet, its much safter (sprays fuel and nitrous, dry is just nitrous which can get dangerous). i have some mods(see my sig), and my motors always has had oil consumption issues. with a 75 shot i put down 276whp and 292foot pounds. i have a zex setup, i love it, it took me an afternoon to install and is very safe. it only sprays when it sees wot from the throttle postion sensor. i would recommend a purge setup(fun and clears the lines of air), a pressure guage( get an electronic one in cabin, i have a bottle mounted gauge and i have to go into the trunk to check it, and you have to get a bottle heater to insure the correct pressure(has to be at least 900-1100 to get the full effect. if you can wire a switch you can hook this up. sometimes i wish i went boost because it gets expensive(about 60 bucks for a 10lb bottle fill in MA) and it goes quicker than you think. its alot of fun though, and its good because your gas mileage doesnt change(unless you spray of course).
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM

if you want to go bigger than 75, you need a fuel pump. you can set it up on an all stock motor no problem. i havent had any clutch slippage issues yet, traction issues though hahah

i dont have one yet, but i would recommend a controller for spraying, so you dont bounce the limiter or spray to early and go lean and detonate, also so you can lock out first gear (traction).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM

OK, thanks for all the information, guys. Now, how would you hook up a wet kit? Is it very complicated?

Also, what kind of controller? And what do you mean bounce the limiter? (in relation to nitrous) How would spraying early cause detonation?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 AM

its not that complicated, my zex kit came with instruction, but besides running nitrous lines and wiring up the switches, you have to cut into the fuel line ( they give you a T fitting) and run the lines to the controller unit. that is the zex kit, the NX and NOS are different, they have individual solenoids for the nitrous and fuel. if you can hook up some fittings and wire up some switches you can hook it up.

zex calls theres a traction control window switch. basicly, you set it to your desired settings and you can choose what gear nitrous sprays in, what RPM is starts spraying at and what RPM it stops spraying at.

the bounce of the limiter thing relates to the window switch. when you hit rev limiter the ecu sees the set limit and will stop spraying fuel, which will cause you to go dangerously lean and posibly cause major internal damage(while spraying). rule of thumb is to spray after 3000rpm, most engines run lean before then anyways and will detonate from the A/F mixture. ive sprayed at 2500 before with no problems but its just an insurance thing, and besides why would you spray that low anyways?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by allblackmax96
its not that complicated, my zex kit came with instruction, but besides running nitrous lines and wiring up the switches, you have to cut into the fuel line ( they give you a T fitting) and run the lines to the controller unit. that is the zex kit, the NX and NOS are different, they have individual solenoids for the nitrous and fuel. if you can hook up some fittings and wire up some switches you can hook it up.
Ok, I can do that. It doesn't sound as hard as I thought it would. It sounds like the Zex kit is the easiest to hook up. Does the separate solenoids for nitrous and fuel make a big difference? In fact, what is the difference?

zex calls theres a traction control window switch. basicly, you set it to your desired settings and you can choose what gear nitrous sprays in, what RPM is starts spraying at and what RPM it stops spraying at.
Is there a recommended point to stop spraying? Is it worse on the engine the higher the RPM with nitrous?

the bounce of the limiter thing relates to the window switch. when you hit rev limiter the ecu sees the set limit and will stop spraying fuel, which will cause you to go dangerously lean and posibly cause major internal damage(while spraying). rule of thumb is to spray after 3000rpm, most engines run lean before then anyways and will detonate from the A/F mixture. ive sprayed at 2500 before with no problems but its just an insurance thing, and besides why would you spray that low anyways?
I've seen alot of people start spray around 4k, is that the safest? I'm looking for most power, but obtaining it the safest way.

Also, anyone have the product from nanonitrous.com? Its the device that sits on top of your current bottle to keep your pressure always full so you can use your whole bottle without losing power. Worth it? Seems like it to me.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:52 AM

first off....search is a great tool bro

i've got my kit going up for sale soon. NX everything. dual purge. Window switch. i've got it all for sale...pm me if interested

anyways...you don't have to start at 4. you can start at 3ish. is this for the track? if so get you some slicks and spray at 2-2.5 and run great times.

definitely want a bottle heater. 100% need one. you want one based off pressure not temperature.

you want nitrous to cut off before fuel cut. if anything its easier on an engine the higher the rpm for more nitrous. so as long as you cut nitrous before fuel cut you'll be fine.

so defnitely get you a micro WOT switch and window switch. start with 35 and build up. 75 will be fine on stock fuel pump...don't go over that ...yet
Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

So all of this is on your VQ30 and your running a 104 trap speed? that is pretty great if you ask me. Im looking to do a 100 shot on a 2002 5.5 (6-spd) with full bolt-ons. My goal is high 12's with 110+ trap speed.

Originally Posted by one_fast_max
first off....search is a great tool bro

i've got my kit going up for sale soon. NX everything. dual purge. Window switch. i've got it all for sale...pm me if interested

anyways...you don't have to start at 4. you can start at 3ish. is this for the track? if so get you some slicks and spray at 2-2.5 and run great times.

definitely want a bottle heater. 100% need one. you want one based off pressure not temperature.

you want nitrous to cut off before fuel cut. if anything its easier on an engine the higher the rpm for more nitrous. so as long as you cut nitrous before fuel cut you'll be fine.

so defnitely get you a micro WOT switch and window switch. start with 35 and build up. 75 will be fine on stock fuel pump...don't go over that ...yet
Old 11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
VQ30 DE T

Originally Posted by ser_altima
So all of this is on your VQ30 and your running a 104 trap speed? that is pretty great if you ask me. Im looking to do a 100 shot on a 2002 5.5 (6-spd) with full bolt-ons. My goal is high 12's with 110+ trap speed.
I can see that goal being met. good luck
Old 03-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Ok, looking to go this route finally! So I just have to get a kit, hopefully I can get a complete one from the .org here.

I am also planning to do headers and stuff as well, so what would be the best engine management to control the A/F ratio? I'm hoping it's not going to be crazy expensive. Do I need a wideband 02 or is that jusr recommended?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM

anyone with 1/4 mile times with N2O on their 5.5???
Old 03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
anyone with 1/4 mile times with N2O on their 5.5???
My track times a few posts down in the 1/4 mile forums are on 75 shot. The run in my sig was one of my first runs on slicks and nitrous together. Best ET that day 12.4 and best trap was over 112. Also on youtube you can find some runs of mine in the "more from dagracing" section under "group run" and "g35"
Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM

^ makes me want to get a N20 setup now.....