Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Nitrous Noob, a couple questions...

Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Nitrous Noob, a couple questions...

So I have narrowed it down to the NX Proton wet kit on my 5.5 gen (auto). My plan is to run this with an old school engagement button instead of the drive by wire WOT engagement. Primarily because I do not want to engage in first gear. Plus if I forget to turn the tcs off I figured this would be faster to disengage.

Now my dilema and questions are regarding purge. Not for show, but for functionality. I really don't want to purge through the motor, doesn't seem safe. If I do a purge kit, do I need a seperate engagement (switch and button) for that? I've tried searching around but have not found anything useful on the install. I keep coming up with the fake co2 kit installs.

Also, seems irridum plugs are the way to go vs. copper to maintain more n/a power. To start I was going to go with a 50 shot, but know I may start upping that as I get track time in. At what point should I go copper, if ever at all?

Any help would be appricieated. Thanks in advance.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 AM
  #2  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by JWatZ View Post
So I have narrowed it down to the NX Proton wet kit on my 5.5 gen (auto). My plan is to run this with an old school engagement button instead of the drive by wire WOT engagement. Primarily because I do not want to engage in first gear. Plus if I forget to turn the tcs off I figured this would be faster to disengage.

Now my dilema and questions are regarding purge. Not for show, but for functionality. I really don't want to purge through the motor, doesn't seem safe. If I do a purge kit, do I need a seperate engagement (switch and button) for that? I've tried searching around but have not found anything useful on the install. I keep coming up with the fake co2 kit installs.

Also, seems irridum plugs are the way to go vs. copper to maintain more n/a power. To start I was going to go with a 50 shot, but know I may start upping that as I get track time in. At what point should I go copper, if ever at all?

Any help would be appricieated. Thanks in advance.
A nitrous purge is another nitrous solenoid connected either to the N2O feed line to the main N2O solenoid ( a Tee-connection) or through a purge port in some modern N2O solenoids. Since even a purge solenoid can draw a few amps, a big pushbutton switch is required ( or switch and relay)- otherwise it will just melt and fail. Route the purge exhaust line to open air, away from any engine air intakes and hot exhaust manifolds. A small copper line works well - just get the purge gas out of the engine compartment.

Using nitrous makes more heat in the combustion chamber. At least switch to one-step cooler copper-core plugs, not the stock platinum plugs. As you raise your shot, go to two steps cooler plug. Iridiums work just as well, but are more expensive and aren't needed below the 100-shot level. Just remember that "cooler" plugs are designed to pull the extra heat out of the center of the plug and transfer it to the outer plug shell and into the head thru the threads. Learn to read your plugs - Google is your friend.

Good luck - once you're hooked on the power, you're dooomed!
grey99max is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by grey99max View Post
A nitrous purge is another nitrous solenoid connected either to the N2O feed line to the main N2O solenoid ( a Tee-connection) or through a purge port in some modern N2O solenoids. Since even a purge solenoid can draw a few amps, a big pushbutton switch is required ( or switch and relay)- otherwise it will just melt and fail. Route the purge exhaust line to open air, away from any engine air intakes and hot exhaust manifolds. A small copper line works well - just get the purge gas out of the engine compartment.

Using nitrous makes more heat in the combustion chamber. At least switch to one-step cooler copper-core plugs, not the stock platinum plugs. As you raise your shot, go to two steps cooler plug. Iridiums work just as well, but are more expensive and aren't needed below the 100-shot level. Just remember that "cooler" plugs are designed to pull the extra heat out of the center of the plug and transfer it to the outer plug shell and into the head thru the threads. Learn to read your plugs - Google is your friend.

Good luck - once you're hooked on the power, you're dooomed!
Thanks brother. Just found a PDF floating around a LS1 forum for the dynotune purge kit. Seems self explainitory now.

I'm afraid once I start I'll want to raise that shot. Just like boosting. Apparently 22psi was the limit for my old b18swapped cCRX
JWatZ is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by JWatZ View Post
I'm afraid once I start I'll want to raise that shot. Just like boosting.
You might want to start "stockpiling" some spare parts in order to limit your down time. To use one of Grey's many sayings....
"It's always something"
ABIGBRAIN is offline  
Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 PM
  #5  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN View Post
You might want to start "stockpiling" some spare parts in order to limit your down time. To use one of Grey's many sayings....
"It's always something"
I recommend spare engines and transmissions. " if you ain't breakin' sumthin, you ain't racing " Nitrous has many traps for the unwary, so don't jump from a 50-shot to a 150-shot directly. Go up gradually, be sure your fuel filter is new and your plugs are copper-core when you start down that long, painful and expensive road of spraying, and learn to read those plugs. Monitor your fuel pressure and nitrous pressure like your car depends on them (it does). Nitrous bottles are like baby bottles - gotta be just the right temp to work, and never too full or empty.

I'll stop now....
grey99max is offline  
Old 01-25-2014, 06:07 PM
  #6  
Turbo 3.5
iTrader: (69)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 7,796
Lol
t6378tp is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by grey99max View Post
I recommend spare engines and transmissions. " if you ain't breakin' sumthin, you ain't racing " Nitrous has many traps for the unwary, so don't jump from a 50-shot to a 150-shot directly. Go up gradually, be sure your fuel filter is new and your plugs are copper-core when you start down that long, painful and expensive road of spraying, and learn to read those plugs. Monitor your fuel pressure and nitrous pressure like your car depends on them (it does). Nitrous bottles are like baby bottles - gotta be just the right temp to work, and never too full or empty.

I'll stop now....
All good info, which I thank you for. Much appricieated!
JWatZ is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:02 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Another thing I was thinking of. I was reading that ignition timing needs to be retarded. If I have my afr straight with my tuner do I still need to worry about that?

Thanks and sorry. These questions keep coming up and don't know where to turn.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 AM
  #9  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by JWatZ View Post
Another thing I was thinking of. I was reading that ignition timing needs to be retarded. If I have my afr straight with my tuner do I still need to worry about that?

Thanks and sorry. These questions keep coming up and don't know where to turn.
That depends - on which octane fuel you use and how much nitrous you're spraying. If you're burning 87 octane and spray a 50-shot, that's risky. If you use 91 octane you can probably go to a 100-shot, with the right plugs. Maybe. All this is using the stock timing.

If you disconnect the knock sensor and run without it, your base timing is retarded automatically, quite a bit.. I covered all this in my main Nitrous thread, complete with numbers. Look back a ways for details. I had discovered that my knock sensor had failed and made the car more sluggish in normal driving (and a OBD2 code scanner doesn't show it!) so I went from there and was able to switch timing curves on demand.

Good question to ask before you destroy an exhaust valve or piston with pre-ignition from too much nitrous. Been there - did that.
grey99max is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 05:31 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by grey99max View Post
That depends - on which octane fuel you use and how much nitrous you're spraying. If you're burning 87 octane and spray a 50-shot, that's risky. If you use 91 octane you can probably go to a 100-shot, with the right plugs. Maybe. All this is using the stock timing.

If you disconnect the knock sensor and run without it, your base timing is retarded automatically, quite a bit.. I covered all this in my main Nitrous thread, complete with numbers. Look back a ways for details. I had discovered that my knock sensor had failed and made the car more sluggish in normal driving (and a OBD2 code scanner doesn't show it!) so I went from there and was able to switch timing curves on demand.

Good question to ask before you destroy an exhaust valve or piston with pre-ignition from too much nitrous. Been there - did that.
Thanks brother. I can go back to -2 degrees with the Car Gauge Pro app. Going to start there on a 35 shot. Then gently merge to 50... 75... who knows where I'll stop. Looking for a used tranny and motor for the right price now as a tinker project/backup.

I'll dig for your thread.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 05:59 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,432
I ran a 50shot wet for one tank then a 75shot for 6months all on 2segree advanced timing and NGK 1 step cooler plugs never had a problem..

Now i got the Car gauge app too, i pulled my timing from 17 to 13degree put a Walbro 255 pump in and jetted up a 100 shot And WOW it felt good, been thru 2 bottles on it. I just installed my wideband so im going to try a 125 shot this friday and tune with wideband.

Just take it slow i guess lol..im Learning as i go..

They say pull 2degrees every 50 shot but im not sure how we would pull 6degrees out a maxima..
TravisCadello is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by TravisCadello View Post

They say pull 2degrees every 50 shot but im not sure how we would pull 6degrees out a maxima..
You can pull 8 degrees right off the bat by doing as Grey mentioned earlier... that's enough timing retard to run a 200 shot. Might want to go 2 steps colder on the plugs as I remember reading a while back about going 1 step colder for every 75-100 shot you use.
ABIGBRAIN is offline  
Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN View Post
You can pull 8 degrees right off the bat by doing as Grey mentioned earlier... that's enough timing retard to run a 200 shot. Might want to go 2 steps colder on the plugs as I remember reading a while back about going 1 step colder for every 75-100 shot you use.
Thanks. Isn't -8 kind of overkill if I'm only looking to run 35 out of the gate? Is -2 enough for a 75 shot? Maybe I misread something while digging through these old threads.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM
  #14  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by JWatZ View Post
Thanks. Isn't -8 kind of overkill if I'm only looking to run 35 out of the gate? Is -2 enough for a 75 shot? Maybe I misread something while digging through these old threads.
There is no exact answer - only guidelines for pulling timing. You need to learn how to read your plugs. Every car is a little different, unless you get identical models off the assembly line, so your requirements will be different from mine and most other Maximas. Type and quality of fuel, delivered fuel pressure, type and quality of plug, how much throttle you use at different RPMs, your intake air temp and quality of filter, water temp, the outside weather, road or track traction are all factors when you push your engine beyond normal limits.
grey99max is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
I'll be reading plugs regularly. Just installed NGK coppers last night while swapping my spacers, (3pc economy to 5pc). As far as intake I'll be running a 4" from Cant_Get_Ryte with AEM dryflow and velocity stack. But anyway, I get all the factors and to be safe I'll just start pulling the knock sensor past a 50 shot. NX said this Proton kit is safe on factory timing and 91 octane up to a 75 shot. But they will not replace my motor if it blows so I'll play it safe. Also, here's a shot of the Proton solenoid (with Mainline purge solenoid) in case others were interested.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Just figured I'd update. Started with a 35 wet shot, then 50, now I've been running constantly on a 75 shot. My base AFR is now at a 12.2 to a 12.6. When I spray this puts me in the low to mid 11's. This seems to be the sweet spot between rich and lean, well... for my car anyway.

Also, I've used the Car Gauge PRO app to retard my timing 2 degrees from factory. This plus 93 octane and copper plugs has not shown me any signs of detonation.

I've sprayed through seven 10lb bottles now with no noticeable ill effects. I was paranoid to go this route with the maxipad but I'm glad I did plenty of research (and many thanks to fellow orgers). Hope this posts helps anyone who's thinking about spraying in the future.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 PM
  #17  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by JWatZ View Post
Just figured I'd update. Started with a 35 wet shot, then 50, now I've been running constantly on a 75 shot. My base AFR is now at a 12.2 to a 12.6. When I spray this puts me in the low to mid 11's. This seems to be the sweet spot between rich and lean, well... for my car anyway.

Also, I've used the Car Gauge PRO app to retard my timing 2 degrees from factory. This plus 93 octane and copper plugs has not shown me any signs of detonation.

I've sprayed through seven 10lb bottles now with no noticeable ill effects. I was paranoid to go this route with the maxipad but I'm glad I did plenty of research (and many thanks to fellow orgers). Hope this posts helps anyone who's thinking about spraying in the future.
Actually that's pretty impressive - you researched the problems with nitrous, took precautions with fuel, plugs, and ignition timing, and survived seven bottles of spraying without losing an engine. Can you read your plugs yet?

What have you accomplished with the spraying? Low ETs, high MPH, some major kills (on the track, of course)? Got any good stories to share??
grey99max is offline  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by grey99max View Post
Actually that's pretty impressive - you researched the problems with nitrous, took precautions with fuel, plugs, and ignition timing, and survived seven bottles of spraying without losing an engine. Can you read your plugs yet?

What have you accomplished with the spraying? Low ETs, high MPH, some major kills (on the track, of course)? Got any good stories to share??
Pulled plugs a few times now, no signs of detonation, been on the rich side of the "good" range according to the chart I have.

Mainly it's been all street tuning and data logging at a local airport runway. My first track day is Import Face Off on the 30th. Trying to track down 100shot jets before I go.

Races in which I sprayed? Street racing is illegal but I will write a math problem...

06 Mustang GT (supercharged) + 05 WRX (unknown mods) + Dodge Dakota R/T (unknown nitrous shot) < Maxima

Edit: roll, roll, dig. And the Dakota was the closest.

Last edited by JWatZ; 03-25-2014 at 08:44 PM.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 1,566
Sounds like a lot of fun! Nitrous is where it's at.

My nitrous camaro was a blast!
krazy6 is offline  
Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Just a quick update for anyone that would care (now or in the future).

I've sprayed through countless bottles now at a 75 shot. My best 1/4 mile is a 13.3 ET at 108 trap. I'm heading back to the track this Friday (hopefully) with 100 shot jets. Holy crap! What a difference between 75 and 100, torque is crazy! Hoping to break into 12's with the new jets and some weight reduction.

Running about 8 to 10 degrees of base timing, plugs look good so I'm assuming that's enough retard for now.


IF YOU WANT TO SEE VIDS AND PICTURES, my Instagram is @kt3maxima

Last edited by JWatZ; 05-19-2014 at 06:08 AM.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 AM
  #21  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by JWatZ View Post
Just a quick update for anyone that would care (now or in the future).

I've sprayed through countless bottles now at a 75 shot. My best 1/4 mile is a 13.3 ET at 108 trap. I'm heading back to the track this Friday (hopefully) with 100 shot jets. Holy crap! What a difference between 75 and 100, torque is crazy! Hoping to break into 12's with the new jets and some weight reduction.

Running about 8 to 10 degrees of base timing, plugs look good so I'm assuming that's enough retard for now.


IF YOU WANT TO SEE VIDS AND PICTURES, my Instagram is @kt3maxima
Think about this - you really need to monitor your fuel pressure when spraying heavier shots (or just change out the fuel pump to a Walbro 255lph) because the bigger the shot, the more fuel you pull from your fuel delivery system. If you spray a large shot and the fuel system can't deliver, you will go lean instantly. If you're lucky, the ground straps on the plugs will just burn away. If not, then it's the exhaust valves. Not good.... Update your fuel pump.

Oh, and you are now eligible to join the NA club - Nitrous Anonymous. Club meetings are usually held in old garages or pit areas at a drag strip, and much weeping and wailing is heard. I quit going to the meetings - too crowded, depressing and noisy.
grey99max is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by grey99max View Post
Think about this - you really need to monitor your fuel pressure when spraying heavier shots (or just change out the fuel pump to a Walbro 255lph) because the bigger the shot, the more fuel you pull from your fuel delivery system. If you spray a large shot and the fuel system can't deliver, you will go lean instantly. If you're lucky, the ground straps on the plugs will just burn away. If not, then it's the exhaust valves. Not good.... Update your fuel pump.

Oh, and you are now eligible to join the NA club - Nitrous Anonymous. Club meetings are usually held in old garages or pit areas at a drag strip, and much weeping and wailing is heard. I quit going to the meetings - too crowded, depressing and noisy.
Already running said pump. Got it for like $50 off here or my5th a while ago when mine crapped out.

I will not go to those meetings because I refuse to admit I have a problem. So what if the guy at Pep Boys said I should look into a second bottle, or a mother bottle.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 AM
  #23  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by JWatZ View Post
Already running said pump. Got it for like $50 off here or my5th a while ago when mine crapped out.

I will not go to those meetings because I refuse to admit I have a problem. So what if the guy at Pep Boys said I should look into a second bottle, or a mother bottle.
Good -you can never have too much fuel pump. Bottles? I just counted, and I have nine 15lb bottles, and I just installed the newest NX bottle valves in two of them. Also ordered two new nitrous blow off tubing sets for them, just for those cranky tech guys at checkin. Like one of my bottles would ever blow up.

A mother bottle is getting closer for me - if I can rent one without a siphon tube, which mounts upside down, and gives you about ten more lbs of nitrous from momma. Those bottles are heavy, though. About 120-180lbs, depending on supplier, I hear. 60-70 lbs N2O isn't really very much for one month's spraying, pulling 2 1/2 - 3lbs per pass from two 15lb bottles.
grey99max is offline  
Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 478
Name:  2stage.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  127.5 KB

I had a moderate obsession a few years back. I'm better now.... Lol
ABIGBRAIN is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 AM
  #25  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN View Post

I had a moderate obsession a few years back. I'm better now.... Lol
Finally quit sniffing the stuff, eh? You have more plumbing there than what's in Lowe's AND Home depot, but I see only two nitrous stages?

I like the fuel regulator stack - kinda like pancakes at IHOP. Pretty cool work there. And this makes you an honorary member of the NA club, for sure.
grey99max is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by grey99max View Post
Finally quit sniffing the stuff, eh? You havSBC ore plumbing there than what's in Lowe's AND Home depot, but I see only two nitrous stages?

I like the fuel regulator stack - kinda like pancakes at IHOP. Pretty cool work there. And this makes you an honorary member of the NA club, for sure.
2 stages was all that was needed to run the 8.50 index class. That 406 sbc made 1283 hp at the wheels.
ABIGBRAIN is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 AM
  #27  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN View Post
2 stages was all that was needed to run the 8.50 index class. That 406 sbc made 1283 hp at the wheels.
To quote Achmed the dead terrorist, "Holey Krap" !! So maybe Daddy Dave's Sonoma PU w/ 500 Cu In LSX with 3 stages might make a few more? That would explain a lot - I saw the YouTubes of OKC's #1 on a dyno, (and watched him race at Wichita KID) but no numbers mentioned or shown.

Hmmm... maybe it's time to convert a maxima to RWD....
grey99max is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 11:02 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Ran a 12.9 with 110mph trap this past Friday on a 100 shot. Only spraying once in 2nd gear. Since I will not be going with a higher shot, I'm thinking about a 2nd nozzle and solenoid set to spray a 35 or 50 out of the hole. Need to research how to do this, not sure how this will work with how I'm tapping fuel, but idk. We'll see.
JWatZ is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 PM
  #29  
LandShark has Cosworth
iTrader: (12)
 
grey99max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by JWatZ View Post
Ran a 12.9 with 110mph trap this past Friday on a 100 shot. Only spraying once in 2nd gear. Since I will not be going with a higher shot, I'm thinking about a 2nd nozzle and solenoid set to spray a 35 or 50 out of the hole. Need to research how to do this, not sure how this will work with how I'm tapping fuel, but idk. We'll see.
That's a respectable ET and MPH. Now that's you've done this and experienced how fun it is to launch on a 100-shot, if you have two nozzles and pairs of solenoids installed, one set for the launch and one for adding spray once into second gear, you can control the launch nozzle with a throttle switch and the second stage with another switch of some sort, so that you can launch with a 50-shot and once thru first gear then spray the second nozzle jetted for another 50-shot. Whenever you have enough traction to engage the afterburner..

I did that for a couple of years, used a 75-shot to launch and had a second 100-shot nozzle for the afterburner. The launch stage was controlled with a microswitch+relay attached to the TB and the second stage used a fat doorbell switch+relay on the floor over to the left side. Of course I was using M&H slicks (8.5x15x24.5") to do this, but if the track was prepped well, I could launch with the 75-shot and get into the second stage while still in first gear. I went thru some transmissions doing this but generally this worked well.
grey99max is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 07:33 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the 3OH2
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by grey99max View Post

That's a respectable ET and MPH. Now that's you've done this and experienced how fun it is to launch on a 100-shot, if you have two nozzles and pairs of solenoids installed, one set for the launch and one for adding spray once into second gear, you can control the launch nozzle with a throttle switch and the second stage with another switch of some sort, so that you can launch with a 50-shot and once thru first gear then spray the second nozzle jetted for another 50-shot. Whenever you have enough traction to engage the afterburner..

I did that for a couple of years, used a 75-shot to launch and had a second 100-shot nozzle for the afterburner. The launch stage was controlled with a microswitch+relay attached to the TB and the second stage used a fat doorbell switch+relay on the floor over to the left side. Of course I was using M&H slicks (8.5x15x24.5") to do this, but if the track was prepped well, I could launch with the 75-shot and get into the second stage while still in first gear. I went thru some transmissions doing this but generally this worked well.
Good info,bthanks. Definitely looking into a backup tranny before this. Just tossing ideas around to get a mid 12.
JWatZ is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hcarter1112
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
39
12-01-2018 09:29 AM
My Coffee
New Member Introductions
15
06-06-2017 02:01 PM
aw11power
Supercharged/Turbocharged
159
02-11-2017 05:34 PM
JakeOfAllTrades
7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)
6
10-05-2015 10:40 AM
REDinLV
New Member Introductions
1
09-28-2015 12:31 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitrous Noob, a couple questions...


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.