5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

car stalls at idle or park help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:38 AM

car stalls at idle or park help!

My 2002 i35 last night stalled at a stop sign while coming to a stop. It started right back up. Went to the store turned the key over and all it did was click several times. So I hit the starter and it fired up only to surge up and down idle speed until it shut off. Started it again and did the same thing so I got the battery tested as well as alternator they both checked out fine. Yesterday I replaced the fuel rail with another rail and six injectorsdrove around and thought the problem was fixedsmh smh.at times it feels like it has full power and other times it feels like a dead spot in acceleration. Is it time for a new car?? Im at 216k miles
Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 AM
Bad *** Newb

Clicking is insufficient power to starter. The stalling and driving issue could be maf.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 AM

Didn't you say in another thread you might have a vacuum leak?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:56 AM

Dead spot in acceleration might be the MAF sensor. Have you cleaned it recently?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Yes I did say I may have a vacuum leak but haven't looked around for it yet and I did clean the maf 2 days ago . I swapped out the maf for a spare one I had sitting around and so far so good hasn't stalled since. So I took it to a mechanic who said I might have a slight head gasket leak because a cylinder was missing a cylinder was missing at idle he looked at the tail pipe and said it was a burned antifreeze smell but I didnt smell any burned antifreeze jus saw the slight smoke while the engine was slightly missing. Then he said there was alot of pressure built up in the engine while taking the radiator cap off a hot car in which the coolant shot up at him. Should I believem this guy. He also said to get some blue magic and add to the radiator to seal up a leak if there is one. So I dont kno if he's right or not
Old 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Then he said there was alot of pressure built up in the engine while taking the radiator cap off a hot car in which the coolant shot up at him. Should I believem this guy.
No way. And don't pour anything in the radiator at this stage except water and antifreeze. If there's a possibility you've blown a head gasket, there are several options. The easiest would be to take it to a radiator shop and let them pressure test the system. You could also pull the plugs and check their condition. Plugs from bad cylinder(s) should look bad. If I remember correctly, antifreeze leaves a white crusty residue on the plugs. The third option (while the plugs are being pulled) would be a compression test.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 AM

You could also pressure test the cooling system yourself by renting a kit from an auto parts store. Super simple to use and essentially free.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Bad *** Newb

Lol, he opened the radiator cap while hot and was surprised it shot out? Who is this clown? Lmfao
Old 01-24-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Lol, he opened the radiator cap while hot and was surprised it shot out? Who is this clown? Lmfao
Lol yeah man says its too much pressure in the system but the car was at operating temperature when he opened the radiator cap smh. I did find out I was a quart low on oil wow! Maybe that had something to do with my issues or part of it. I did replace the plugs 2 days ago on cylinder 1 and 3
Old 01-24-2017, 03:28 PM
Bad *** Newb

Lol yeah man says its too much pressure in the system but the car was at operating temperature when he opened the radiator cap smh. I did find out I was a quart low on oil wow! Maybe that had something to do with my issues or part of it. I did replace the plugs 2 days ago on cylinder 1 and 3
If you replace plugs...replace them all.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
If you replace plugs...replace them all.
good idea lol i was running 2 copper plugs and the rest were platinum ngk
Old 01-28-2017, 12:08 PM

the problem keeps coming back im stumped. At cold start the car starts and idles fine and no miss. But once warmed up at times it starts fine and other times it has a hiccp until i give it gas and sometimes when it starts with the hiccup the check engine light will jump on for cylinder 3 missfire. I can hear and feel the miss at idle until it clears up. It keeps telling me the same cylinder is misfiring. I pulled the plug on the coil number 3 yesterday to see if it was the coil itself. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, but the engine speed did not change like the rest did. So i swapped out that coil thinking it was bad with one that was working. the coil worked on another cylinder. So im kinda stumped at this point and hoping for the best. Im assuming its an electrical issue but i dont know.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Well this is the plug from cylinder 3. At times the check engine light will come on at startup/ hiccup idle and when I start the car again it will run fine and a few miles of driving the check engine light will go off on its own. There are times when the coil is not firing and times that it does fire so im gonna replace the coil and see what happens. How much is a compression test kit and is it something I can do myself? Also upon removing the air intake boot I discovered a large opening in it. May not be part of the problem but I will see once everything is back to gather.

Last edited by maxinout93; 02-02-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:02 PM

Also upon removing the air intake boot I discovered a large opening in it. May not be part of the problem but I will see once everything is back to gather.
yes, that will cause problems

good idea lol i was running 2 copper plugs and the rest were platinum ngk
soooo... did you replace all plugs?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by cornholio
yes, that will cause problems

soooo... did you replace all plugs?
No i only replaced the plugs in cylinder 1 and 3 with copper. The rest were replaced in august of 2015. Since then ive put over 34,000 miles on the car.