8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Well, this sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 04:23 PM

Well, this sucks...

I spent 2 days in the hospital, my wife and kids were ok and released that night (unbelievable).

Old 11-26-2016, 06:05 PM

Am happy ur family is ok 👠the car Is not important.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:11 PM

Cars can be replaced of course. Glad everything came out good for you and your family. That's all that matters in this situation. Sorry to see this happen to you...
Old 11-26-2016, 09:25 PM

i am, too, is glad you and your family are ok.
will you acquire another maxima?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 PM

glad to see you're okay! that's brutal! Declared a total loss i'm assuming?
Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 AM

Push for totaling. This car may be fixed, but it will never be the same. We fought this battle years ago when a Suburban ran a red light and turned my wife and I upside down in her truck. The insurance company said it was repairable. It was towed to the dealer on January 7, and was finally ready on June 17. During that interim, the frame was straightened three times, the windows were shot out by punks on a rainy Saturday night, and when the dealer sent someone to bring the truck back into the shop, it was full of water to the door sills. The interior had to be replaced. Initially, only part of the truck was going to be repainted. It actually ended up being totally painted three times. The huge very special panel stripes kit cost $675 bucks, and it took three sets before they got the stripes on straight. Even then, they put on the wrong color stripes, but we didn't bother to make them do it a fourth time. When we finally picked the finished truck up, it was getting dark and foggy, and we turned on the fog lights. There was a flash and fire radiated from under the hood. The cable to the fog lights had melted onto the adjacent metal.

As I said, push for having the car totaled.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:38 AM

Thanks everyone.
I still haven't gotten the accident report, we are all very sore.
The car was 1 year old on 11/14.
I assume State Farm will replace with a new since its age, if they total it, we'll find out soon.
The air bags DID NOT go off. Is that something I need to talk to Nissan about?
I have no idea yet on how fast the other guy was going , i'm guessing 40 or 50?
I was fully stopped in traffic when we got hit, cant believe I didn't hit someone in front of me. His airbag did go off. We got a few pics of his car (Kia).
Old 11-27-2016, 07:35 AM

From what I can see, your cars "crush" zone worked as intended and very impressively to say the least. Did your seat backs break to the downward position? Lots of talk about people in the back seat being injured in most brands of cars these days from the front seat backs breaking. I believe the air bags would not fire in this type of accident. You would have had to be hit from the side or the front for them to go off. I am pleased you are doing better and that there are no serious injuries. Keep us posted on State Farms treatment for the car replacement. This car would never be "right" even if repaired. Too many variables like how the drive train survived and later accident indued failures down the road.

Last edited by robtroxel; 11-27-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:45 AM

I haven't seen the car yet, the accident happened at night. The back seats may have started to open as you would put them down, but with the kids back there they didn't come down fully. I'll get some more daytime pics when I get to see it.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Glad your ok and your family.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by 16sjmax
Thanks everyone.
I still haven't gotten the accident report, we are all very sore.
The car was 1 year old on 11/14.
I assume State Farm will replace with a new since its age, if they total it, we'll find out soon.
The air bags DID NOT go off. Is that something I need to talk to Nissan about?
I have no idea yet on how fast the other guy was going , i'm guessing 40 or 50?
I was fully stopped in traffic when we got hit, cant believe I didn't hit someone in front of me. His airbag did go off. We got a few pics of his car (Kia).
state farm is said to be on the cheaper end on these things, keep us posted.

glad you are ok typing this, they way you got hit makes me wonder if the guy was distracted on the phone
Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM

Glad everyone is ok. I'm sure the car will be totaled. You'll have a 2017 soon.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:30 PM

I had a 2013 altima rear ended like that a few years back, it was awful. originally they said they were going to fix it which would of been awful... but after the long repair date and rental car charges they were going to have to pay for put it over the edge and they changed their mind and totaled it.. I really hope they total the car because it really will never be the same!
Old 11-28-2016, 12:45 PM

wow very glad u and family is ok... seems ur lic plate is fine also. but seriously glad everyone is good
Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM

Wow. (The Good, the Bad, and the Funny)
It's good to see you and the family are ok.
It's bad that people cannot drive properly.
It's funny how the taillights symmetrically stick out like that.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:29 PM

Just thinking what the result would have been if your trunk was full. The Maxima seems to have performed very well in the collision as far as keeping the occupants relatively safe. Wishing you and your family well.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:25 AM

Since the other driver was at fault, and you mentioned State Farm, I am assuming the driver charged with the accident is the person with state Farm insurance.

I have been insured by State Farm since April 1958 (switched from Safeco to State Farm at that time), and they have always treated me well. I also have homeowners insurance and an Umbrella policy with them. We had a serious hail storm back in 2010, and they forked out $18,500 for a new roof with no haggling. I have not had to deal with them on auto repairs because the other driver was charged in the accidents I have been involved in so far, and I was not always happy in dealing with those folk's insurance companies (none were State Farm). Just be very polite, but persistent and firm about what you expect.

Those posting here that the airbags should not have gone off are correct. Frontal and side collisions will trigger the bags, but rear end hits, unless at an oblique angle, will not usually trigger the bags. Keep us informed with developments.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 AM

It's remarkable how well the trunk compartment took all the energy out of the hit...with just a guess, I'd put this at a 35-40 mph hit if you were standing still...hell it looks like the rear wheels will still roll! Gas tank is probably wrecked or disconnected in some way so it likely didn't run...but it sure looks like it could still roll!

That said, unless structural issues are present, they won't total it. Probably at least 12-15k in repairs...which is well below the value of the car, still at least $28k blue book if not more.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 AM

I have State Farm, they are helping tremendously.
He has Progressive, they claimed 100% fault, and are trying to get me to accept a small compensation payment.

Uh, no....

Am still waiting to hear from the repair facility.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:31 PM

I have State Farm, they are helping tremendously.
He has Progressive, they claimed 100% fault, and are trying to get me to accept a small compensation payment.

Uh, no....

Am still waiting to hear from the repair facility.
Yeah, get a lawyer if you don't already have one (I did...they handle things in a way you simply cannot). Thank G_d you're OK; quite a testament to the design of the Maxima. Good luck...
Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Repair estimate 23K.

Grrrr.........
Old 12-05-2016, 03:33 PM

Repair estimate 23K.

Grrrr.........

Talk to the insurance company agent and/or estimator. Tell them this is a fairly new car, was in perfect condition, that you will not accept any replacement parts other than genuine Nissan parts, and any subsequent problems traceable to this accident must be fixed at the insurance company's expense. Supposedly, this info has no bearing on the issue, but if the insurance company finds out ahead of time that you will be a very demanding customer, they sometimes decide they have some leeway on estimates. Depends on the insurance company, the estimator involved, the insurance company rep who is processing the claim, etc.

And when you take the car to the repair shop of your choice (Check around and find the best one in your area. You do have the right to choose), emphasize that you expect the car to be put back in exactly the condition it was before the wreck, and if they are not sure they can do that for the amount the insurance company offers, they should put that in writing, explaining why, and you can show that to the insurance company.

Yes, all this may be a waste of effort, but you need to do everything you possibly can to get the best result you can. It is extremely important that when you pick up the repaired car, do not sign anything that gives up your right to have additional problems from this accident that may not have been spotted by the estimator repaired at the insurance company's cost. Additionally, do not sign anything that gives up your right to have anything improperly repaired or overlooked by the repair shop fixed at no cost to you.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 12-05-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:53 PM

Wow. Glad you are ok.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Banned

Repair estimate 23K.

Grrrr.........
I would offer a sexual favor to the insurance adjuster in exchange for totalling the car to ensure you get a new car rather than a repair, its too risky to take that wreck back.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:06 PM

Repair estimate 23K.

Grrrr.........
You should get a total if not complain like "H" as you are probably near the industry average of 70-75% of ACV at 23k worth of damage. Like Light said it will never be the same, it will make weird noises at certain times/times of the year etc etc.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:40 AM

Repair estimate 23K.

Grrrr.........

Wow...I didn't see that coming. I figured even 18k was way too high. And that's just the estimate. Now, if the car is worth $30k bluebook, you're likely going to have to take this one on the chin.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 AM

Something you'll want to look into is diminished value claim. Some states that's another additional. Only the at fault insurance can pay that to you, can't come from your's and be subrogated. But if the diminished value (meaning you'll never get what this car is worth at tradin, so they compensate you for the loss) is say $3-$5000, that edges you up to that total loss point. So what you do is negotiate with the at fault, they will pay for the repairs and likely the DV, so it might be in their best interest to pay you for the total loss, then they have the car for salvage, they can make money back on this loss, instead of forking out $28000 for nothing. A lawyer may be needed, but you'd be surprised what you can get if you tell them these black and white numbers, it will make serious sense to them, they may take that offer right away.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Glad you are ok...
Old 12-07-2016, 03:33 AM

Got the word yesterday afternoon.

Totaled.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 AM

glad your ok, and dont have to deal with a rehabed car.

keep us posted on what you get! (that is insurance check vaule, and vehicle! )
Old 12-20-2016, 06:49 AM

any updates??
Old 12-25-2016, 07:18 AM

Glad is totaled, less headaches for you; now get the 2017...