Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Need Help, SC Stand-off bolts won't fit :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 10:45 PM

Need Help, SC Stand-off bolts won't fit :(

Ok, I'm on the first step of step 20 of the Stillen instructions and it says to remove the bolt above the thermostat "hole 18" and replace with stand-off bolt (brass bolt with threads and a threaded hole in the top). My stand-off bolt is having a hard time screwing in? I it too big? That's the only brass bolt I have in the whole SC kit. What do I do?

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...95_76_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...95_43_full.jpg
Old 11-24-2002, 06:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Standoff bolt I think they mean the one that has the female threads inside the head so you can screw another bolt onto it. Is that the bolt you have?
Old 11-24-2002, 08:41 AM

Got your email.

Wish I could help, but I have the V1 SC, you got the V2 right? I think it's different on the V1, I don't remember any standoff bolt on the V1.

Jaime should able to help you out, he has my old V2 SC.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:28 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

There was one Standoff bolt that I could not get the regular bolt to thread through the SC bracket and into the standoff bolt head. It probably was the same one... so I left it off...
It's been like that for about a year... It shouldn't pose any problem.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Chunger
There was one Standoff bolt that I could not get the regular bolt to thread through the SC bracket and into the standoff bolt head. It probably was the same one... so I left it off...
It's been like that for about a year... It shouldn't pose any problem.
try switching them arond they should bolt right on. I sent you the email with the two red circles where they go. Please ensure you do not strip them since the timing case is made out of alloy.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:03 PM

I'm not having problems with anything being inserted into the head of the stand-off bolts (the yellow ones at the bottom of the pic), but I'm having problems actually inserting the stand-off bolts into the timing case. They seem to be somewhat bigger? Did Stillen send me the wrong size threaded stand-off bolts? Also, if anyone wants to correct me by taking the pic and adding arrows to which ones go into the head of te stand-off bolts, feel freeto take the pic and repost it.

-Ben

http://members.aol.com:/benblanco615/stand-offbolts.jpg
Old 11-24-2002, 10:17 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Ben, just got your e-mail. Sorry, I don't usually check on the weekends. The way Marti descrobed it is correct. The standoff bolt is the brass colored bolt with the female threaded hole in the hexagon head. It is the two at the edge of your desk in your picture. That is the bolt you say won't fit in the hole? Whatever you do, don't force it.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:56 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Both standoff bolts were identical, IIRC...

They go into holes #16 and #18... I don't recall having any problems threading them in... only getting one of the bolts that goes into them...
Old 11-25-2002, 01:31 PM

Well, I keep telling myself that Stillen sent me the right bolts. I was observing the stand-off bolts and I believe I may have stripped the thread a little on the tips of both of them. I guess I was screwing them in crooked. The holes seem fine because the original bolts screw in perfectly. I'm thinking of just sanding down the tip until it reaches a non-stripped part of the thread. If that fails, I thought about fabricating my own stand-off bolts by measuring the head of the standoff bolts, and replacing them with spacers of the same length and then run one bolt through them that would be the eintire length of the tip of the stand-off bolt thread to the head of the bolt that screws into the stand-off bolt. Its just an idea, I truly don't want to go that route, so hopefully by sanding off a few stripped threads on the stand-off bolts will let me proceed with the install. I skipped the blower install and did a few steps afterwards such as the FMU and hose routing. These bolts are what's delaying my install big time.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Licensed to Spell

So did you get it Ben? How are things going? What step are you on? Good luck.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:22 AM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
So did you get it Ben? How are things going? What step are you on? Good luck.
I'm on the step wher I'm kicking everyone's a$$ on the highway I finished the install Thanksgiving morning but couldn't start it for some reason. After eating all day with the family I checked everything again and realized I had the fuel lines backwards, sending fuel back to the fuel tank. It started up and I was driving around for a little that night, I had to pull over on the highway because my car started struggling and I thought it was because of the Bosch by-pass valve hose not being secured to the air filter, so I went ahead and installed my Blitz bov on the side of the highway. When I was done, it started up but was struggling to idle right. I sat there for another 5 minutes while it was struggling and noticed that it was the pipe that came off the throttle body causing the whole problem. Luckily I had all my tools with me and I was able to get off the side of the road in an hour. After that I babied it home and noticed that when I do try to floor it, my tranny would sometimes get into redline before shifting, so I wnt ahead an installed the VB yesterday morning. Now everything is perfect. Thanks again for your help especially sending the cd. I'm planning on giving the cd to funnylittleman for his SC install this week. You were the most help, thanks again.
-Ben
Old 12-02-2002, 01:25 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
I'm on the step wher I'm kicking everyone's a$$ on the highway I finished the install Thanksgiving morning but couldn't start it for some reason. After eating all day with the family I checked everything again and realized I had the fuel lines backwards, sending fuel back to the fuel tank. It started up and I was driving around for a little that night, I had to pull over on the highway because my car started struggling and I thought it was because of the Bosch by-pass valve hose not being secured to the air filter, so I went ahead and installed my Blitz bov on the side of the highway. When I was done, it started up but was struggling to idle right. I sat there for another 5 minutes while it was struggling and noticed that it was the pipe that came off the throttle body causing the whole problem. Luckily I had all my tools with me and I was able to get off the side of the road in an hour. After that I babied it home and noticed that when I do try to floor it, my tranny would sometimes get into redline before shifting, so I wnt ahead an installed the VB yesterday morning. Now everything is perfect. Thanks again for your help especially sending the cd. I'm planning on giving the cd to funnylittleman for his SC install this week. You were the most help, thanks again.
-Ben
No prob. My pleasure. Sorry to hear about the few road blocks there. Glad all is o.k. now though. If you have any future questions, don't hesitate.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:36 PM

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM...

can someone call me please and let me know how to fix the problem

760 214-1161 call collect if necessary
Old 02-01-2003, 05:28 PM

:attention
Old 02-01-2003, 06:14 PM

Attention given
Old 02-01-2003, 08:39 PM

still need suggestions...

so far it is contact OgreDave about his bolt hook up for metric parts
(time consuming)

assemble some long thread matched bolt with washers to right length
(run around town and may affect belt alignment)

and now it appears the blower bracket will not fit on the lower bolt hole by the top of the pulley adjuster...looks to have another unecessary hole for something to thread into...one hole is for the top hex bolt holding the pulley adjuster, the other hole is much larger and threaded.

I will try to post up pictures in a bit...looks like tomorrow is going to be a hard day.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:11 PM

Well, to this day I went ahead and left both stand-off bolts out and left the factory bolts in. No alignment problems, but don't take my word for it, I took a chance by leaving them out and it worked. Stillen sent me the right stand-off bolts like 3 weeks after the install.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:04 PM

thanks Ben...bolting it up as I take a break...

damn pulleys....
Old 02-01-2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
thanks Ben...bolting it up as I take a break...

damn pulleys....
Good luck man, don't rush anything, I know how you feel with the SC install. I think whenever I have to remove the blower, that'll be the time when those damn stand-off bolts will go in.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:33 AM

bolt 18 is not working...four hours I have not got it in yet...
Old 02-02-2003, 01:23 AM

bolt 18 is not working...four hours I have not got it in yet...
You can test the stand-off bolts to see if they are the right ones by seeing if one stand-off bolt will go into the head of the other stand-off bolt. Mine didn't so I figured that it was slightly bigger than the oem bolt that would go into the head. I left them out. My new ones from Stillen happen to be able to fit in each other so I guess those are the right ones. Try that out.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
You can test the stand-off bolts to see if they are the right ones by seeing if one stand-off bolt will go into the head of the other stand-off bolt. Mine didn't so I figured that it was slightly bigger than the oem bolt that would go into the head. I left them out. My new ones from Stillen happen to be able to fit in each other so I guess those are the right ones. Try that out.

Stillen is sending some jacked up stand off bolts. You guys need to contact Stillen and let them know whats the deal with the stand off bolts not fitting , freaking id!ots this is the third person with this problem.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:26 AM

Here is my new post...sorry for hijacking your Ben

I have obvious other issues regarding the install...be kind and assist of possible...I am on a time restiant as well so it is in my best interest to bribe those that help...
Old 02-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Licensed to Spell

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM...

can someone call me please and let me know how to fix the problem

760 214-1161 call collect if necessary
I know 760 is pretty large (from Palm Springs to El Centro) but if you are in the Escondido-ish area, I am not too far from you. I could swing by and we'll figure it out. Let me know.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:51 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: :o)

I know 760 is pretty large (from Palm Springs to El Centro) but if you are in the Escondido-ish area, I am not too far from you. I could swing by and we'll figure it out. Let me know.
Tracy got it running yesterday... hope he made it into work ok.

I thought you lived out in the east coast and not in SoCal... LOL..
Maybe I'll bug when I need to put in my 3.12
Old 02-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Chunger

Tracy got it running yesterday... hope he made it into work ok.

I thought you lived out in the east coast and not in SoCal... LOL..
Maybe I'll bug when I need to put in my 3.12
Any time Chunger. I just moved to Wildomar (near Temecula) but I still go to school in S.D. and work in R.B. Where are you?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:14 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Any time Chunger. I just moved to Wildomar (near Temecula) but I still go to school in S.D. and work in R.B. Where are you?
Near Pasadena (next to the "little ol' lady")
I'll hopefully take it down in 3 weeks to start the job... I still have to order a Gatorback belt...
Old 02-03-2003, 03:25 PM

I am 45 miles north of Palm Springs right now...in a place called hell...

no really it is called 29 Palms...I moved out here from Oceansidelast fall.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:31 PM

Old 02-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Licensed to Spell

A thank-you for the offer would have been nice.

What the heck brought you out there from nice Oceanside/S.D.? Cheap housing? That's what brought me to Wildomar. My ~$250k would have bought me a shack in San Diego.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:28 PM

that is funny...

no I am a Marine and transferred out to the "Stumps"