Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Placing a turbo kit on an atuo....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002 | 09:06 PM
Carpe Diem....

Placing a turbo kit on an atuo....

I have been contemplating as to whether i should get a SCer or a turbo kit. I've heard good things about both methods of boost. I am leaning towards getting a turbo kit, but with this mod, i know that i would need to have work done on my automagic as in terms of getting a VB mod from MAxtunning(#3) and having a tranny cooler installed. Is this all that i would need to be done so that my transmission will hold up. If I will have problems with the turbo, will addign a SCer be any easier as in terms of adjustments that would need to be made to my transmission?
Old 12-01-2002 | 10:02 PM

Re: Placing a turbo kit on an atuo....

No turbo kits available for the autos yet.

Originally posted by kwamdoo74
I have been contemplating as to whether i should get a SCer or a turbo kit. I've heard good things about both methods of boost. I am leaning towards getting a turbo kit, but with this mod, i know that i would need to have work done on my automagic as in terms of getting a VB mod from MAxtunning(#3) and having a tranny cooler installed. Is this all that i would need to be done so that my transmission will hold up. If I will have problems with the turbo, will addign a SCer be any easier as in terms of adjustments that would need to be made to my transmission?
Old 12-02-2002 | 07:25 AM
I need a truck

Re: Re: Placing a turbo kit on an atuo....

you can go down to harold in KY and he'll install a turbo kit on your car ... it'll take him about a week to install it though since he hasn't done it before ... but installation is free!
Old 12-03-2002 | 11:17 AM
Redlinemax Owner

And... Custommaxima is coming out with a turbo kit pretty soon!
Old 12-03-2002 | 04:56 PM
Carpe Diem....

Originally posted by Redmax
And... Custommaxima is coming out with a turbo kit pretty soon!
Will this turbo be able to be mated with an automatic transmission?
Old 12-03-2002 | 05:26 PM

Probably not since it is based on the PFI kit and that kit fits manuals only. Currently your only bet is in Kentucky as the others said.

Will this turbo be able to be mated with an automatic transmission?
Old 12-05-2002 | 06:47 AM

Whats the url for Harold in KY?
Old 12-05-2002 | 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Placing a turbo kit on an atuo....

Couple of things:

You can turbo an automatic. Not sure why people say you can't. it really depends on how much boost you want to run. if you run lower boost you should be OK, if you run higher boost then OK you have a problem.

PFI can install the entire kit for you. It isn't free for install, but they will do a professional job. We will have a kit soon for autos.
Old 12-06-2002 | 09:03 AM

Originally posted by turbo97SE

Couple of things:

You can turbo an automatic. Not sure why people say you can't. it really depends on how much boost you want to run. if you run lower boost you should be OK, if you run higher boost then OK you have a problem.

PFI can install the entire kit for you. It isn't free for install, but they will do a professional job. We will have a kit soon for autos.
You run into problems with the automatic because the stupid stock ECU controls the damned things shift points. Now, you're running boost and the computer doesn't know what to do.

Unless a company makes a computer that can control our electronic automatic safely and in conjuction with boost, you guys will have to go standalone. I got Tec3 on my car, it works like a sonuva*****. Valve body and torque convertor mods HIGHLY recommended

-A
Old 12-06-2002 | 11:46 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Placing a turbo kit on an atuo....

Originally posted by avalon42

You run into problems with the automatic because the stupid stock ECU controls the damned things shift points. Now, you're running boost and the computer doesn't know what to do.

Unless a company makes a computer that can control our electronic automatic safely and in conjuction with boost, you guys will have to go standalone. I got Tec3 on my car, it works like a sonuva*****. Valve body and torque convertor mods HIGHLY recommended

-A
You can say the same about the SC.
Old 12-06-2002 | 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Shadow

Nigel's kit has info for autos on his post...

Originally posted by Nigel
1. Automatic Maxima pricing is likely to be $100-$200 more across the board because the piping is more complex and there needs to be two rubber hoses that need to be replaced with Steel braided lines.
Old 12-06-2002 | 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Shadow

We offer a turbo kit, but like conrad posted for me (thanks) - we need your car at our shop in KY. Installation (free) should run hopefully under one week, and we plan on keeping the cost approximately the same as the 5spd turbo kit - contact me (hlh0501 on aol, or hh@psst.com) if you are really interested.

www.hlh0501.com for more info on our kit.
Old 12-06-2002 | 04:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Placing a turbo kit on an atuo....

Originally posted by WizzaMax

Nigel's kit has info for autos on his post...

Thanks dude! Installation will be free only on the first kit to be done! Also offering install for gauges and turbo timer for free.
Old 12-06-2002 | 07:04 PM

Man I wish I was in Kentucky...

that's the first time I have ever spoken those words...whew, scary!
Old 12-06-2002 | 11:28 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Man I wish I was in Kentucky...

that's the first time I have ever spoken those words...whew, scary!
that is scary, I dont even say that haha.. I like to think of louisville as being seperate from kentucky...
Old 12-07-2002 | 01:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Placing a turbo kit on an atuo....

Thanks dude! Installation will be free only on the first kit to be done! Also offering install for gauges and turbo timer for free.
Free on the first auto kit? hmmm I hope you havn't found anyone else yet to get it done. Cause that would save me a little any way to save money is good, I may have to talk to you guys sooner.
Ryan
Old 12-15-2002 | 09:20 AM

Couple of things:

Hey turbo97SE, keep me on your list, I look forward to add some boost to my auto 2K1 max in the upcoming year.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-18-2002 | 08:58 AM
maxedout1

ouch that hurt just looking at those pics of the max that was dissaembled. Please tell me that was from a wreck.
Old 12-19-2002 | 02:35 PM

Couple of things:

Hey turbo97SE, let say if I want to run 8-10 lbs of boost, I know most would say to get the VB recal done, but will that be enough ? Anyway my mind is set and I for shure will add boost to my max asap.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-20-2002 | 01:10 AM

Only if I had the money, I would spend one entire day driving my 97' Max down to Kentucky, since i just live north of you guys in Illinois, in the Chicagoland area. Maybe this coming summer i just might have the money.
Old 12-20-2002 | 06:10 AM

I sent an email to harold no response yet, I dunno if these people they dont want to sell or what?

And PFI is developing a turbo kit for autos for about a year now
Old 12-20-2002 | 04:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BluFlame
I sent an email to harold no response yet, I dunno if these people they dont want to sell or what?

Why are you laughing, my auto goes in, in about 2 weeks, and as far as the running 8-10 psi i would recomend a level 10 tranny rebuild kit or built proof tranny for that power, i am doing the vb and tranny cooler just on 4 psi.
Ryan
Old 12-20-2002 | 06:37 PM

Originally posted by BluFlame

I don't see your email , unless i have gotten back to you since then, might try sending it again?

and we have an automatic car already scheduled in january, so look for that coming very soon
Old 12-24-2002 | 09:58 PM

I have tranny cooler installed, battery relocated in trunk, ready for turbo. I dont want IC and I'm looking for 4-5psi, if possible?