Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Why is my car boosting low?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003 | 12:47 AM

Why is my car boosting low?

Hey guys, I have a 2000 SC max with a 3.125 pulley and I only seem to get 7 lbs of boost. Shouldn't I be boosting at least 9 psi? My belt doesn't seem to be slipping cuz it doesn't make any squealing noises, and BTW it's a gatorbelt. I have a catback exhaust system with a test pipe but I do not have my Y-pipe yet. Do u guys think that not having a y-pipe installed may cause this? I had the same problem with my 3.33 pulley also... My boost gauge only read 5 psi. I seem to be losing 2-3 psi somewhere. If u guys can help me out here, it'll be greatly appreciated. THanx!

~AC
Old 01-02-2003 | 03:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What kind of BOV do you have? if it is an aftermarket one, might want to check to see if it is set open a bit and losing boost.

If not that, then make sure all the silicone unions are not leaking air.

Dixit
Old 01-02-2003 | 06:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Could be the boost gauge (I've heard Autometers give inaccurate measurements).

You can also switch to the CAI, but then you'd have to re-do the BOV because you won't have the intake pipe to route air from the BOV back into the rest of the setup. So then you'll have to find out how to get the BOV working on its own so the car doesn't stall.

You might also try using heat-wrap on the pipes.

I've got the stock pulley, no exhaust work, stock SC setup, Greddy BOV, and the Greddy electronic boost gauge reads a maximum of .3 bar (4.3 PSI).
Old 01-02-2003 | 06:33 AM

Originally posted by Tanman
Could be the boost gauge (I've heard Autometers give inaccurate measurements).

You can also switch to the CAI, but then you'd have to re-do the BOV because you won't have the intake pipe to route air from the BOV back into the rest of the setup. So then you'll have to find out how to get the BOV working on its own so the car doesn't stall.

You might also try using heat-wrap on the pipes.

I've got the stock pulley, no exhaust work, stock SC setup, Greddy BOV, and the Greddy electronic boost gauge reads a maximum of .3 bar (4.3 PSI).
Tanman, I thought with a CAI setup and a BOV on the charged pipe, you dont need to route the air back into the cai. Kev doesnt do that nor does some others with the cai. I thought that was only the case with the Bosch.
Old 01-02-2003 | 06:36 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Tanman, I thought with a CAI setup and a BOV on the charged pipe, you dont need to route the air back into the cai. Kev doesnt do that nor does some others with the cai. I thought that was only the case with the Bosch.
Maxboost00 and some others haven't been able to get the car to not stall using a BOV. To fix that, Maxboost00 routes his BOV back to the intake system so you still get the cool sound of the BOV, but you don't lose air and mess up the AF ratio so the car doesn't stall.

I think if they tuned the BOV correctly, they wouldn't have the problem, but TheNewClimax checked everywhere and could never get his BOV to work correctly.
Old 01-02-2003 | 06:39 AM

Maxboost00 and some others haven't been able to get the car to not stall using a BOV. To fix that, Maxboost00 routes his BOV back to the intake system so you still get the cool sound of the BOV, but you don't lose air and mess up the AF ratio so the car doesn't stall.

I think if they tuned the BOV correctly, they wouldn't have the problem, but TheNewClimax checked everywhere and could never get his BOV to work correctly.
Interesting.... Well since I got no s/c anymore.... I cant enjoy those sounds anymore.... but soon enough something else will be in there to replace it.

Dixit
Old 01-02-2003 | 06:46 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Interesting.... Well since I got no s/c anymore.... I cant enjoy those sounds anymore.... but soon enough something else will be in there to replace it.

Dixit
Ohhhh, turbo time?

I'm moving to an apartment one block from the office, so I don't need my car to get to work. Hopefully, this means I'll be able to leave it at a shop for days at a time while mod work is being performed .
Old 01-02-2003 | 07:25 AM

Ohhhh, turbo time?

I'm moving to an apartment one block from the office, so I don't need my car to get to work. Hopefully, this means I'll be able to leave it at a shop for days at a time while mod work is being performed .
So you thinking about it too? or just more tweakage from the s/c?

Mine will be ready in 3weeks. Just wait and we will see where im at....Hhahaha
Old 01-02-2003 | 09:36 AM

faulty gauge...

I have a 5th gen w/ 3.33 I got 7psi, but dynoed 297fwhp & 244ft lbs(untuned, 5spd, full exhaust) jumped to 8psi with CAI.
I'm using autometer phantom gauge. According to the dyno I am at full power but my gauge is reading 1-2 psi lower than other SC guys. Now with 3.125 I only boost 9.xx. Jump on a dyno and compare your numbers, that's how to figure out if you're really boosting too low. And the obvious, leaks on the charge pipe and BOV.
Old 01-02-2003 | 10:59 AM

Thanx guys for the quick responses...

Well, I have the blitz DD BOV, but I will try to tune it up today to see if anything changes. As for a CAI, can't the Stealin intake piping be considered somewhat of a CAI since it routes from the bottom of the car (away from engine heat)to the charger? BTW, I have a 5-speed.

Luckily, I will be dynoing my car this saturday to see what I am pushing. I am hoping that it is just my autometer gauge that is inaccurate but I doubt it since the readings are way off. In any case, what do u guys think I should be pushing if I have a 3.125 pulley, greddy catback exhaust, test pipe, and 1 step colder plugs? OH, BTW, I only have 8000 miles on my car so maybe that will make a difference. I am hoping to break into 300fwhp. I kinda want to know what I should be expecting. What do u guys think? Thanx again !

~AC
Old 01-02-2003 | 12:08 PM

Originally posted by maxxboost00

Well, I have the blitz DD BOV, but I will try to tune it up today to see if anything changes. As for a CAI, can't the Stealin intake piping be considered somewhat of a CAI since it routes from the bottom of the car (away from engine heat)to the charger? BTW, I have a 5-speed.

Luckily, I will be dynoing my car this saturday to see what I am pushing. I am hoping that it is just my autometer gauge that is inaccurate but I doubt it since the readings are way off. In any case, what do u guys think I should be pushing if I have a 3.125 pulley, greddy catback exhaust, test pipe, and 1 step colder plugs? OH, BTW, I only have 8000 miles on my car so maybe that will make a difference. I am hoping to break into 300fwhp. I kinda want to know what I should be expecting. What do u guys think? Thanx again !

~AC
No, the intake pipe is not a CAI because it routes air across the top of the engine, so the air is getting heated before it goes to the SC. Also, the air flow is more constricted because it routes from down in the engine bay, up and across the engine, then around to the SC. With a CAI, it goes up from the filter and pretty much straight into the SC.
Old 01-02-2003 | 08:51 PM

Yeah first swap the gauge check that out. If not you got a leak somewhere. 3.125 should make 10-11 easy.
Old 01-04-2003 | 09:12 PM

~AC
I have an Autometer gauge, and never read over 7-8PSI with my 3.25" Pulley.

What is your vacuum reading? Exactly which gauge is it?

Because with me, even though my boost is showing low, I'm hitting 277hp at the wheels......not too shabby for an autotragic.
Old 01-05-2003 | 02:14 AM

well, I wasn'r able to dyno my car today cuz the person who was going to dyno it for me had to go to the hospital. So, because of that, I will be dynoing my car next week for a much cheaper price . But NEwayz, To answer some questions... I have the sport comp autometer boost gauge and it does not read any higher then 7-8 psi with my 3.125 pulley. My vacuum reading is 20 mmHG so I'm guessing that it is reading it correctly. I won't really know until I dyno it. Do u guys think that my belt could be too tight ot too loose? My last resort could be my BOV. Maybe I am losing boost from there. I don't know, I guess I will wait till next Sat. Just to be clear though, I should be at least 10-11 psi, right? somewhere over 300 fwhp, right?

~AC
Old 01-05-2003 | 02:32 AM

well, I wasn'r able to dyno my car today cuz the person who was going to dyno it for me had to go to the hospital. So, because of that, I will be dynoing my car next week for a much cheaper price . But NEwayz, To answer some questions... I have the sport comp autometer boost gauge and it does not read any higher then 7-8 psi with my 3.125 pulley. My vacuum reading is 20 mmHG so I'm guessing that it is reading it correctly. I won't really know until I dyno it. Do u guys think that my belt could be too tight ot too loose? My last resort could be my BOV. Maybe I am losing boost from there. I don't know, I guess I will wait till next Sat. Just to be clear though, I should be at least 10-11 psi, right? somewhere over 300 fwhp, right?

~AC
my vacuum has never read over 16, and I spent 6 months resealing every gasket and checking every hose - I gave up trying to figure it out.

Anyway, There is a myth that if your BOV is set too loose you'll boost leak - I myself have found that whether the BOV is wide open or totally closed, I get the same boost. Now, if the FLANGE at th bottom of the BOV has a leak, well, that's a problem.

But the BOV will not leak under boost, no matter how "open" it is. It blows air off after it detects vacuum only. (of course, I'm speaking of my Blitz BOV, I have no experience otherwise)

IanS
Old 01-05-2003 | 02:05 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

it could definately be the bov being too loose... i have the greddy, and i opened it up to hear the noise whoosh sound, and only hit 9 lbs boost whereas i was hitting 10-11 consistently before. I tightened it back up today, but haven't done any runs yet... we'll see.