Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo piping

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 03:50 AM

Turbo piping

When you go turbo on a Max, do you use the exhaust from both sides of the engine or just one? If it's just one side, does it affect how that half of the engine performs being that there is more vaccuum on that side? Or does the turbo connect at some point after the two exhaust manifolds come together?

Does anyone have any pics from above and underneath of a FWD V6 turbo car? I guess I don't really understand the piping.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2003, 04:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Turbo piping

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
When you go turbo on a Max, do you use the exhaust from both sides of the engine or just one? If it's just one side, does it affect how that half of the engine performs being that there is more vaccuum on that side? Or does the turbo connect at some point after the two exhaust manifolds come together?

Does anyone have any pics from above and underneath of a FWD V6 turbo car? I guess I don't really understand the piping.

Thanks!
If it is done right (and it is not a twin turbo), the exhaust piping from both banks of cylinders is manifolded together before the turbine. This is done as a matter of course in the y-pipe of a single exhaust system, but routing of the pipes in a turbo setup is more circuitous because of the need to locate the turbine in a place where you can route the intake pipe as well.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:56 AM

Re: Re: Turbo piping

Originally posted by Stephen Max

If it is done right (and it is not a twin turbo), the exhaust piping from both banks of cylinders is manifolded together before the turbine. This is done as a matter of course in the y-pipe of a single exhaust system, but routing of the pipes in a turbo setup is more circuitous because of the need to locate the turbine in a place where you can route the intake pipe as well.
Thanks for the info. That is pretty much how I imagined it. Funny though, there just isn't a lot of room in engine bays, that's what is so intriguing; all that piping.

So would it use a special y-pipe then? A y-pipe that went to the turbine instead of the exhaust, then from the turbine back through to the exhaust where the y-pipe left off?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Turbo piping

Thanks for the info. That is pretty much how I imagined it. Funny though, there just isn't a lot of room in engine bays, that's what is so intriguing; all that piping.

So would it use a special y-pipe then? A y-pipe that went to the turbine instead of the exhaust, then from the turbine back through to the exhaust where the y-pipe left off?
You got it.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Turbo piping

you just described my turbo kit and amazingly enough, there is enough room for it all, althought here is a LOT of piping in there especially when you add the intercooler piping to it, and the charged air around and back to the throttle body, add the intake in there , and you've taken up some serious room... all fits and works beautifully though
Old 01-23-2003, 04:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo piping

Originally posted by hlh0501

you just described my turbo kit and amazingly enough, there is enough room for it all, althought here is a LOT of piping in there especially when you add the intercooler piping to it, and the charged air around and back to the throttle body, add the intake in there , and you've taken up some serious room... all fits and works beautifully though
Yes, I think I've watched vids of your car on vqpower.com