Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Looking for as much info on built motors as possible

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 07:33 AM

Looking for as much info on built motors as possible

I think my summer project will be building a max motor. I have heard they are less reliable/problem riddled?

Any info on suppliers, things we have learned etc, etc would be greatly appreciated. I know this is stuff people like to keep "secret"... but...???

thanks guys,

-ctn
Old 04-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much power do you want?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
How much power do you want?
hypothetically speaking, lets say 400+ ???
I just kinda want something to do now that the turbo is done.

I figured a port and polish (free - more or less)
o-ring the head?
turbo pistons
rods

are cranks available? I really dont know the availability of motor parts.

we cant get more than 500 hp on the blocks, correct?

(im not going to ask if i can use 300zx parts, )

Thanks man,

newman

ctnewman@eng.buffalo.edu
Old 04-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I'm puting down ~430whp with out any correction factor. Est ~500 crank HP Thats increadable! But I really dont think its gonna last long, but who knows.

IMHO before you go hog wild on a motor to make over 400whp, you need to have every thing else ready, especially the fuel system. Injectors pump etc. Ignition is also a consideration. Seriously look at the J&S safeguard, its cheep insurance that your expensive block wont detonate if somthing goes wrong. Even if i was to do standalone ECU I would piggy back the J&S so it can monitor the knock sensor.

Now to the motor. Rods, Pistons, Stock Crank, O ring, P&P aint that big of a deal on a FI motor, ARP heab studs & main studs to replace the bolts set up, also ARP rod bolts should come with your rods, copper head gasket, some coatings ont he pistons, combustion chamber and valves, pistons should come woth good rings, us a 3.5L oil pump, factory bearings are fine as long as the are measuerd and sized perfectly, IMHO cams are a waste for FI.

All for now.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:38 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Well, I'm puting down ~430whp with out any correction factor. Est ~500 crank HP Thats increadable! But I really dont think its gonna last long, but who knows.

IMHO before you go hog wild on a motor to make over 400whp, you need to have every thing else ready, especially the fuel system. Injectors pump etc. Ignition is also a consideration. Seriously look at the J&S safeguard, its cheep insurance that your expensive block wont detonate if somthing goes wrong. Even if i was to do standalone ECU I would piggy back the J&S so it can monitor the knock sensor.

Now to the motor. Rods, Pistons, Stock Crank, O ring, P&P aint that big of a deal on a FI motor, ARP heab studs & main studs to replace the bolts set up, also ARP rod bolts should come with your rods, copper head gasket, some coatings ont he pistons, combustion chamber and valves, pistons should come woth good rings, us a 3.5L oil pump, factory bearings are fine as long as the are measuerd and sized perfectly, IMHO cams are a waste for FI.

All for now.
You are a plethora of knowledge. The VQ tweaking guru!
Old 05-03-2003, 01:09 PM

Talk to Matthel I belive hes building one, or if not..has built one
Old 05-03-2003, 01:21 PM

matthel built one already.... but he has soo many problems with that thing.... and hes been trying to fix it.....
Old 05-03-2003, 01:23 PM

On_alert....can you post that picture agian of your custom Guage pod? Did you make that out of Fiberglass?