Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Narrowing Down Turbos.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Ramius83

Narrowing Down Turbos.......

Ok, I guess I will start a new thread about this.

Basically, I have two routes to follow. I can have a strictly all track car, or strictly a street car. Now, with using standard turbos, no ball bearing or GT turbos, I can either stick with the T3/T04E for the street or a straight T4/T04E.

My questions are:

1. What are the BEST trim sizes would I use on the T3/T04E to keep the top-end that it will loose, granted with loosing some low end.

2. What trim sizes would I use on the T4/T04E to get some low/mid end with keeping the high end.

Now, say these trim sizes get the turbos pretty close in functionality. Which turbo would basically be best for our setup? And which one would you recommend?

Thanks Turbo guros......

Old 06-04-2003, 11:26 AM

Because it's like twice the money?

Originally posted by slammed95
Why not ball bearing? Better for the street and track, and stronger.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:04 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Well, the stock VQ30 has pretty good low end TQ, so maybe optimize the turbo purchase for mid and high end gains. I've got the VQ35, so I've got a better advantage there (low end TQ), and I'd be all over a T4/04E and a compressor setup that optimizes high end power.

First, you need to decide if it's a track or street car.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Ramius83

Well, I just ordered my kit. I went with the T4/T04E Ball Bearing turbo, identical to Kev's........

Old 06-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by MAXIN
PFI?
Somewhere around there.....Yes....

Old 06-05-2003, 03:16 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Ramius83
Well, I just ordered my kit. I went with the T4/T04E Ball Bearing turbo, identical to Kev's........
uh oh..

looks like there might be an upgrade in my future
Old 06-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

So did you go with O or P trim? Mine is P but you were thinking of getting O.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ball Bearing

Originally posted by slammed95
Why not ball bearing? Better for the street and track, and stronger.
Not only is it the price but from what I understand... BB turbos are not covered for repair! If for whatever reason you blow your turbo or damage it, you have to buy a whole new turbo! Regular ones can be serviced. I may be wrong but this is what i was told!

Deac
Old 06-05-2003, 11:14 PM

you can't have i tall. turbo's are not designed that way.

you want top end? 60-65 on the exhaust side a/r should be plenty
mid range
id guess round 48-60
low end. 30-48.

the smaller the number, the faster it spools, the less power you make
the higher the number, the laggier it is, the more power you make.
me personally, id go for the 60-65 trim. once, you're in that power band, you stay there when racing.

just some helpful info from the dsm world. my numbers might be off due to different cars/motors
just food for thought
Old 06-06-2003, 06:50 AM
Ramius83

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

So did you go with O or P trim? Mine is P but you were thinking of getting O.
I went with you same exact P Trim because it was proven by you to be an AWESOME combination. And since our engines are identical displacement wise, it will basically perform the same way mine will, hopefully lol. If not, then I have a great $1100.00 or so paperweight.

Originally posted by DEAC

Not only is it the price but from what I understand... BB turbos are not covered for repair! If for whatever reason you blow your turbo or damage it, you have to buy a whole new turbo! Regular ones can be serviced. I may be wrong but this is what i was told!
DEAC: Basically, as a rule of thumb, a regular turbo, non ball bearing usually needs to be rebuilt or replaced on the 100k mile mark. They are designed to go a VERY long time before any maintenance is required. With the ball-bearing option, I "think" that the turbo itself will last much longer because of it being ball bearing. Granted, that I will have to keep a CLOSE watch on the oil I am using. But with that being a given, I think that after you factor in all the calculations of what I will gain/loose with the T3/T4 and the straight T4, the ball bearing option on the T4 should be standard on our engines.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I went with you same exact P Trim because it was proven by you to be an AWESOME combination. And since our engines are identical displacement wise, it will basically perform the same way mine will, hopefully lol. If not, then I have a great $1100.00 or so paperweight.
Since your car is healthy, it should do a lot better than mine.

Good luck! I'm thinking at least 340 with a VI and a complete 3" exhaust.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Since your car is healthy, it should do a lot better than mine.

Good luck! I'm thinking at least 340 with a VI and a complete 3" exhaust.
Well, I need to talk with a shop to get the full 3" exhaust work done here in Atlanta. Grand Muffler, where Bags goes, will probably end up doing it. I just have to see how much they are gonna charge me.....

Old 06-06-2003, 09:13 PM

Hey, I'm actually having a 3" exhaust done too. My friend at Batlground is doing all the welding and flanges, but obviously all the mandrel bends have to be done by Grand. It's cheaper for each of us if we just get them to make 2 at the same time. You want me to check to see what the price difference is if we get two done?

Well, I need to talk with a shop to get the full 3" exhaust work done here in Atlanta. Grand Muffler, where Bags goes, will probably end up doing it. I just have to see how much they are gonna charge me.....
Old 06-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by Shadow
Hey, I'm actually having a 3" exhaust done too. My friend at Batlground is doing all the welding and flanges, but obviously all the mandrel bends have to be done by Grand. It's cheaper for each of us if we just get them to make 2 at the same time. You want me to check to see what the price difference is if we get two done?

You already know my answer Jeff,

BTW, I need to talk to you regarding the diff. I am going to soon post about it publicly.....

Old 06-06-2003, 10:05 PM

Cool, I'll see what I can do then.

And call me about the diff, or email me, whatever is more convenient. Thanks.

You already know my answer Jeff,

BTW, I need to talk to you regarding the diff. I am going to soon post about it publicly.....
Old 06-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by Shadow
Cool, I'll see what I can do then.

And call me about the diff, or email me, whatever is more convenient. Thanks.

Actually, put me in for two. My other guy, a 3rd Gen VE owner, who is also going turbo within the next month, he will need one too.....

Old 06-07-2003, 08:17 PM

well a friend and i have made alot of calculations and stuff and it turns out that 70 trim mite do it for our air thirsty engines