Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

while I was driving on a on ramp to another freeway today, I noticed that a Boxter was following me really close...and I really wanted to find out if I can run with this nice machine.

once I got off the ramp, I pulled to inner lane and let him get right next to me. he saw me pulled off and quickt he caught up with me and stayed in the outter lane. the road was clear @ 6:05am.......got my car at 4th gear, 2500 rpm @ 60mph. I know once I floored the pedal, she will downshift to the second to 5500rpm and I might have a chance to pull on him.

once I am ready to go....I took a quick glance at my EGT and turned out that my EGT is really high. 750c @ 60mph, 2500rpm. we were running on an uphill road too. affraid of ruining my car, I didnt step on her....and I had no choice but to watch the porsche getting away from me.

Why is my EGT so high? at cruising, it seems fine....80mph and I am only getting 640c the most. but once on uphill road (only 10% incline the most) it just works all the way to the top.

am I detonating? I didnt hear anything.....the only noise that I have is the ypipe rattling against something (it doesnt show up all the time). If I am detonating....isnt my knock sensor supposed to retard my timing and make my car slower?

is my stock cat-back too restrictive??

thx for any help~
Old 06-05-2003, 08:47 AM

Wow.. 1382 @ 60mph definitely high.. When I cruise @ 80 my egt is only like 1200.. When you drive the car hard the EGT does go up..

Now we have a porshe boxster thinking he can take a boosted max. If it was just a regular and not a "s" you should have been able to take him
Old 06-05-2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
Wow.. 1382 @ 60mph definitely high.. When I cruise @ 80 my egt is only like 1200.. When you drive the car hard the EGT does go up..
that's about right for my EGT temp @ 80mph, crusing....640c = 1200f

I dont know what caused the EGT to go that high at that moment. (it is always high when I drive that uphill road) It was a curvey on ramp and follow by a 10% incline freeway.

Now we have a porshe boxster thinking he can take a boosted max. If it was just a regular and not a "s" you should have been able to take him
hopefull I will meet him again~
Old 06-05-2003, 09:36 AM

Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

once I am ready to go....I took a quick glance at my EGT and turned out that my EGT is really high. 750c @ 60mph, 2500rpm. we were running on an uphill road too. affraid of ruining my car, I didnt step on her....and I had no choice but to watch the porsche getting away from me.

Why is my EGT so high? at cruising, it seems fine....80mph and I am only getting 640c the most. but once on uphill road (only 10% incline the most) it just works all the way to the top.

You have to give it more gas when going uphill. More gas = higher EGTs.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

Originally posted by Stephen Max

You have to give it more gas when going uphill. More gas = higher EGTs.
hmmm.....but I want to lower the EGT so that I can boost with the porsche though.

I was partial throttling again to adjust to the right rpm for bost.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:57 AM

Have you considered getting a new exhaust? That should help a little but an intercooler would be nice also. Are you tuned?
Old 06-05-2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by CBass69187
Have you considered getting a new exhaust? That should help a little but an intercooler would be nice also. Are you tuned?
I am thinking about fixing the stock bpipe to get rid off those crushed section. I want to see how much will that cost from a local shop.

intercooler might be too expensive for me. I am thinking about using water/alcohol injection. cheaper (400)...but you have to fill the resevoir frequently.

I am not tuned, super rich under 10:1 AFR.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

hmmm.....but I want to lower the EGT so that I can boost with the porsche though.

I was partial throttling again to adjust to the right rpm for bost.
You probably would have been okay once you went to WOT and got that 10:1 fmu into action.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

You probably would have been okay once you went to WOT and got that 10:1 fmu into action.
I have an 8:1

wouldnt high tempearture damage the engine interals?
Old 06-05-2003, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

and I just read this article....

detonation will cause the EGT to drop...

The other technique is a little more subtle but usable if attention is paid to EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature). Detonation will actually cause EGTs to drop. This behavior has fooled a lot of people because they will watch the EGT and think that it is in a low enough range to be safe, the only reason it is low is because the engine is detonating.

The only way you know what is actually happening is to be very familiar with your specific engine EGT readings as calibrations and probe locations vary. If, for example, you normally run 1500 degrees at a given MAP setting and you suddenly see 1125 after picking up a fresh load of fuel you should be alert to possible or incipient detonation. Any drop from normal EGT should be reason for concern. Using the "Tin Ear" during the early test stage and watching the EGT very carefully, other than just plain listening with your ear without any augmentation, is the only way to identify detonation. The good thing is, most engines will live with a fairly high level of detonation for some period of time. It is not an instantaneous type failure.
now I am confused...I thought it will raise the EGT.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

Sorry, I meant 8:1. If you are running rich at WOT, like you've said in other posts, then even though your EGT was higher than you expected at partial throttle at 60 mph (but that was because you were going up the hill), once you went WOT your rich, fmu-controlled afr would have kept temperatures down. In theory.

Where did you read about detonation causing EGT to drop? I'm not disputing, I'd like to read that article.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

Sorry, I meant 8:1. If you are running rich at WOT, like you've said in other posts, then even though your EGT was higher than you expected at partial throttle at 60 mph (but that was because you were going up the hill), once you went WOT your rich, fmu-controlled afr would have kept temperatures down. In theory.

Where did you read about detonation causing EGT to drop? I'm not disputing, I'd like to read that article.
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articl...e_Basics_V.php

here is the link.....I got it by searching under yahoo with "detonation and EGT"

thx for your help
Old 06-06-2003, 02:25 AM
Jer

You folks are confusing me, but I betcha redoing your exhaust will make your EGT's look much better
Old 06-06-2003, 06:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articl...e_Basics_V.php

here is the link.....I got it by searching under yahoo with "detonation and EGT"

thx for your help
Thanks, Maxi. Pretty interesting stuff, especially this:

"We now know that the Hemi design is at the worst end of the spectrum for a combustion chamber "

now that Dodge has a big advertising campaign selling the Hemi engine.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

Jer: you had stock bpipe with EGT gauge, right? how does the EGT look after you get the aftermarket car-back?

Thanks, Maxi. Pretty interesting stuff, especially this:

"We now know that the Hemi design is at the worst end of the spectrum for a combustion chamber "

now that Dodge has a big advertising campaign selling the Hemi engine.
no problem stephen....why is this line so interesting? sorry that I dont have any knowledge in hemi engine.

I didnt see that boxster today. but instead, an M3 (last gen) was following me and I sure gave him a good run!
Old 06-06-2003, 08:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

no problem stephen....why is this line so interesting? sorry that I dont have any knowledge in hemi engine.

It's interesting because Dodge is presently selling the Hemi engine as being something really desirable, based on a thirty year old reputation. When I was in high school (1970) the Dodge Charger and Plymouth Roadrunner had Hemi engines, and they were hot stuff. But it turns out that more modern combustion chamber designs are considerably better when it comes to high performance engines. So much better that this article says the Hemi combustion chamber is the worst.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:04 AM

Dont sweat the EGT's till you got well into the 800's, like 820 or so. My bet is when you floored it from 750 your EGT's would have dropped because the FMU would have ritchend it up. Ive seen it happen. Part throttle cruising on the interstate I see 760 all the time, then nail it and it drops.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

and I just read this article....

detonation will cause the EGT to drop...

now I am confused...I thought it will raise the EGT.
From reading the article: the reason the EGT gets lower once detonation occurs is that detonation breaks through the thermally insulating boundary layer of gas at the piston surface and heat goes out of the exhaust gas and into the piston (which is what causes piston damage, as well as the explosive shock). This cause the engine to overheat, which increases detonation further.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Dont sweat the EGT's till you got well into the 800's, like 820 or so. My bet is when you floored it from 750 your EGT's would have dropped because the FMU would have ritchend it up. Ive seen it happen. Part throttle cruising on the interstate I see 760 all the time, then nail it and it drops.
I forgot to mention about this...

you and Stephen are right and I tested today too. The EGT was 750 before boosting....once I floored the pedal, it went up a little and then dropped back down to 720 and stayed there. I floored it again right after and it didnt go up.

thx
Old 06-06-2003, 03:40 PM

Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

once you floor it and the FMU detects boost your FP will go up and it wont let your EGT surpass 800 Degrees Celsius, My EGTs are between 600-720 Celsius just regular crusing.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:28 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Good info guys...more food for thought for me!
Old 06-07-2003, 02:27 AM
Jer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High EGT = no race against a Prosche Boxter

Afraid I never took the route on this car

Jer: you had stock bpipe with EGT gauge, right? how does the EGT look after you get the aftermarket car-back?

I didnt see that boxster today. but instead, an M3 (last gen) was following me and I sure gave him a good run!