Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo Help and questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Turbo Help and questions

Hey guys, this is my first post and I gotta say its one heck of a setup and I've always kinda liked Maximas, but no I do not drive a Maxima. I drive a 1991 Ford Taurus SHO, 3.0 DOHC Yamaha V6, 5-speed, etc etc. There are some supercharged SHO's out there, but they have not been all that impressive in the 1/4 mi due mainly to traction issues and lack of low end torque.

There is one man with an SHO like mine and is the only Turbo SHO, with some work (overbore to 3.2, 9.0 CR, quafie LSD), along with his T60 Profec turbo, 8lbs of boost, he netted 360HP and 345 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, and ran so far a best of 13.1 at 113.9 in the 1/4.

My main question is, from what I've seen on here with some of the turbo Maximas, is should I run the turbo off one bank or two? How do you all have the y-pipe bent and everything? It all seems confusing and since the engine layout, and even the amount of space is pretty much the same in the engine bay, how do you all have yours setup? Any suggestions? Anywhere in or around Missouri that I can go to, cause isn't NIgel (that the right guy?) or sxr7 in Kentucky? Hopefully you all can help me out. Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 02:51 PM

Re: Turbo Help and questions

You'll want to run the turbo off both banks. That's how all the current Maxima turbos are run. Maxima setups use a Y-Pipe or reverse Y-Pipe to tie the exhaust banks together, you'll have to do something similar. It's going to be a tight fit, several of my friends have SHO's, and they're contemplating turbo setups also, but there's not too much room to work with. Actually, you may have heard of them, they run a shop called Innovative Performance and make LSD's along with coilovers for the SHO.

BTW, Hal is in KY (CA now), Nigel is in CO, and SX7R is in TX?

Originally posted by Iamthebull
Hey guys, this is my first post and I gotta say its one heck of a setup and I've always kinda liked Maximas, but no I do not drive a Maxima. I drive a 1991 Ford Taurus SHO, 3.0 DOHC Yamaha V6, 5-speed, etc etc. There are some supercharged SHO's out there, but they have not been all that impressive in the 1/4 mi due mainly to traction issues and lack of low end torque.

There is one man with an SHO like mine and is the only Turbo SHO, with some work (overbore to 3.2, 9.0 CR, quafie LSD), along with his T60 Profec turbo, 8lbs of boost, he netted 360HP and 345 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, and ran so far a best of 13.1 at 113.9 in the 1/4.

My main question is, from what I've seen on here with some of the turbo Maximas, is should I run the turbo off one bank or two? How do you all have the y-pipe bent and everything? It all seems confusing and since the engine layout, and even the amount of space is pretty much the same in the engine bay, how do you all have yours setup? Any suggestions? Anywhere in or around Missouri that I can go to, cause isn't NIgel (that the right guy?) or sxr7 in Kentucky? Hopefully you all can help me out. Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea I know it's gonna be tough, I look forward to it though, and yea I've heard of IPT, tell all your SHO friends about SHO Forums in case they arent already on there. Any other info would be appreciated, thanks guys!
Old 07-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Turbo Help and questions

My friend at work has a 1992?? Taurus SHO. They are nice and Torquey in 3rd gear. I have looked under the hood of one of these - love those snakes (intake)! Well yes they have a similar setup to the Maxima BUT I don't think there is any space under the hood for a turbo. It would have to sit pretty low. Engines for the SHO are pretty expensive, so I'd be careful, they're pretty exotic Yamaha engines not the run-of-the-mill Fords unlike Maxima engines that are cheeeeeep!

I am certain there is a sho website where you can get a lot more info:

http://www.shoforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...?ubb=get_daily

Best of Luck!

Nigel

Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So do you all use the stock exhaust manifolds since you pretty much use a custom y-pipe? and the throttle body is on the same side as your alls, so should I have the turbo on the opposite side (move battery to trunk), so that I can plumb straight down to the intercooler, and on the oppisite side have the piping come up straight into the throttle body?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:08 AM

Well, on a Maxima, the turbo has to be mounted on the same side as the TB. So most setups run the turbo hot pipe straight down to the IC, then a crossover pipe from the other side of the engine to the TB. Some run it the other way around, but to me, the best way is to run the crossover pipe from the IC outlet to the TB. It simplifies piping.

So do you all use the stock exhaust manifolds since you pretty much use a custom y-pipe? and the throttle body is on the same side as your alls, so should I have the turbo on the opposite side (move battery to trunk), so that I can plumb straight down to the intercooler, and on the oppisite side have the piping come up straight into the throttle body?