Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

What the **** is up with my boost controller?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Ramius83

What the **** is up with my boost controller?????

Ok, so today, I tried to turn up the boost, with no luck.

I have the Blitz SBC-ID Version III, which is the same as the previous versions.

I have it all hooked up and wired up in the following way:

Tial wastegate top port going to OUT port on boost controller. Tial side port going to the fitting on the turbocharger compressor. Then I have the IN port of the boost controller going to that same line of the compressor. I have the actual boost controller set to 8.0 PSI and I have it set at WG, which is external wastegate. What am I doing wrong?

On the IN port of the boost controller, I even tried re-routing that to the vacuum off the manifold, but that just opens the wastegate up at idle, very loud and still will not boost.

Is this a problem with my setup or with the boost controller? I am constantly seeing only 4 psi, and that is all I can do on the Tial wastegate before I change out the spring, which I cannot disengage those screws holding the tial top on. I am out of ideas here....

Old 08-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: What the **** is up with my boost controller?????

If you are running stock exhaust, the highest you will get is probably 4 psi. The spring you have is 6.5 or 7 psi I believe. You're all choked up! If you want more boost, try disconnecting the bolts to your cat for more flow temporarily. It will be hard for you to get any more boost on stock exhaust, I've tried this!

As far as your boost controller is concerned, it sounds weird. Most boost controllers don't blow air like yours apparently does, they just control pressure to the top of the wastegate using pulse width modulated air (for solenoid types). For wastegates that can control below stock spring pressure, they will blow air to activate the wastegate ... although I don't know of any that do this.

*EDIT* one more thing you can try - a little risky but I have tried this before is you can do a makeshift boost controller to give you a bit more boost. Use a vacuum tee and tee in the line that goes to the side of your wastegate. Use some vacuum line and connect to the open side. Use a ziptie to vary the size of the opening of the vacuum line. This releases some pressure from that line but will still open your wastegate at a higher psi. you can try this as an experiment, but be careful! I managed to get an additional 1-2 psi from doing this. I did this for about 3 months so it's pretty reliable though I have no guarantees on boost spike etc.

Originally posted by Ramius83
Ok, so today, I tried to turn up the boost, with no luck.

I have the Blitz SBC-ID Version III, which is the same as the previous versions.

I have it all hooked up and wired up in the following way:

Tial wastegate top port going to OUT port on boost controller. Tial side port going to the fitting on the turbocharger compressor. Then I have the IN port of the boost controller going to that same line of the compressor. I have the actual boost controller set to 8.0 PSI and I have it set at WG, which is external wastegate. What am I doing wrong?

On the IN port of the boost controller, I even tried re-routing that to the vacuum off the manifold, but that just opens the wastegate up at idle, very loud and still will not boost.

Is this a problem with my setup or with the boost controller? I am constantly seeing only 4 psi, and that is all I can do on the Tial wastegate before I change out the spring, which I cannot disengage those screws holding the tial top on. I am out of ideas here....
Old 08-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Ramius83

Man, that sucks. I guess that one of these days I will un-bolt the cat and see what happens. That just plain sucks lol.

I have everything on the boost controller setup the way that it says to in the instructions. I have the setting on Channel 1, set at 8.0 PSI and a Gain of 15. No warning, no scramble, and no peak. And all the vacuum lines I know are correct, so I know it can't be that. Anyways, thanks for the help Nigel.

Old 08-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Ramius83

Darn it, are you sure Nigel? I hope it isn't that lol, I don't have the money for that right now lol......

Old 08-16-2003, 10:18 PM

is your boost controller reading vacuum and boost?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:19 PM

The only other thing I can suggest is that you try to do a master reset on the boost controller. My EVC IV had a problem where I overboosted and it forced everything back to "stock" boost levels and I couldn't figure out how to turn up the boost again.

you might want to make sure you have the little filter type things installed too. They look like check valves but I think they are filters ... I am not 100% sure I highly doubt it is this but it is a possibility (if you haven't already done this).

I was wondering if you disconnect EVERYTHING from the solenoid, does it still blow air? It really shouldn't be ... that part makes no sense!

What are the readings that you get from the Blitz meter itself? Does it give you readings or do you need the additional MAP sensor?

If you read my inital posts about my turbo kit, I couldn't get past 4 psi even though the spring was 6 psi. Even with the vacuum line suggestion I mentioned.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Ramius83

The solenoid is not blowing air anymore. The out port of the solenoid is vacuum at idle, which is what it should be doing. The controller is reading boost, a couple Hgs below my boost gauge, but it is reading it. It is also reading boost up to 3 psi.

I am at a loss at this moment......

Old 08-17-2003, 09:33 AM

be sure the thin vacuum line going to the blitz control unit is not leaking. i hate those fittings they come with, never know if they are tight or not.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Ramius83

Thomas, what settings did you have on your boost controller when you were first using it? While on the main boost graph/screen, I have Channel 1 enabled at 8.0 psi. Under the Channel 1 setting, it is set at 8.0 psi, with a Gain of 15, set at automatic. With it plugged up the way I have it now, shouldn't I be seeing boost above what I have now?????

Old 08-17-2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83
Thomas, what settings did you have on your boost controller when you were first using it? While on the main boost graph/screen, I have Channel 1 enabled at 8.0 psi. Under the Channel 1 setting, it is set at 8.0 psi, with a Gain of 15, set at automatic. With it plugged up the way I have it now, shouldn't I be seeing boost above what I have now?????

i had my gain set at 20, 10psi auto to start with. also, keep in mind that the auto function takes quite a few tries for it to "learn". once it learns it'll be dead on every time.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Ramius83

Thomas, this is interesting. Today, Bags came over and we looked at it. We said, "F-it", we went to Lowes and bought a valve and some fittings. We rigged up a manual boost controller and went at it. Even with it all the way open, we were able to hit 7.5 psi on the gauge. If that worked, then WTF is up with the controller? I let it learn a few times lol, a good number of times and it just will not activate the boost. Tomorrow I am dropping the car off at the shop to LET THEM do the rear main seal, so I guess I have some time to figure out this problem. If not, I will be promptly taking it off and selling it lol, and getting a cheaper, more dependable boost controller.........