Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Question re by-pass

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:08 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Question re by-pass

A question was posted at my local Nissan website about a member's buddy installing an Eaton M62 supercharger from a Mercedes onto a Cavalier Z24. The question I saw here was about lowering the PSI.

Here it is:

"Ok my friends got a supercharger on his car, from a Mercedes. The stock supercharger pushes 9 PSI. First try out, they blew the engine. Now he's mechanic. (Let's call him stupid). Anyways stupid has build something that was supposed to release the air once the gas pedal was release. It didn't work. Now that he's mechanic doesn't know what to do. He came to me. I've got to build him the piping fro the supercharger to the intake. (He also have an intercooler.) Why did he saked me, because I've did my turbo install.

I need to know how the PSI can be lowered to 4 PSI (If it can be done) And I need to know if a BOV can be install on a supercharger. (I don't think so, but I can be wrong.)

Any valuable information would be appreciated.

More to it, they have remove the by pass valve on the top of the supercharger just so that it would fit. That's probably not hard to figure but I still need to know how to lower the PSI.

THanks"

My thought was to increase the size of the pulley as us boosted Maximas try to go with smaller pulleys in order to gain more PSI.

Anyhow someone who knew what kind of SC was installed posted this next:

"It's an Eaton M62 with a clutch actuated boost. Most of your street-type on up to your medium-duty racing superchargers set-ups don't require you to blow the air into the atmosphere, they use what is considered to be a standard type by-pass valve that is designed to re-circulate the air back into the supercharger, then the supercharger re-uses the air as it is needed. Due to the lower volume of air that these smaller type superchargers will be forcing, it is not necessary to have the air from the supercharger blow-off into the atmosphere. In general, it is recommended to use a standard by-pass valve on superchargers with 12psi or less."

I don't get the part about not requiring to blow the air into the atmosphere due to the lower volume of air generated. Could someone explain that to me?
Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow!

Nice Engrish there!

WHy doesn't he just but a BOV on there and have it leak early?
Old 09-10-2003, 10:19 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

why didn't I think of that Ian? good one!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:18 AM
Jer

If my rough guess is correct, if he goes to a 3.8" pulley on an M62, he SHOULD see about 5psi. Close enough to 4...

A smarter job would be to do an L67 swap w/attached Eaton M90 - it's been done by a few folks here in Toronto.. the additional cost in parts wouldn't outdo the expenses he's going to see now..
Old 09-11-2003, 08:32 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Thanks Jer! I'll pass your info on!