Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

A more useable turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 05:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
If you've ever been in a boosted 5th gen you would see the torque steer isn't nearly as bad in those cars. Almost no torque steer if the tires pressure is just right. Unequal length drive axles OWnZ tEh 4th gens.

5th gens have equal length drive axles? Now that you mention it, I don't remember my wife's 5th gen having much, if any, torque steer at all. Of course, it's completely stock, probably about 100hp less than my 95.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:35 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

If you've ever been in a boosted 5th gen you would see the torque steer isn't nearly as bad in those cars. Almost no torque steer if the tires pressure is just right. Unequal length drive axles OWnZ tEh 4th gens.

Um, not quite.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:14 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
5th gens have equal length drive axles?
How in the world could they? The tranny (differential) can't be anywhere near the middle of the car.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:30 AM

Hmm... now that I think about it, that's pretty much impossible that the drive axles could be even on each side. Then how would you explain the lack of much torque steer?? I don't know how Nissan pulled it off but my brother's supercharged 2K1 doesn't pull to one side at all, even when he's spinning out. FYI, he has no LSD.

Edit: Not quite what Mr. Moderator?? I hope you're not talking about the small amount of torque steer because that's a fact. If your talking about the axle business, I corrected myself.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:42 AM

Hmm... now that I think about it, that's pretty much impossible that the drive axles could be even on each side. Then how would you explain the lack of much torque steer?? I don't know how Nissan pulled it off but my brother's supercharged 2K1 doesn't pull to one side at all, even when he's spinning out. FYI, he has no LSD.

Edit: Not quite what Mr. Moderator?? I hope you're not talking about the small amount of torque steer because that's a fact. If your talking about the axle business, I corrected myself.
Torque steer is caused by a difference in torsional stiffness between the two axles. Torsional stiffness is inversely proportional to shaft length and proportional to the square of the shaft diameter. So a long shaft can be made to have equal torsional stiffness to a short shaft by making it a larger diameter. Maybe that's what Nissan did.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:02 AM

this may sound funny, but drag radials do not help me in any way. I don't remember what brand or whatever i had used, but I was able to pull 2.2 or 2.1 60's , which is same or worse than I pull on my stock tires. I was thoroughly not impressed.

jeff I think jason should try a new tire/wheel combo bc sounds like you have some nasty traction issues.

I don't really struggle too bad with traction - I mean it could always be better, but I am on all-season 400treadwear rated tires and they hook pretty darn well! as mentioned, in first gear if im going from low rpm and floor it, it wont even break traction.

Also, torque steer practically does not exist on my car, and as of a couple weeks ago I am back to a non-LSD tranny, and still no problems. I was able to pull 2.1 60' on 4 of 4 passes at the track (would have pulled 2.0's everytime except I didnt want to slip+tear my clutch anymore)
Old 09-17-2003, 08:36 AM

So you don't like your kit then?

This discussion has happened many times. Because of the torque the VQ engines produce low in the rpm range even without boost, traction can be a problem. Once you hit boost ... goodbye traction! If you are breaking tires loose in third raw power has something to do with it, the other is if you have an open diff. The LSD I put on mine made a huge difference! No more torque steer and no more peg-leg burnouts!

Back to the original question though, I must agree with several others that the T3 spools quick and you feel fast whereas a T4 takes time to spool but makes bigger power. Maybe we should have a poll of how many people have T3s and how many have T4s, Granted there are so many trims, A/Rs, Ball bearing etc but it might be interesting!

Originally Posted by Ramius83
To me, a larger turbo is more feasible because you will not have any traction in the lower gears with a quicker spooling turbo. At this moment, even with the T4 ball-bearing, in 1st, 2nd, and some of third, I have NO TRACTION whatsoever.

So in my opinion, the larger turbo gives you time to get going before the boost fully kicks in, and when it does, watch out lol. A smaller turbo does reach full boost faster (in most cases), but I need the traction to at least get moving....
Old 09-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Ramius83

Originally Posted by turbo97SE
So you don't like your kit then?

This discussion has happened many times. Because of the torque the VQ engines produce low in the rpm range even without boost, traction can be a problem. Once you hit boost ... goodbye traction! If you are breaking tires loose in third raw power has something to do with it, the other is if you have an open diff. The LSD I put on mine made a huge difference! No more torque steer and no more peg-leg burnouts!

Back to the original question though, I must agree with several others that the T3 spools quick and you feel fast whereas a T4 takes time to spool but makes bigger power. Maybe we should have a poll of how many people have T3s and how many have T4s, Granted there are so many trims, A/Rs, Ball bearing etc but it might be interesting!
Oh, I love my kit Nigel, and again, I THANK you to the highest degree. But, I do have a LSD differential in my "regular tranny". I have the Innovative Performance Diff from Shadow. Fully Clutch based with 800lb springs I think is the correct nature of the beast, true 50/50 with no zero effect. Full race warranty. So, even with the LSD diff, I am still breaking loose in 3rd.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:27 AM

And you are still breaking traction in third? Dayyyyymn! how much boost R U runnin'? My boost controller is acting up again so I can't get past 9 psi but it is still fun!

Originally Posted by Ramius83
Oh, I love my kit Nigel, and again, I THANK you to the highest degree. But, I do have a LSD differential in my "regular tranny". I have the Innovative Performance Diff from Shadow. Fully Clutch based with 800lb springs I think is the correct nature of the beast, true 50/50 with no zero effect. Full race warranty. So, even with the LSD diff, I am still breaking loose in 3rd.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

5th gens have equal length drive axles? Now that you mention it, I don't remember my wife's 5th gen having much, if any, torque steer at all. Of course, it's completely stock, probably about 100hp less than my 95.
Is hers an auto? Because in my stock 5spd, I get TONS of torque steer.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by hlh0501
this may sound funny, but drag radials do not help me in any way. I don't remember what brand or whatever i had used, but I was able to pull 2.2 or 2.1 60's , which is same or worse than I pull on my stock tires. I was thoroughly not impressed.

jeff I think jason should try a new tire/wheel combo bc sounds like you have some nasty traction issues.

I don't really struggle too bad with traction - I mean it could always be better, but I am on all-season 400treadwear rated tires and they hook pretty darn well! as mentioned, in first gear if im going from low rpm and floor it, it wont even break traction.

Also, torque steer practically does not exist on my car, and as of a couple weeks ago I am back to a non-LSD tranny, and still no problems. I was able to pull 2.1 60' on 4 of 4 passes at the track (would have pulled 2.0's everytime except I didnt want to slip+tear my clutch anymore)
Hal,

How heavy are your rims? They look HEAVY, if so, that may be why others with light rims are having traction issues and you're not.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Is hers an auto? Because in my stock 5spd, I get TONS of torque steer.
Yes, it's auto. When we first got it, I thought the car was really fast because I was comparing it to the Suburban we traded for it. Now I think it's really slow.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:25 AM

Yes, it's auto. When we first got it, I thought the car was really fast because I was comparing it to the Suburban we traded for it. Now I think it's really slow.
5spd is MUCH much worse.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by slammed95
I think Hal went back to using sawblades or 300zx wheels.
yes, I am referring to my stock sawblades.
and I had even worse traction on my heavy 18's w/ 245's...

that is why I suggested trying a different combo traction can be controlled.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:35 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Harold, check your pm's
Old 09-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by hlh0501
- the holding back factor I would say is the length of pipe run to the turbo. By locating the turbo even closer to the manifolds you dont have that "pressure chamber" or whatever effect that piping is giving... But I wouldn't see any reason for going smaller than t3/t4, considering I read positive pressure at the intake manifold at 2000rpm..
That never occured to me. I completely forgot about all the extra piping that sits between the manifolds and turbo. Trying to reduce all lag would be futile unless you were able to do a twin turbo setup like the 300ZX. Thanks for pointing that out.

Dave