Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Advise on SC or Turbo set up for Road course application

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 07:58 PM

Advise on SC or Turbo set up for Road course application

I've read a lot of threads about the SC and Turbos but still can't decide which one to get. I have three main concerns which will probably decide which way I go. I'm don't think these have been answered in the other threads (at least not 1 and 2)

1. I do quite a few track events (road course). Which one would be more reliable on the road course. I don't want anything breaking on the track

2. I'd like to be in the high 12s or low 13 quarter mile time. I've read a lot of time slips and it seems like most V2 guys are in high 13s, but i may be wrong. I'd like to keep up with the hondas with motor swaps, EVOs and STI by making it up on the straights (is this realistic???)

3. Cost!!! My budget is $4000 (including installation). If I go SC, i'd get a used SC and if I can do it in 3Gs that would be great.

I talked to my boost guy and he said it would cost me around 6Gs to do a custom turbo kit. He said that SC is more suited and more reliable for the track and I will always be in the right powerband. But then I should be in the powerband with a turbo too...

If I go the FI route, it won't be till next spring. Otherwise i'll save my money and put it towards a down payment for a 350Z TT IF it comes out in 05 or 06.

Let me know ur opinions as my decision is going to be based on what the FI gurus say. Also, when replying please let me know how much boost i can saftely run at the track.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 08:29 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

1. The s/c has been around MUCH longer and is a much more basic setup then an intercooled turbo. It is very straight forward. IMO a s/c is more reliable, as it seems turbos are money pits for some folks, and can get really expensive. That's not to say a well designed turbo ran at a sane amount of boost won't be reliable...

2. To get into the 12's with the s/c, you are going to need 10psi and slicks, or 12+psi with about as good traction. Turbos are easier to get better times because the power delivery is built before redline with more torque.

3. Well, this pretty much sets you. You won't be able to do a reliable turbo setup for $4000. Your only option is an s/c. You can get a used S/c with a bunch of goodies for ~$2500.

Your boost guy is probably not thinking of a centrifugel vortech blower. It delivers a very linear power curve, so your never really in the power band so to speak. With a turbo, say at 3k rpm, you will probably be almost fully spooled, with significantly more power to work with. Centrifugel blowers such as the Vortech are dependant on engine rpm to build power, turbos and roots/twin screw s/cs are not.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Handsome

Hmm, I would think that you could get an OK SC setup for 3,000
Old 10-16-2003, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Craig Mack
1. The s/c has been around MUCH longer and is a much more basic setup then an intercooled turbo. It is very straight forward. IMO a s/c is more reliable, as it seems turbos are money pits for some folks, and can get really expensive. That's not to say a well designed turbo ran at a sane amount of boost won't be reliable...

2. To get into the 12's with the s/c, you are going to need 10psi and slicks, or 12+psi with about as good traction. Turbos are easier to get better times because the power delivery is built before redline with more torque.

3. Well, this pretty much sets you. You won't be able to do a reliable turbo setup for $4000. Your only option is an s/c. You can get a used S/c with a bunch of goodies for ~$2500.

Your boost guy is probably not thinking of a centrifugel vortech blower. It delivers a very linear power curve, so your never really in the power band so to speak. With a turbo, say at 3k rpm, you will probably be almost fully spooled, with significantly more power to work with. Centrifugel blowers such as the Vortech are dependant on engine rpm to build power, turbos and roots/twin screw s/cs are not.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to see how ur Roots set up works out and if SSR ever comes out with a turbo kit for us 5th gens as I still have some time before i play around with FI. Thanks again