Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

10 psi+ SC ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 11:45 AM

10 psi+ SC ?

I'm HOPING to be SC'd before summer. I would like the V2 setup and have just a few ?'s. From reading the Stillen site, boost does not start until 3500 rpm, so there is big lag. If I swapped pulleys, which is what I would do, to a 3.12", or at least 3.33", what kind of boost should I expect. Also, what rpm range does boost begin at with each? Can anyone help? I would also replace the flywheel with a light weight for faster spool up. Would this also get the magic 300whp?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The flywheel will not help with spool-up in the same way it will help a turbo...How much boost you see and and how early you see it is solely dependant on engine RPM and pulley size... The flywheel will however reduce rotational inertia...Maybe you should read on how superchargers workwww.howstuffworks.com
Old 11-09-2003, 02:00 PM

I understand the basics of how a supercharger works, and understand all the defferences between it and a turbocharger. A light weight flywheel will help out with the spool up. With a lighter flywheel reducing rotational inertia, the engine will rev quicker and put me into boost quicker. My biggest ? is when does that boost begin with a smaller pulley? From my readings on here, it seems that people with the regualr pully size don't always get the performance they want because the boost does not start until 3500 rpm.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:04 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Boost "starts" earlier as the pulley size decreases... Since the Vortech is centrifugal (and directly connected to the crank) it really doesn't "really" kick in until the upper RPMS... It will never be like a turbo where you can have full boost by 3000 rpm...
Old 11-09-2003, 02:38 PM

You will not get full boost at low RPMs but you will at redline.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The lighter flywheel definitely helps every bit. Don't believe the hype. I had a SCer and believe my car was only faster with the flywheel. Before the flywheel I was running 13.8's @ 104MPH 2.360s. After flywheel installation I was running constant 13.6's @ 106.89 2.3 60ft. You do the math. Yes this was @ 10PSI and a somewhat loose belt. Youll hit like 2PSI when you hit the gas with the supercharger. Thats courtesy of the Fidenza flywheel. That is my true favorite mod.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:49 PM

Cool to see the flywheel shave 2 tenths. I guess what I meant to ask is at what RPM do you see boost with a 3.12" and 3.33". Full boost will be upper RPM's, but with the stock stillen pulley, boost starts at 3500 RPM and I was just curious as to what RPM's it starts at with the smaller pulleys. Also, does the torque on the Max knock you good in the seat? My friends '03 Cobra seems to build boost right away and just glues you to the back. I just wish I had the cash to do this all now, but I want to do it right, so I have to hold off.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally Posted by JAY25
The lighter flywheel definitely helps every bit. Don't believe the hype. I had a SCer and believe my car was only faster with the flywheel. Before the flywheel I was running 13.8's @ 104MPH 2.360s. After flywheel installation I was running constant 13.6's @ 106.89 2.3 60ft. You do the math. Yes this was @ 10PSI and a somewhat loose belt. Youll hit like 2PSI when you hit the gas with the supercharger. Thats courtesy of the Fidenza flywheel. That is my true favorite mod.
Did you have any problems running 10psi? I know that people who run turbo setups avg around 9-10 psi's, will oyou be able to run more boost with a SC then a turbo?