Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Made leaps of progress today

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 06:42 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Made leaps of progress today

Well after a disappointing friday sunday ROCKED

I got the correct bolts for the flywheel...

I got the clutch, tranny, axles, shocks, reverse y-pipe, and a few other minor things on.

I should be done by saturday, next day I am working on it.

Here is a pic of the AUTO flywheel bolt compared to the bolt I put in. BTW the AUTO flywheel bolts only make it about 4-5 threads into the crank. These bolts make it about 8-10 threads
Old 11-30-2003, 06:43 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

And here are all the bolts and washers installed on the flywheel
Old 11-30-2003, 06:44 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

here is the reverse y installed
Old 11-30-2003, 06:47 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

And so I am almost done....I also forgot I bleed the clutch as well.

HUGE amount of thanks goes out to dixit, bijan, jay25, ramius83, mo diddy, adam ( the garage where my car is ), and quicksilver.

Without there help I would not be as close to being done as I am.

Orgers took care of me.. and my work buddy
Old 11-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lookin good

i bet your relieved you got that like issue resolved with out to much expence
Old 11-30-2003, 06:57 PM
UCF Lexus

holy hot damn, i'm so friggin sorry bro......I totally forgot about today.

Well, I can try to be there saturday - I wana be there when it starts.

My bad - I'm an idiot
Old 11-30-2003, 07:04 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by subs1000w
lookin good

i bet your relieved you got that like issue resolved with out to much expence

Man you have no idea..lol

EJJ made me feel better about it. By posting all of his info. And it is really just a matter of having the right tools.

RIGHT Jay?

And bijan it's cool. I go tthe tranny on myself in about 30 minutes.. NO BS. I did more today solo than was ever done..lol

Yeah I wanna be there when it starts too.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:47 PM

holy crap i could never see getting the tranny in by myself somtimes my friend and i have trouble installing in together. ofcourse we dont have a real tranny jack but if we did i could see the posibilty of only needing one person
Old 11-30-2003, 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=bags533]Man you have no idea..lol

EJJ made me feel better about it. By posting all of his info. And it is really just a matter of having the right tools.

RIGHT Jay?

[QUOTE]

Hells yeah. I pulled my **** out in less then half day. The night prior I pulled all the harnesses.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:08 PM

Kirk, where you get the bolts from? cause im going to order the manual bolts from the dealer tommorow since you told me that you could only get a few of them.

Another thing I was thinking about that i dont know if Justin said anything about was arnt the standard bolts you got from HomeDepot or other palces different from the stock ones? Almost seems like the stock manual flywheel bolts are either hardened or forged in some sense. They dont seem like standard zinc plated bolts.

My only concern is that if they are not as strong, whats the chances that Im going to snap off all 8 say when Im running 450ft lbs or torque?

Dixit
Old 11-30-2003, 09:48 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by subs1000w
holy crap i could never see getting the tranny in by myself somtimes my friend and i have trouble installing in together. ofcourse we dont have a real tranny jack but if we did i could see the posibilty of only needing one person

I had a no **** real tranny jack.

It was so easy. BUT A week earlier jay25 and me and 2 other people could not get it on to save our lifes. Go figure
Old 11-30-2003, 09:51 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Kirk, where you get the bolts from? cause im going to order the manual bolts from the dealer tommorow since you told me that you could only get a few of them.

Another thing I was thinking about that i dont know if Justin said anything about was arnt the standard bolts you got from HomeDepot or other palces different from the stock ones? Almost seems like the stock manual flywheel bolts are either hardened or forged in some sense. They dont seem like standard zinc plated bolts.

My only concern is that if they are not as strong, whats the chances that Im going to snap off all 8 say when Im running 450ft lbs or torque?

Dixit
The bolts came from NAPA. They had plenty of them till I got there. But they can order them and have them in 24 hrs.

They look EXACLTY like the stock bolts minus the built in washer.

Funny you should mention the hardness. You know how ALL of the bolts on the car have a number on them. The ones on the flywheel do NOT.

So talking to justin he thinks almost any automotive bolt should do.

They are not junk. They have a good bit of weight to them. I have an extra 2 or so at my car.

let me know if you want ot look at them
Old 11-30-2003, 09:57 PM

Man good thing I found this now as well. Man me and you and jaime, we finding out so many things and catching so many things for each other. Guess I will have to remove the pressure plate and clutch and get the new bolts on. Better than safe than sorry. Yes its a setback, but nothing like having a flywheel/crank shatter the bolts.

I gotta order those bolts tommorow if they dont have them. What size did you get, length wise, I know they are 10mm and 1.0 pitch. but did you get 30mm length?

Dixit
Old 11-30-2003, 09:59 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Dixit, I couldn't compare the steel type/hardness between the stock and NAPA ones. As Kirk mentioned, the stock bolts don't have any info on their bolt face like almost every other bolt does. They appear to be every bit as hard as the stock ones (my only real judgement was from playing with the tap and die set and fixing the thread on both stock and NAPA bolts).
Old 11-30-2003, 10:01 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Man good thing I found this now as well. Man me and you and jaime, we finding out so many things and catching so many things for each other. Guess I will have to remove the pressure plate and clutch and get the new bolts on. Better than safe than sorry. Yes its a setback, but nothing like having a flywheel/crank shatter the bolts.

I gotta order those bolts tommorow if they dont have them. What size did you get, length wise, I know they are 10mm and 1.0 pitch. but did you get 30mm length?

Dixit

Your right..

GREAT question.

I "think" about 1 1/2 inch.. 30 MM sounds right.

Just take your stock bolts to NAPA, if that's where you go, it's the next size up

2 sizes up bottoms out in the crank

And if you strip the hole in the crank I have a TAP.

If you ruin a bolt and can't get a replacement I have a DYE
Old 11-30-2003, 10:08 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Dixit

Shearing flywheel bolts/dowel pins is one of the scariest things in the entire world...I should know. And you guys have a hell of a lot more TQ on those bolts compared to what totally ate mine (over 50% more than what my VW engine was producing at the time).

The ones we settled on were not the 30mm length ones. They bottomed out . The 10 mm diameter by 1.0 pitch by 25 mm length are the ones you want...and go ahead and get an adjustabe tap handle wrench (made by Hanson tools) and plug style metric tap (10mm x 1.0mm). The Hanson part #'s are as follows:

Adj. Handle Tap Wrench = 12088
Metric Tap = 8338

It'll cost you like $26, and I swear you can only find these things at Ace Hardware. Now Kirk and I know why they use the phrase "Ace is the place" !
Old 11-30-2003, 10:10 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
It'll cost you like $26, and I swear you can only find these things at Ace Hardware. Now Kirk and I know why they use the phrase "Ace is the place" !

and good on you for the part numbers
Old 11-30-2003, 10:14 PM

Justin, why would I need a tap set if none of my holes are stripped? I just need longer bolts to make sure I get sufficient coverage for the bolts/flywheel.

I think I might get both the 25mm and 30mm ones because Im thinking if the 30mm bottom out, with a flat washer and the original ring that goes on the auto flywheel. I think we are supposed to use that ring that goes on the center of the flywheel.

If you dont know what im talking about, the pic http://www.turbofedmax.com/fullpics/...toremoved5.jpg here shows the center ring im about about. Its the one that all the bolts sit on top of instead of the flywheel.

What you think?

Dixit
Old 11-30-2003, 10:20 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

With the longer bolts, it was very difficult to get them into the crank (Kirk's had a lot of rust/crud inside each hole). We cleaned them all out, and everything was good. I guess you really don't need one as both Kirk and I have one now, and you can borrow ours

As for the ring, the FSM Kirk had showed both the auto and manual setup. The manual tranny setup does not have that installed; the auto does. I can only infer from what I saw in the FSM...manual tranny does not need it. Kirk was running without it when he fragged his piston, right (Kirk?) ?
Old 11-30-2003, 10:29 PM

Justin you are 100% right, i just checked the parts CD and the diagram doesnt show that small plate for the bolts that go on the auto flywheel assembly.

Guess I just gotta find me the 25mm long bolts tommorow and see if I can get this car done by wed.

Dixit
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

With the longer bolts, it was very difficult to get them into the crank (Kirk's had a lot of rust/crud inside each hole). We cleaned them all out, and everything was good. I guess you really don't need one as both Kirk and I have one now, and you can borrow ours

As for the ring, the FSM Kirk had showed both the auto and manual setup. The manual tranny setup does not have that installed; the auto does. I can only infer from what I saw in the FSM...manual tranny does not need it. Kirk was running without it when he fragged his piston, right (Kirk?) ?

Yeah I did not have that ring installed.

And just as justin said and dixit found out, in the FSM a 5-spd does not use that ring

dixit, if you get stock 5-spd flywheel bolts can you post a pic compared to the auto ones.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2003, 10:11 AM

Justin and Kirk, you may want to think about those bolts again. I was told by Regal they were hardened, then I was told by DaveB that they are definetely hardened to handle the load.

I mean the last thing I would want is for us to snap all 8 during a high sprinted run. If they are hardened then technically attempted to cut it with a hacksaw will result in a dull blade quick. If not, then i guess bolt of these people are wrong and we should be alright. But they quotes me $8 some here at Regal and DaveB quoted $4 something a piece for them.

Any thoughts?

Dixit
Old 12-01-2003, 10:43 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Justin and Kirk, you may want to think about those bolts again. I was told by Regal they were hardened, then I was told by DaveB that they are definetely hardened to handle the load.

I mean the last thing I would want is for us to snap all 8 during a high sprinted run. If they are hardened then technically attempted to cut it with a hacksaw will result in a dull blade quick. If not, then i guess bolt of these people are wrong and we should be alright. But they quotes me $8 some here at Regal and DaveB quoted $4 something a piece for them.

Any thoughts?

Dixit

I was/am a little worried about this, but I very rarely trust the dealer b/c of all the BS I have been fed over the years. I mean, how can a parts salesmen really know if the bolts we have in there will hold up or not? We need to talk to a Nissan engineer. That's the only way to be sure. Or I guess we need to see if NAPA has hardened bolts for just such a purpose...

I know DAVEB is a good guy, but is he 100% without a doubt sure? To me, the dealer's word doesn't mean jack ****, but Dave Burnette...I trust him. Damn it...I'm sure Kirk would love to tear that bad boy back apart again...for like the 4th time...
Old 12-01-2003, 12:08 PM

Well Im not sure what to do, im cant really wait the extra week for the bolts to arrive. Thats a pain in the azz. I need to get my car running by Friday.

Im thinking of just sticking in those bolts and taking my chances. The way I look at it is that iron/steel is technically stronger than the alloy flywheel. So I think damage would happen on that first before the bolts. I guess also what Im thinking is if I sheer them, worst case i sheered them all, extract the bolts, and put in the correct ones.

Dont know if Im thinking the right or wrong way at this point. And im with you on this as well Justin, dont know how the dealer can tell, only way to tell for sure is to try to cut the bolt or I can use my standard chisel and see if it bends the metal on the chisel or does it dent the bolt.

Dixit
Old 12-01-2003, 12:32 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Well, I am not worried.

Maybe because I am to stupid to be worried..lol

My ride to work fell through, so my car "may" be on the road tonight if I don't get to work. I'll know what I am doing in about an hr.

Seriously on the bolt issue, justin, remember what happened to the homedepot bolt I put in the crank?

And remember what happened to the longest NAPA bolts I put in there?

Are they hardened? I don't know. The guy at NAPA knew what they were going into. I hate to say this, but he seems like a knowledgeable guy from my dealings with him in the past, so if they were not up to par I don't think he would have sold them to me.

And I may just find out.

I can tell you this much, those bolts "feel" beefier than the stock bolts. But, I could be wrong on that.

And while Dave may be correct, maybe the NAPA bolts are hardened as well. I'll let yall know as soon as I do.

There will be little to no boost on the motor for ~500 miles. After an oil change I will slowly get on it. So I will find out.

I also have some spare bolts from NAPA, the stock bolts, and a dremel tool. So we can "test" each one at a laterdate to see what is what
Old 12-01-2003, 12:40 PM

Im going to test the stock auto flywheel bolt against the maroon colored napa bolts I got, if my chisel test yield the same results, then F#$k it, they going in.

Dixit
Old 12-01-2003, 12:58 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Im going to test the stock auto flywheel bolt against the maroon colored napa bolts I got, if my chisel test yield the same results, then F#$k it, they going in.

Dixit

just got of the phone, I am not going to work, I am going ot work on the car.

got off the phone with NAPA and they said the bolts are an 8.8 . Then turned around and said that that equates to a "standard" 5.

So got me.

I got some tools at the car and both bolts.

I will iform yall of the "bags" test.

and just for more results there will be an "adam", "****", "concreate", "brick", and any other object I can throw the bolt at.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:10 PM

Yea the hell if I know what that standard 5 or 8.8 means. All I want to know is will it hold 400ftlb of torque?

Dixit
Old 12-01-2003, 01:13 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Yea the hell if I know what that standard 5 or 8.8 means. All I want to know is will it hold 400ftlb of torque?

Dixit

The NAPA ones are way stronger than the Home Depot ones, but who knows is the NAPA ones are as strong or stronger than the stock bolts ?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:13 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Dixit

you mean 500 right

No matter what, I am NOT pulling the tranny BACK off. If the bolts are soft, I just have to drive like an old lady. I need to do that anyway.

I will look at changing the bolts come january or so.

I don't have your number on my cell..

call me later like around 8 or so
Old 12-01-2003, 01:24 PM

678 457 5260
Also just found out that the bolt being an 8.8 hardness is MORE than fine. SR20den told me the nissan standard is 9. So I dont think we are going to break them anytime soon. The reason why they are colored maroon is because the 8.8 hardness.

I talked Matt and he said he has never broken an 8.8 hardness.

Dixit
Old 12-01-2003, 01:58 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Well, here's some info on this very interesting subject...

Boring stuff, but it's still important to know/read...

http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/hardness/brinell.htm
Old 12-01-2003, 03:20 PM

Man totally foreign to me. Except the Diamond hardness joint.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
UCF Lexus

yall just talk on AIM.....
Old 12-02-2003, 12:50 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

678 457 5260
Also just found out that the bolt being an 8.8 hardness is MORE than fine. SR20den told me the nissan standard is 9. So I dont think we are going to break them anytime soon. The reason why they are colored maroon is because the 8.8 hardness.

I talked Matt and he said he has never broken an 8.8 hardness.

Dixit
Well the "bags" test showed the same results....

I took a 1lb claw hammer to both bolts for about 2 minutes while they sat on the concrete.

Neither bolt was bent, some of the threads flattened out. Some of the threads had concrete stuck in them. I even knocked a large chucnk of concrete off the driveway.

I feel good about the NAPA bolts.

Justin I'll give that a read later while I am in the "throne room" at work.

BTW the car runs..........

barely. Should BE DONE SATURDAY
Old 12-02-2003, 02:37 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by bags533
Well the "bags" test showed the same results....

I took a 1lb claw hammer to both bolts for about 2 minutes while they sat on the concrete.

Neither bolt was bent, some of the threads flattened out. Some of the threads had concrete stuck in them. I even knocked a large chucnk of concrete off the driveway.

I feel good about the NAPA bolts.

Justin I'll give that a read later while I am in the "throne room" at work.

BTW the car runs..........

barely. Should BE DONE SATURDAY
Is that b/c you're only running on 3 or 4 plugs ?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:37 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Is that b/c you're only running on 3 or 4 plugs ?

NO.. and who installed the coil packs????

I put in the same 6 plugs from my old motor. I could not find 6 new 1 step colder plugs.

Cleaned them off with brake cleaner and slapped them in.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:51 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by bags533
NO.. and who installed the coil packs????

I put in the same 6 plugs from my old motor. I could not find 6 new 1 step colder plugs.

Cleaned them off with brake cleaner and slapped them in.

What's wrong with the packs? I can't honestly recall who did the install (Dixit, Bijan, or myself...or all of us...)
Old 12-02-2003, 06:20 PM
UCF Lexus

Yea, whats wrong w/ them? I took them off the broke motor......duno who put them in the new one.

But, I guess you get more sh*t done when I'm not there making dumb statements and asking questions.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:59 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

What's wrong with the packs? I can't honestly recall who did the install (Dixit, Bijan, or myself...or all of us...)

Nothing..lol... making a point of whoever put them on did not check to see if there were spark plugs installed.

And bijan, when was the last time you heard me make a dumb statement?

that answer should be the last time you saw me. And everyone asks"dumb" questions.

Ask jay, the only dumb question is the one not asked. How are y0u gonna learn if y0u don't ask?

Don't take what I said out of context.

And as a mater of fact, I got more done by myself than wiht anyone.

And you forgot rule #1

Quick Reply: Made leaps of progress today