Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

HomeMade Turbo ....an option

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 09:40 PM

HomeMade Turbo ....an option

I know everyone has probably thought htat it would be a cheaper alternative to buying a turbo kit. Yeha i thought it too but i havea bunch of friends with DSM turbo parts laying around evrywhere and i feel like some of this stuf is adaptable mainly turbo intercooler etc.. obviously the exhaust steup iis totally different but i am asking is it possible to make a relatively cheap turbo kit for the max using turbos and parts from other cars and custom things im assuming. I know this can be done on other cars ie; civics but i feel like ther might be a way to adapt to our cars. absolutely any inof on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM

It's not going to happen really.'

Honda guys get away with cheap HMT turbos for many reasons.

1.) They can adapt factory exhaust manifolds to work with turbos.
Hell, Prelude guys can use a slightly modified DSM factory manifold on their cars.

2.) Hondas can run small turbos say ones off of Eclipses, old SVO fords, Merkurs, etc.

3.) Eclipse IC's, Saab IC's, and so on are all adequatly sized and so on.

On a Maxima, you can't use an Eclipse turbo or any of the turbos mentioned above. They're all too small. Just about any turbo off of an OEM car is too small for a Maxima. And larger turbos tend to get more expensive.

You can't modify the factory manifolds to mount a turbo on. You have to build a merge setup which isn't that cheap, it involves mandrel bends and welding.

I really wouldn't recommend using a small Eclipse IC or anything of that sort, it's not going to be big enough for our application and will restrict flow.

Just about the only thing you can use from your friends DSM's is maybe their factory BOV's which would save you a whopping $100 or so.

Hondas get away with HMT setups because they are inline 4 cylinders and many OEM turbo cars were inline 4 cylinders, stuff is a little more compatible when engines are similar displacent, layout and such.

Originally Posted by neptunemax
I know everyone has probably thought htat it would be a cheaper alternative to buying a turbo kit. Yeha i thought it too but i havea bunch of friends with DSM turbo parts laying around evrywhere and i feel like some of this stuf is adaptable mainly turbo intercooler etc.. obviously the exhaust steup iis totally different but i am asking is it possible to make a relatively cheap turbo kit for the max using turbos and parts from other cars and custom things im assuming. I know this can be done on other cars ie; civics but i feel like ther might be a way to adapt to our cars. absolutely any inof on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:56 PM

thanks very much that was very informative
Old 02-18-2004, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you could use 2 of there turbos and 2 of there intercoolers but good luck fitting all that under your hood and the piping mess youd have to deal with but if you get all the stuff for free you could do it really cheap
Old 02-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Holy **** that was a good response~! Thanks~!

Shadow

Originally Posted by Shadow

Hell, Prelude guys can use a slightly modified DSM factory manifold on their cars.

2.) Hondas can run small turbos say ones off of Eclipses, old SVO fords, Merkurs, etc.

On a Maxima, you can't use an Eclipse turbo or any of the turbos mentioned above. They're all too small. Just about any turbo off of an OEM car is too small for a Maxima. And larger turbos tend to get more expensive.

You can't modify the factory manifolds to mount a turbo on. You have to build a merge setup which isn't that cheap, it involves mandrel bends and welding.

I really wouldn't recommend using a small Eclipse IC or anything of that sort, it's not going to be big enough for our application and will restrict flow.

Just about the only thing you can use from your friends DSM's is maybe their factory BOV's which would save you a whopping $100 or so.

Hondas get away with HMT setups because they are inline 4 cylinders and many OEM turbo cars were inline 4 cylinders, stuff is a little more compatible when engines are similar displacent, layout and such.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=IceY2K1]Holy **** that was a good response~! Thanks~!

Old 02-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Homemade turbo ownz!! My kit is sponsored by Ebay and DSMtrader

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=354069&page=3
Old 02-23-2004, 12:03 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by Shadow

what about twin Eclipse turbo's?

less lag?

or still a no go?

I would imagine it would be tight, so maybe you'd need a hood bulge...ala WS6!

-vq

Old 02-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

what would be the point? probably won't make anymore power than an average single turbo setup...waste of time IMO
Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yup the only reason to do it would be if you could get the turbos really cheap and did all the work your self because thats alot of plumbing work