Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

GSS342 Walbro in-tank fuel pump works for VQ35s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

GSS342 Walbro in-tank fuel pump works for VQ35s?

Anybody confirm/deny?

350z guys say Power Enterprise fuel pump for the 350z is just a repackaged Walbro GSS342.

Anybody try this on a VQ35 Max?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Anybody confirm/deny?

350z guys say Power Enterprise fuel pump for the 350z is just a repackaged Walbro GSS342.

Anybody try this on a VQ35 Max?

Thanks.
I am trying to run the inline version of that fuel pump (GSL394) right now, but the GSS342 in-tank might also work. The problem is with the fuel pressure being too high with the full 12v supply and no return fuel line. I am going to try the fuel setup shown on hals website, but I don't know if it will work because I think the fuel pressure will still saturate all the lines and the fuel pressure will still be too high. If this is the case I am going to add a return fuel line coming off the fpr, or just run an electronic fmu.

Check out this diagram: http://www.fastmaxima.com/images/dia...l%20system.jpg

This is what I am going to try, but don't you think the pressure from the walbro will still be way higher than 52 psi?

BTW the stock fuel setup maintains a 13:1 A/F ratio at 5.8 psi (of boost) on the 3.5L.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 AM

Forgive me, but you've got boost? Turbo? I remember glancing at a thread of a VQ35 Maxima turbo'd, but don't remember who.

How do you know the GSS342 will work? Did you verify that it fits?

I'm not sure of the cost/hassle of adding a return line off the fpr back to the fuel tank, but that's an option. However, since the STOCK FPR is in the tank, I'm pretty sure with SR20DENs inline pump and additional regulator setup, it should work fine.

Otherwise, you could run an inline pump and either an EFMU like the Aeromotive billet DFMU or cheaper/simpler to tune MSD #2350 Fuel Pump Voltage Booster. There is also the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, but I haven't really looked at it.

Now, I've seen the MSD inline pump for around $100 and the fuel pump voltage booster for around $230 just doing a quick search on google. In my April 2004 Turbo&High-Tech Performance mag they tested this setup with a MSD #2225 inline pump and MSD #2350 fuel pump voltage booster. At 13.5Volts, the inline pump provided enough fuel volume for 500bhp up to about 55psi, however at 16.5Volts it provided way more then enough fuel until about 90-95psi. The fuel pump booster will raise the output voltage in proportion to the manifold boost pressure up to 22Volts.

SR20DENs setup should be cheaper, so I'd try that first.

Originally Posted by pimpjuice
I am trying to run the inline version of that fuel pump (GSL394) right now, but the GSS342 in-tank will work also. The problem is with the fuel pressure being too high with the full 12v supply and no return fuel line. I am going to try the fuel setup shown on hals website, but I don't know if it will work because I think the fuel pressure will still saturate all the lines and the fuel pressure will still be too high. If this is the case I am going to add a return fuel line coming off the fpr, or just run an electronic fmu.

Check out this diagram: http://www.fastmaxima.com/images/dia...l%20system.jpg

This is what I am going to try, but don't you think the pressure from the walbro will still be way higher than 52 psi?

BTW the stock fuel setup maintains a 13:1 A/F ratio at 5.8 psi (of boost) on the 3.5L.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I'm the boosted 3.5L. I haven't tried the in-tank fuel pump, so I don't know if it fits, it was just an assumtion. I have everything I need to put the SR20DENs setup together except for a couple of fuel fittings. Once those come in I will try it out.

The problem is that the pressure gets way too high (at idle) with just the fuel pump and nothing else. Looking at the diagram it seems that the 52 psi fuel line will eventually reach the same pressure as the high pressure side. If this setup doesn't work a return fuel line will be a quick, inexpensive, alternative.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 AM

Yeah, I'm the boosted 3.5L. I haven't tried the in-tank fuel pump, so I don't know if it fits, it was just an assumtion. I have everything I need to put the SR20DENs setup together except for a couple of fuel fittings. Once those come in I will try it out.
What kit did you use or is it custom? Any dynos? What turbo specs do you have?

The problem is that the pressure gets way too high (at idle) with just the fuel pump and nothing else. Looking at the diagram it seems that the 52 psi fuel line will eventually reach the same pressure as the high pressure side. If this setup doesn't work a return fuel line will be a quick, inexpensive, alternative.

Thanks for the advice.
That's understandable, since the inline pump should *ONLY* be on when boosting, not at idle.

The idle/operating fuel pressure per the FSM is 51psi, which is regulated by the in-tank stock FPR. Now, if your aux pump is "Tee'd" off like SR20DENs diagram, the new FPR bleed off line will cause the STOCK FPR to back off, which means the stock pump won't need to work as hard. However, if there is a minimum limit that the stock in-tank FPR can not go below, then you could be seeing higher then expected fuel pressure.

Again, this should only be happening under boost, so I don't see that as too much of a concern as long as you can compensate by decreasing the aux pump output.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:36 PM

What kit did you use or is it custom? Any dynos? What turbo specs do you have?

That's understandable, since the inline pump should *ONLY* be on when boosting, not at idle.

The idle/operating fuel pressure per the FSM is 51psi, which is regulated by the in-tank stock FPR. Now, if your aux pump is "Tee'd" off like SR20DENs diagram, the new FPR bleed off line will cause the STOCK FPR to back off, which means the stock pump won't need to work as hard. However, if there is a minimum limit that the stock in-tank FPR can not go below, then you could be seeing higher then expected fuel pressure.

Again, this should only be happening under boost, so I don't see that as too much of a concern as long as you can compensate by decreasing the aux pump output.
Custom kit. I did a couple of dyno runs just to see what I was working from. I had the stock fuel setup running which kept me at a 13:1 ratio. My exhaust is finished now (full 3") but when I dynoed I had the stock cat-back which choked the turbo at 4K+ rpms. I also need to move my VI line to the vacuum side of the turbo because my VI kept fluttering. Dynos: http://www.total-x.net/modules.php?n...=article&sid=2

The 3 inch exhaust has made a huge difference. Now I need to finish the fuel setup and relocating the vacuum lines.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 PM

I wonder if the diagram is for all situations, idle or not. I say this because if it was meant for boost only, a FPR wouldn't be neccesary. The fuel pressure would just be controlled by the aux. fuel pump voltage. Just a thought.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:07 PM

The FPR is there so you can control/limit the pressure, otherwise you're right, fuel pressure would be dependent purely on the aux fuel pump output at XX Volts. Not real easy to tune, especially since the electrical load/capacity of the system is constantly fluxuating.

That's why I like the MSD voltage booster. I keeps a constant voltage to the pump, so spikes/dips don't affect it PLUS it ramps with boost. Should be simpler/easier to tune.

I wonder if the diagram is for all situations, idle or not. I say this because if it was meant for boost only, a FPR wouldn't be neccesary. The fuel pressure would just be controlled by the aux. fuel pump voltage. Just a thought.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:14 PM

Not bad. However, that's one hell of a CF. Uncorrected that's around 240whp, which is normal for a boosted VQ30@5-6psi, but you should be putting out more with the extra 0.5L displacement. Exhaust and tuning will fix that.

What turbo do you have?

Also, 13:1 is too lean.

Custom kit. I did a couple of dyno runs just to see what I was working from. I had the stock fuel setup running which kept me at a 13:1 ratio. My exhaust is finished now (full 3") but when I dynoed I had the stock cat-back which choked the turbo at 4K+ rpms. I also need to move my VI line to the vacuum side of the turbo because my VI kept fluttering. Dynos: http://www.total-x.net/modules.php?n...=article&sid=2

The 3 inch exhaust has made a huge difference. Now I need to finish the fuel setup and relocating the vacuum lines.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:31 PM

Not bad. However, that's one hell of a CF. Uncorrected that's around 240whp, which is normal for a boosted VQ30@5-6psi, but you should be putting out more with the extra 0.5L displacement. Exhaust and tuning will fix that.

What turbo do you have?

Tuning will definately help, along with the exhaust that was just put on. 13:1 is lean but not too bad, especially for a stock fuel setup. The VI problem is creating a big loss too. You can feel the car hesitating (or buck) at around 4K when the VI is trying to open (but can't). Did you also see the HP fall off at the end due to my 2.5 in catback exhaust WOW. I am going to mess around with the vacuum lines and re-dyno. I had more HP than I thought I would though, since I didn't do anything more than install the turbo. I just wanted a 'starting hp rating' to work from.

I am running a TO4E/60-1 HI-FI BB.

If CF means correction factor, then yes it is one hell of a CF. I live in Colorado.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:36 PM

Just looking around and came across this, CHECK IT OUT! http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=282615

It looks like a stock 2002 maxima runs at a 13:1 A/F ratio!!

Which means mine was running fine at 13:1
Old 02-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just looking around and came across this, CHECK IT OUT! http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=282615

13:1 N/A is completely different from 13:1 boosted...If I were you I'd get it down to at least 12.5:1
Old 02-23-2004, 09:03 AM

IwANnAMaX96 is correct.

You have detonation to contend with and withOUT timing retarded, you need excess fuel to cool the combustion process to prevent it.

I'd stay at or <12:1 on pump gas and stock CR, unless you have plans of building an engine soon.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I thought 13:1 was 13:1. Hopefully I can get it to 12:1 with the new fuel setup.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:03 PM

BTW, I heard back from a guy with a Walbro GSS342 in a 350z. He says it fits with some slight persuasion, similar to the rest of the 5th gens..

Also, he stated that it will bump fuel pressure to just over 4bar, but that didn't cause any issues at startup/idle even when cold.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:54 PM

BTW, I heard back from a guy with a Walbro GSS342 in a 350z. He says it fits with some slight persuasion, similar to the rest of the 5th gens..

Also, he stated that it will bump fuel pressure to just over 4bar, but that didn't cause any issues at startup/idle even when cold.
Thats great news! Do you think I should get rid of the inline pump and switch to the in-tank one?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:01 AM

That would eliminate the need to run a return line and FPR, but with out a DFMU(Aeromotive) or MSD Boost-a-pump, I don't think you should.

Thats great news! Do you think I should get rid of the inline pump and switch to the in-tank one?
Old 03-03-2004, 03:56 PM

That would eliminate the need to run a return line and FPR, but with out a DFMU(Aeromotive) or MSD Boost-a-pump, I don't think you should.
It does work!

The in-tank fuel pump is installed. My fuel pressure went up 4 psi. Now I need to get the DFMU.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:05 PM

Good luck with the DFMU. You might want to search www.my350z.com on it to find out what they did to tune it. Some members have some very useful websites.

I'd consider the MSD boost-a-pump too.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmm I am not familiar with the 350Z or 2002 Maximas BUT on returnless systems, the FPR is moved to the fuel pump assembly and there is only a dampener on the fuel rail. So if you put a higher flowing fuel pump in the tank, that would not raise your fuel pressure very much if any .... if that's what you're trying to do. Hmmm. I only have experience with the IS300 on the returnless stuff so it may be different on Maximas/350Z ... pls edumacate me!

For my car I had to raise the static pressure by modifying the stock FPR in the fuel pump assembly and replace the fuel pump wire to add the Walbro high flow pump.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:23 PM

You are correct, however with a DFMU by Aeromotive, Kenebell booster, or MSD voltage booster pump, you can rampup voltage to the in-tank or inline fuel pump to increase fuel pressure as needed.

Originally Posted by turbo97SE
Hmm I am not familiar with the 350Z or 2002 Maximas BUT on returnless systems, the FPR is moved to the fuel pump assembly and there is only a dampener on the fuel rail. So if you put a higher flowing fuel pump in the tank, that would not raise your fuel pressure very much if any .... if that's what you're trying to do. Hmmm. I only have experience with the IS300 on the returnless stuff so it may be different on Maximas/350Z ... pls edumacate me!

For my car I had to raise the static pressure by modifying the stock FPR in the fuel pump assembly and replace the fuel pump wire to add the Walbro high flow pump.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:04 PM

Any updates or progress on the DFMU or new dynos?

It does work!

The in-tank fuel pump is installed. My fuel pressure went up 4 psi. Now I need to get the DFMU.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:13 PM

Any updates or progress on the DFMU or new dynos?
Not yet, I'm going to have to wait a couple more weeks (although the DFMU should have been first on my list).

Things I have just recently bought and on the way: Used 3.5L engine, Greddy Profec E-01 and Apexi turbo timer.

The DFMU and NGK spark plugs will be next for sure, then the e-manage. I still need to re-route my VI vacuum lines to the vacuum side of the turbo as well. I just have too little time right now to do it.

I will need to dyno when I get the DFMU in so I can tune it so hopefully I can put down some good numbers. The new dyno would have these new mods on the car: full 3in exhaust, walbro pump, boost controller, DFMU, and VI fixed.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I know a guy selling a slightly used DFMU along with his inline fuel pump off his ATI kit for his 350Z, if you want I can hook you up with him.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ravaz
I know a guy selling a slightly used DFMU along with his inline fuel pump off his ATI kit for his 350Z, if you want I can hook you up with him.
Yeah, see what he wants for the DFMU. I'm also trying to get rid of an in-line pump.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 01:04 PM

You might want to see if he's selling the RC 440cc injectors too.

Yeah, see what he wants for the DFMU. I'm also trying to get rid of an in-line pump.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 01:18 PM

$110 shipped to the lower 48. He doesn't have RC 440's, he's using Power Enterprise 380cc injectors. I have RC 440's on my Z, I might be selling them, I'll be needing something big.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:07 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

i might take those off you
Old 03-08-2004, 02:21 PM

They won't work on your '98, if that's what you had in mind.

Originally Posted by slimer
i might take those off you
Old 03-08-2004, 02:24 PM

How big?

I *MIGHT* be getting PE 510cc soon.

$110 shipped to the lower 48. He doesn't have RC 440's, he's using Power Enterprise 380cc injectors. I have RC 440's on my Z, I might be selling them, I'll be needing something big.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:31 PM

Is that for the Aeromotive Billet Digital FMU (DFMU)? Or could it be the Billet Fuel Pump Controller. Thats a sweet deal if it's a DFMU and is still in good condition.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:48 PM

How big?

I *MIGHT* be getting PE 510cc soon.
510cc would work, I might get RC's again being that I cut my factory harnesses off already and got the one's that come with the RC injectors in. I'm interested!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:50 PM

Is that for the Aeromotive Billet Digital FMU (DFMU)? Or could it be the Billet Fuel Pump Controller. Thats a sweet deal if it's a DFMU and is still in good condition.
Yup, the Billet DFMU, the one for returnless fuel systems with the sliders and the scaler. It's the same one I'm using, the one that comes with the ATI Procharger kits for the 350Z. I think he only used it for a few months so I'm sure it's in "like new" condition. It's a good deal, he just wants to clean out his garage I think.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:52 PM

Yup, the Billet DFMU, the one for returnless fuel systems with the sliders and the scaler. It's the same one I'm using, the one that comes with the ATI Procharger kits for the 350Z. I think he only used it for a few months so I'm sure it's in "like new" condition. It's a good deal, he just wants to clean out his garage I think.
I'll buy it right now, can you get me in touch with him somehow?

Also, does the unit just have a live power wire that controls the fuel pump?
I am asking because I need to add the voltage to the in-tank fuel pump rather than an inline fuel pump.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:52 PM

That's a STEAL~!

Get it pimpjuice!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:58 PM

Read this:
http://www.zchickz.com/prochg5.htm

I'll buy it right now, can you get me in touch with him somehow?

Also, does the unit just have a live power wire that controls the fuel pump?
I am asking because I need to add the voltage to the in-tank fuel pump rather than an inline fuel pump.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the link it's very helpful. I am assuming that since an in-line fuel pump is controlled by a live wire only (of course there is ground also) that I can simply tap into my in-tank walbro pump and it will have the same effect (since DC voltages won't interfere with each other and just simply add). That way under no boost the signal will only be controlled by the ECM and under boost the DFMU will add voltage.

Either way I will get the unit since I still have my in-line pump sitting in the garage that I can still use, if need be.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:01 PM

That's a STEAL~!

Get it pimpjuice!!!!
Got it! Its on the way. Thanks Ravaz
Old 03-09-2004, 12:20 PM

Awesome. Good luck with it, keep us updated on how it works out for you, I'm real curious. I'll probably have mine up for sale soon too.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:35 PM

Awesome. Good luck with it, keep us updated on how it works out for you, I'm real curious. I'll probably have mine up for sale soon too.
Sounds good. Are you switching to the TS ECU instead of having the DFMU?

Quick Reply: GSS342 Walbro in-tank fuel pump works for VQ35s?