Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

coolant question for Garret GT series turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

coolant question for Garret GT series turbos

hey guys
juss wonderin if anyone knows of or is runnin a GT series ball bearing turbo and NOT have the coolant lines hooked up? my old setup i had the oil lines only, now with the new turbo i run coolant and oil, i remember someone metioned to me that they ahd the coolant lines plugged up. Reason im curious is i noticed maybe a 8-10 degree Celcius different in water temp and i already have probs with overheating...this doesnt help me. Let me kno if anyone got any info or experince. Thanks!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:49 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

according to what i have been told by a guy who builds turbos he said you can plug them up cause they arent mandartory to be hooked up.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Now my question on that Tilley is will Garrett void the warranty on it because you plugged up the coolant lines? Lets say you have to send it in to get it checked out like many have to do on the Turbonetics t4 ball bearing because of oil leakage at times. Will they deny service because of that?

I know I can remove the plugs, but I think they can tell fairly easily that no coolant really passed through it.

Dixit
Old 03-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

YOU MUST RUN THE COOLANT lines or it'll lead to VERY premature death for your turbo.

There are GT-series turbos(maybe non-"R") versions, I don't know, that don't require water cooling. Make sure you get the right one~!

The GT "R" water cooled turbos are REDESIGNED to use oil PURELY as a lubrication and water as the coolant. GT's have MUCH much smaller passages in the CHRA for oil, since it's used purely for lubrication unlike previous turbos who used it for BOTH lubricaiton and cooling.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
YOU MUST RUN THE COOLANT lines or it'll lead to VERY premature death for your turbo.

There are GT-series turbos(maybe non-"R") versions, I don't know, that don't require water cooling. Make sure you get the right one~!

The GT "R" water cooled turbos are REDESIGNED to use oil PURELY as a lubrication and water as the coolant. GT's have MUCH much smaller passages in the CHRA for oil, since it's used purely for lubrication unlike previous turbos who used it for BOTH lubricaiton and cooling.

cool now im more confused......so uhm you can run oil AND coolant or juss oil cause it was redesigned? is that for all GT series ball bearing turbos>?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:20 AM

What he means is that on the GT ball bearing turbos you need to use both oil and coolant lines.

Oil lines are meant for lubrication only where as oil lines on other turbos are also the source for heat transfer. But as Alex said, their oil passages are alot larger. So this is why you need to use the coolant lines to cool the turbo down because of the smaller oil passage.

Dixit
Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 AM

dammmmmmit................
Old 03-30-2004, 01:10 PM

Yea Im in the same dillema, on how to run the lines cleanly, the coolant lines. How to cleanly tap it.

Dixit
Old 03-30-2004, 03:11 PM

I've been told you can just bypass or tap off the coolant lines to the throttle-body.

Yeah, sorry Turtle, I don't know what the hell I was saying. Basically, there are two verisons of some of the GTs. One that has a CHRA designed with larger oil passages like the older style turbos that uses oil for cooling and the new oil AND coolant CHRA that uses smaller oil passages then before just for lubricating and the coolant for cooling.

I'm not sure if you can get a -R(ball bearing) version withOUT coolant AND oil CHRA.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I've been told you can just bypass or tap off the coolant lines to the throttle-body.

Yeah, sorry Turtle, I don't know what the hell I was saying. Basically, there are two verisons of some of the GTs. One that has a CHRA designed with larger oil passages like the older style turbos that uses oil for cooling and the new oil AND coolant CHRA that uses smaller oil passages then before just for lubricating and the coolant for cooling.

I'm not sure if you can get a -R(ball bearing) version withOUT coolant AND oil CHRA.

its cool, thanks for your help anyways. Im not sure which turbo i have then...

id like to bypass or plug up the coolants lines i have going to the turbo but i dont want to cause any premature problems...ugh. and now brake probs...did i ever say i hate my car? i ahve so many probs with it all the time.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:24 AM

Turtle,

I double checked last night and as far as I can find, the Garrett Official Lineup for GT-series turbos has either A)non-BB withOUT water cooled center sections or B)BB with water cooled CHRA.

They have some size turbos like the GT42 that can be had with or withOUT BB option, but if you get the BB option, you MUST run coolant lines.