Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Newb to max turboing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:41 AM

Newb to max turboing

Well I am a newb to turboing maxs but I really want to go FI on mine. My car is currently under the knife for other engine work. However, I am thinking about getting a spare engine and throwing it on a stand and reworking it as time permits. I have a lot of questions.

How well do maximas take to boosting?

Are there serious reliability problems?

Are there any kits that aren't garbage?(don't know about the maxima community but there is lots of trash out there for DSMs)

How far can they be pushed? (I realize thats vague but what have people run successfully)

What are most of you using for engine management?

Has anyone run Twins? What was the result?

How well does the tranny hold up? (I am going to rebuild my 5spd tranny anyway does it need to be beefed up).

And last one for now, are you guys having serious traction issues? (I spin my tires already dont want a ton of power I cant get to the ground)
Old 04-08-2004, 05:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They take boosting fine. No issues, maximas vq and ecu are fairly good at registering the boost and adjusting the fuel.

Reliability problems? Cant really answer that, most of us have been in the turbo boosted section now for tops 2yrs. So thats all we can go from. Ive been fine, no issues.

There are few kits out there, most of us have been making our own because its easier for us gearheads and cheaper. PFI makes a decent kit.

How far can it be pushed? Well with the right tuning and knock detection and alcohol injection, you can take it upto probably 15psi.

Engine management? Usually SAFC for fuel trim tuning. or eManage. No stand alone unit. Or you can get a JWT ecu if you are between 95-97.

No one has run twins, no point.

How well does the tranny hold up, well someone just tore through 3rd gear at probably near 450-475whp. So thats the limit.

Traction issues? It wont be getting better. Recommend some sort of LSD. For track, slicks.

And search through this entire s/c-turbo forum and you will find tons of threads. If you cant search, just go through the pages, this question comes up more than 2-3x a month.

Dixit