Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Tools needed for proper tuning....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Sports Button FTW

Tools needed for proper tuning....

would like to tune as cheap as possible. I have heard a combination of dyno tune + adjustable FMU to dynotune + S AFC. I would like to go the S AFC route cause its cheaper for me but will that be enough to tune?

and is there any way to find out what FMU i'm using?
Old 04-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Only true way to tune is with a wideband o2 logger like the innovative one or the techedge wideband logger. I know StephenMax has the Innovative Wideband logger, I got the TechEdge logger. Innovative runs about $385 i believe. Techedge runs about $200 in DIY kit (have to solder about 250 components) or $600 complete.

I only believe these are the only ways to tune. Tuning off any of your stock O2s is worthless and inaccurate. Its a narrowband o2.

Dixit
Old 04-09-2004, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Only true way to tune is with a wideband o2 logger like the innovative one or the techedge wideband logger. I know StephenMax has the Innovative Wideband logger, I got the TechEdge logger. Innovative runs about $385 i believe. Techedge runs about $200 in DIY kit (have to solder about 250 components) or $600 complete.

I only believe these are the only ways to tune. Tuning off any of your stock O2s is worthless and inaccurate. Its a narrowband o2.

Dixit
Dixit ur car looks better then ever. ^^. i believe he can semi tune his car with a dyno and a afc.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by qnpark8282
Dixit ur car looks better then ever. ^^. i believe he can semi tune his car with a dyno and a afc.

thats what i'm hoping too. Havent people dyno'ed without using the high expensive way? might not be the ultimate tune but just something that will tune it to almost perfection or something?
Old 04-10-2004, 10:18 AM

meccanoble, its really hard to tune without some form of a wideband. If you dont want to spend the $80-150/hr that dynos charge for tuning, then your only other option is to buy yourself a wideband logger.

I dont recommend doing tuning without anything less. You will never get it anywhere near accurate.

Dixit
Old 04-10-2004, 10:26 AM

Nah you need to tune it on a dyno unless you have an Air/fuel guage or some sort of data logger with it's own wide-band O2 sensor.

And to check to see which FMU size you have remove the hex screws on top of the FMU with an allen key and remove the the top of the FMU. You can leave the little hose attached, so dont worry about taking it off. Remove the rubber diaphragm and take out the disk. Measure the outer diameter in inches. Since you can search, search this forum for "FMU disk(c) sizes" or something of the sort to find out which ratio you're running. You most likely have the 6:1 disk.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:00 PM

As I told you on IM.

If you can smell fuel, like you claimed, then you are far too rich for an AFC to help much.

Get the Cartech FMU or Vortech Super FMU. The AFC does not adjust fuel pressure under boost, only injector pulse width.
It will not be enough to do what you want.

And then you need to Dyno with a wideband - like everyone said above - it's the only way.

Don't mean to be a d!ck, but you really shouldn't have bought a S/C if you don't have the money to maintain and tune it.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by meccanoble
would like to tune as cheap as possible. I have heard a combination of dyno tune + adjustable FMU to dynotune + S AFC. I would like to go the S AFC route cause its cheaper for me but will that be enough to tune?

and is there any way to find out what FMU i'm using?

lol i dont know why everyone thinks i dont want to dynotune, i know there's basically no other way to do it without a dynotune, but i want to know what other tools i need. I prefer the S AFC but if u guys dont think its good enough and recommend me going the FMU route, then i'll do it but i just want to make sure before i invest.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:20 PM

Sorry I was under the impression you wanted to go the cheapest route in the long run. Most dynotune sessions range from 100-150/hr.

If you want the cheapest method while dyno tuning, you will need an FMU for sure (unless you got upgraded injectors) and the SAFC to fine tune.

The FMU is there for increasing fuel pressure. Basically a cheathers method of giving more fuel to the car without changing the injectors out for larger ones. You still need the SAFC or something similar like an eManage.

Dixit
Old 04-10-2004, 09:25 PM

Yo Mecca I have my Cartech FMU that I got with my kit that Im selling....get in touch with me

-matt
Old 04-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Sorry I was under the impression you wanted to go the cheapest route in the long run. Most dynotune sessions range from 100-150/hr.

If you want the cheapest method while dyno tuning, you will need an FMU for sure (unless you got upgraded injectors) and the SAFC to fine tune.

The FMU is there for increasing fuel pressure. Basically a cheathers method of giving more fuel to the car without changing the injectors out for larger ones. You still need the SAFC or something similar like an eManage.

Dixit
silly question. If i got an adjustable FMU then borrowed an S AFC to fine tune then took it off, can i do that? also is eManage cheaper than an S AFC?

matty thanks for letting me know u selling, u selling your aFC too? if so how much and would u work out a deal for the combo? hit me on AIM and/or email
Old 04-11-2004, 12:41 AM

Ok, the FMU is a rising rate fuel pressure unit. That means as boost rises, the fuel pressure rises (depend on the disc size).

Now that is straight mechanical.

Now the SAFC or eManage basically intercepts the MAF signal and manipulates it to the ECU so you can fine tune the air fuel ratio.

You cannot just tune with the SAFC and take it off. IF you do, you just lost your tuning as well. Why? Cause it manipulates the signal as I said, if you take it off, what is going to manipulate the signal now? Nothing, so its back to no fine tuning.

eManage is not cheaper than the SAFC, almost double when you get the support tool. Most eManage setups run about 400 with the support tool. Ive seen most SAFCs on ebay around 200 or less.

Dixit
Old 04-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Hooooooonda.....

If you can't afford to take care of the turbo or sc why did you get it in the first place? Even if you got just enough for the essentials you have to have some spare change since you can pretty much bet on something going wrong sooner or later.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:59 AM

Mecca, if your looking for an AFC PM me...