Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Bar & Plate vs Tube & Fin Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 AM
SLOW

Bar & Plate vs Tube & Fin Intercoolers

OK I'm having a really hard time determining which type is which visually.

The info I've gathered is that a Bar & Plate intercooler type does a better job of cooling, i.e. it will reduce inlet temperatures more, however it also produces more of a pressure drop. Tube and Fin on the other hand doesn't cool the air quite as well, but produces less of a pressure drop.

I've seen pictures of supposed Bar & Plate intercoolers which to me look absolutely identical to the ones I've seen which are supposedly Tube & Fin design... this leads me to believe that someone is not telling the truth about their cores.

Does anyone have any pics that show CONCLUSIVELY which type is which, or do the cores look similar enough that it is just very hard to tell the difference between them (i.e. differences are very subtle visually).

Next comes the issue of choosing which type to use. More cooling with more pressure drop (bar and plate) or less cooling with less pressure drop (tube and fin)? The info I've read suggests that tube and fin is better suited to lower HP applications whereas bar and plate is better suited to higher hp applications.. I would fall into the first category (lower HP applications).

Or am I analyzing all this stuff too much and it really is going to make a minimal difference if I choose one type over the other.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:44 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I have Spearco's old "everything you wanted to know about IC" or something like that...

Bar and plates are heavier (more thermal inertia - good or bad depending). I would think they are more efficient in terms of flow resistance but less in terms of cooling (due to the thermal inertia) in typical situations.

Oh, bar and plate designs also have the advantage of being a bit more durable...

Bar and Plates have alternating layers where the charged and ambient layers could be slightly different in width and "fin" density (depending on needs or requirements). Otherwise the two layers are, essentially, the same type of construction.

In tube and fin, the charged air runs thru "tubes", which are usually rounded facing the incoming air side. The area where the tubes meet with the end tanks will not be flush as they would be on a bar and plate design.

Here's a pic of the T/F that I was going to use but decided not to:
http://webpages.charter.net/chunger/_images/FMIC2.jpg
change the # to 1,3 and 4 to see some others if you like...

Here's a pic (borrowed from RRE) showing the tubes (before end tank is welded):
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...10-endflow.jpg
Old 08-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

scroll down the page, you'll see it

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/intercooler.htm
Old 08-24-2004, 03:28 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Next comes the issue of choosing which type to use. More cooling with more pressure drop (bar and plate) or less cooling with less pressure drop (tube and fin)? The info I've read suggests that tube and fin is better suited to lower HP applications whereas bar and plate is better suited to higher hp applications.. I would fall into the first category (lower HP applications).

Or am I analyzing all this stuff too much and it really is going to make a minimal difference if I choose one type over the other.

Bar and Plate, IMHO. For no reason what so ever.

I think your best bet is either, as long as they fit.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:56 PM
SLOW

thanks guys thats some good info i appreciate it.