Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

STOCK CLUTCH w/ 9lbs of Boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:40 PM
ChristheNite

STOCK CLUTCH w/ 9lbs of Boost

My dad is CONVINCED that the stock clutch (w/ 5k miles on it) will be fine with 9lbs of boost coming from a v2 supercharger for atleast another 20K. I've tried and tried to convince him that this clutch will just $hit the bed - but I need someone else here to confirm this with some reasons why the stock clutch will not last. I know it will slip horribly and I will have NO power while boosting, but will somone PLEASE help me here...

Old 10-20-2004, 05:38 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Stock clutch will slip if you are "racing" it... It will hold up fine at 9/10 or so...

If you have the $600 or so to spend on a ACT stage 1 then go ahead and change it...

Why don't you just use it for a while since you just had it changed unless you have cash burning in your pocket... You can't have everything you want at all times...
Old 10-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use it till it slipps so bad you cant drive it...buy a nice clutch/flyhwheel combo...Hey, even better, start saving now for it so when the time comes you wont have to dig that deep in your pocket...maybe by then youll want more power and decide on a stage 2 or 3 clutch once you know about s/c's and what you need to do to put power down
Old 10-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Sports Button FTW

hmmm, i would get new clutch asap and try to sell this one since its barely broken in. Thats if u have the money to do that...otherwise ride it till it dies. You wont see any slipping issues until u start shifting hard. SC doesnt see full boost till redline which u wont really see unless u racing....
Old 10-20-2004, 10:42 PM
ChristheNite

Hey everybody - thanks for all the good information as always - I am gonna try to recover some of the $400 dent the Clutchnet 6 Puck Sprung clutch just made in my pocket. I'm doing the trans this weekend and I think it just makes more sense to drop it once...and to blow the stock clutch i would feel like it's a waste.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:55 PM

I hit 13PSI every damned time I drive.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:18 PM
ChristheNite

ehh? Awesome! Wish i could say the same - maybe sometime soon? Now with this clutch ill be able to BOOOOOOST....

Old 10-21-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChristheNite
Hey everybody - thanks for all the good information as always - I am gonna try to recover some of the $400 dent the Clutchnet 6 Puck Sprung clutch just made in my pocket. I'm doing the trans this weekend and I think it just makes more sense to drop it once...and to blow the stock clutch i would feel like it's a waste.
Be careful with that 6-puck. I recently installed a stage 1 ACT with the hopes of going SC'd, (I keep hoping, and hoping!). The 6 puck can take more punishment, but it will go to town on your trans too. I have seen some people on the org here post about the 6 puck eating their trans. I figured the ACT stage 1 will last longer than stock, and if it goes out, it's better to change that than the trans.

Congrats on the boost, though. Nice to see your dad is cool with it!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by abradic
Be careful with that 6-puck. I recently installed a stage 1 ACT with the hopes of going SC'd, (I keep hoping, and hoping!). The 6 puck can take more punishment, but it will go to town on your trans too. I have seen some people on the org here post about the 6 puck eating their trans. I figured the ACT stage 1 will last longer than stock, and if it goes out, it's better to change that than the trans.

Congrats on the boost, though. Nice to see your dad is cool with it!
I agree that clutches don't destroy trannies, drivers do.

BUT - the ACT Pressure Plate is WAY too agressive for our trannies. Not to mention the ACT 6-puck is NOT a sprung hub clutch.

It's a totally different setup than a Clutchnet Pressure Plate and Sprung Hub Clutch.

Funny thing - the ACT Stage 1 blew up on me with 1 run at the track, launching at 3k RPM on slicks. It also had over time warped my Fidanza flywheel because of other way overly agressive Pressure Plate. (I really wish now I took pics of it - it looked like a bowl)

Mardigras is launching at 6k with his 6-puck Clutchnet Sprung Hub, and he has 0 problems with it.

From my understanding, the sprung hub allows the disc to slip ever so slightly on engagement, keeping "tranny shock" from being a major problem. (unless you can't drive, then that's your fault.)

The ACT 6-puck, since it is not sprung hub, does not do this.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:19 AM
ChristheNite

Yeah thanks for the warning, but like IANSW said I went with the sprung hub to abuse the trans a little less - also i went with the 2k trans, so it should be a little stronger. And i dont plan on any 6k launches right now - but its nice to know i will be able to someday if I lose my mind...