Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

turbo question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:39 AM
Hey There Mr. Paperboy...

turbo question....

I was talking to a mechanic that i met yesterday and he said that if I was to get a turbo he qould recomend me getting it on my stock engine first(b/c i am planning on gettting it rebuild first)so we can tune it without worrying about messing up a rebuild one. Just to run it untill it basically blows up. And then rebuild it. I guess since I dont know that much about the turbo's, tuning, and all the neccessities of a turbo. So Give me your Suggestions about what yall think I should do.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:57 AM

Check around, 500whp on stock. TRy stock first
Old 12-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Unless you do something really stupid or do not upgrade the fuel system at all, running low boost on the motor will not cause any problems. So unless you plan on running 12psi right out of the gate then it won't make a difference.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:22 AM

How many miles on the engine? I'm at 198,000 with a turbo setup. Not planning on rebuilding till it needs it! I put it on with 194,000mi so starting late is better than never
~Scott
Old 12-08-2004, 11:30 AM

im at ~242,000 and i was planning on running like 8-10psi daily driving...i guess i just dont know that much yet and this guy is one of the top 10 drifters on the world..i think or nation..lol
Old 12-08-2004, 11:31 AM

i mean and im gonna do engine rebuild anyway he mentioned a stillen rebuild so ill be pretty fast he just doesnt want anything to mess up on my car when just put in there...
Old 12-08-2004, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ionblu_max96blk
im at ~242,000 and i was planning on running like 8-10psi daily driving...i guess i just dont know that much yet and this guy is one of the top 10 drifters on the world..i think or nation..lol

Do you plan on drifting your FWD maxima? What the hell does drifting have to do with anything
Old 12-08-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Do you plan on drifting your FWD maxima? What the hell does drifting have to do with anything
he probably means that since the guy is an experienced drifter then he may be knowledgeable and familiar in this area
Old 12-08-2004, 06:59 PM

Which mechanic did you go to? Mahdavi? haha. Stillen has a rebuild kit??????
Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 PM

he meant by choosing stillen parts for my whoole engine as a rebuild and the whole drifintg thing chris is right im just showing that he knows wut he is doing his daily driver is an 800horsepower supra with a t88 turbo...
Old 12-08-2004, 08:30 PM

Yall dont have to be d**ks, im learning...dont discourage me, teach me the right way...let me learn the only way to learn is to b taught...
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM

he meant by choosing stillen parts for my whoole engine as a rebuild and the whole drifintg thing chris is right im just showing that he knows wut he is doing his daily driver is an 800horsepower supra with a t88 turbo...
And whcih stillen parts would these be?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:07 PM

Yall dont have to be d**ks, im learning...dont discourage me, teach me the right way...let me learn the only way to learn is to b taught...

Don't worry dude , you are doing right by asking questions. Alot of times people get pi$$ed because this board has been getting alot of repetitive questions lately and yours just happens to be one of them. Since the search feature is broken use google and type what you want to find out about then typ site:maxima.org. You can buy the pfi turbo kit which seems to be a favorite. Since you say this guy is knowledgeable he probably be able to custom build one. Just try looking at other peoples sites and see what setups they have. Just by browsing around here you will be amazed at how much you can pick up.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:36 PM

well, sometimes you can tell the kind of person someone is by a post they make.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=349254

yeh an 800hp Supra. woopee!! too bad he has and HAS had an incompetent team of fukkoff's for years now who work for him. People are saying you're doing the right thing by asking questions. I'll be the first one to say that you're asking the wrong questions. From your post(s) it seems like you have no idea what the hell you're talking about!

Old 12-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

"Stillen rebuild" = shop hype talk
Old 12-08-2004, 09:59 PM

Which shop are you getting to do the work? That's the more important question than how many miles you have on your car.

If you're considering Mahdavi...they ****ed Shadow's S/C install and the damned thing is a bolt on. There's a reason why we could never get his car below 15.1 w/a 3.33" pulley and them forgetting to hook up the aux fuel pump could be one. The plate misalignment also shredded a couple belts and they wanted 1/2 the install cost to replace the belt. I'm amazed Shadow's car didn't blow up on one of the 6 drag runs it made running crazy lean at the track. That's not to mention the 300Z brake conversion they did and failed to secure a SS line causing brake failure while we were on vacation. Ask them about their stock turbo/downpipe automatic RHD Silvia they claim has 450whp. I kicked its *** at the track by almost a second on my first shakedown run with a turbo setup I built myself in a 3300lb auto '97.

That said, there are plenty of guys who love Mahdavi and their opinion is no less valid. JayCBR(who used to have the N20 4th Gen) and now with the S/C Lexus GS swears by them and he knows his stuff pretty well. They've had good experiences and we've had our problems w/ them to where I prefer to do my own work on the car or defer to other shops.

Compression test your car before you do anything and if it's fine then it'll hold out under regular boost levels. It's damned hard to blow up a car tuning for sub 10psi w/ basic fuel adders unless you go boost crazy but the compression check will make sure the motor's solid. Having it go could damage the turbo setup if it's a catastrophic failure meaning parts exit the engine and find their way into the turbine housing.

800hp Supras are a dime a dozen these days and most have their powerband in the 7000rpm+ range (T88's are pretty good at being dyno queens). You'd be amazed at how the 2JZ will hold up under even the biggest tuning mistake running C16. I've seen one hit 16:1 A/F on the dyno during a 500whp pull when an AFC reset and come out fine.

The dyno guy we use has a 1400hp Supra and it runs an 8.5...on stock pistons no less. Every turbo Max in the ATL short of Jay25 and Dixit have run on his dyno(there are only three others so that's not too impressive). He tuned both thebigsadler's and Shadow's car completely w/ over 80 dyno runs between them. Even so I still sit down and research everything going into the cars to make sure everything is covered since he's not a VQ expert and those are few and far between in general.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:02 AM

I am considering buying bags turbo kit when summer starts if he still has it. If worse comes to worse I will just do a PFI setup on it. I think I am just going to buy a long block motor instead of just rebuilding mine because the actual motor will still have so many miles on it and I need it to be a reliable car to last me for a while.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 AM

I am considering buying bags turbo kit when summer starts if he still has it. If worse comes to worse I will just do a PFI setup on it.
Good luck with that. It would be cool to have someone in Atlanta buy Bag's setup.

I think I am just going to buy a long block motor instead of just rebuilding mine because the actual motor will still have so many miles on it and I need it to be a reliable car to last me for a while.
Dammit!! here you go again acting like you know what you're talking about. Who is telling you all this ****?!! your friend who started the petition??
Old 12-09-2004, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mishap
Which shop are you getting to do the work? That's the more important question than how many miles you have on your car.

If you're considering Mahdavi...they ****ed Shadow's S/C install and the damned thing is a bolt on. There's a reason why we could never get his car below 15.1 w/a 3.33" pulley and them forgetting to hook up the aux fuel pump could be one. The plate misalignment also shredded a couple belts and they wanted 1/2 the install cost to replace the belt. I'm amazed Shadow's car didn't blow up on one of the 6 drag runs it made running crazy lean at the track. That's not to mention the 300Z brake conversion they did and failed to secure a SS line causing brake failure while we were on vacation. Ask them about their stock turbo/downpipe automatic RHD Silvia they claim has 450whp. I kicked its *** at the track by almost a second on my first shakedown run with a turbo setup I built myself in a 3300lb auto '97.

That said, there are plenty of guys who love Mahdavi and their opinion is no less valid. JayCBR(who used to have the N20 4th Gen) and now with the S/C Lexus GS swears by them and he knows his stuff pretty well. They've had good experiences and we've had our problems w/ them to where I prefer to do my own work on the car or defer to other shops.

Compression test your car before you do anything and if it's fine then it'll hold out under regular boost levels. It's damned hard to blow up a car tuning for sub 10psi w/ basic fuel adders unless you go boost crazy but the compression check will make sure the motor's solid. Having it go could damage the turbo setup if it's a catastrophic failure meaning parts exit the engine and find their way into the turbine housing.

800hp Supras are a dime a dozen these days and most have their powerband in the 7000rpm+ range (T88's are pretty good at being dyno queens). You'd be amazed at how the 2JZ will hold up under even the biggest tuning mistake running C16. I've seen one hit 16:1 A/F on the dyno during a 500whp pull when an AFC reset and come out fine.

The dyno guy we use has a 1400hp Supra and it runs an 8.5...on stock pistons no less. Every turbo Max in the ATL short of Jay25 and Dixit have run on his dyno(there are only three others so that's not too impressive). He tuned both thebigsadler's and Shadow's car completely w/ over 80 dyno runs between them. Even so I still sit down and research everything going into the cars to make sure everything is covered since he's not a VQ expert and those are few and far between in general.
After reading this i retract my previous statement about this dude. This guy must be a piece of $hit because i installed mine myself and before that all i had done was installed a air intake and coilovers.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:57 AM

Well I am getting him to do the engine components from him...He was just giving me advice about what his point of view was and his suggestions, that is why I brought it to the org because you are the peole who have done it to the maxima...
Old 12-09-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
After reading this i retract my previous statement about this dude. This guy must be a piece of $hit because i installed mine myself and before that all i had done was installed a air intake and coilovers.
I believe he's a mechanic at Mahdavi and I haven't had any experience w/ his personal work but I have had serious issues w/ Mahdavi as in the brothers themselves in the past.

Former mechanics for Mahdavi have done pretty nice work including Anderson Audio and their 8 second Supra but once again that doesn't necessarily translate into a quality build/install of a Maxima turbo.

Rebuilds for a VQ cost more than low mileage blocks and if you're staying stock internals it makes sense to just swap a motor if the stocker blows up. If you want to go for a built motor then consult w/ their machine shop directly b/c Mahdavi and pretty much any other tuner shop in Georgia outsources their engine building/machine work to one of the popular machine shops...KMS, Sunbelt, or Eagle.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:54 AM

this guy doesnot work for Mahdavi, I dont even know who that is. The mechanic i talked you has a shop off buford drive i think that where i was, and he is a drifter and has 3 rx7 just sitting there and a 400hrp miata and just random rare drifting cars that can go the limit...and the whole motor thing i was doin that whether or not getting a turbo so brand new motor long block would prob b better than rebuild...
Old 12-09-2004, 12:09 PM

this guy doesnot work for Mahdavi, I dont even know who that is. The mechanic i talked you has a shop off buford drive i think that where i was, and he is a drifter and has 3 rx7 just sitting there and a 400hrp miata and just random rare drifting cars that can go the limit...and the whole motor thing i was doin that whether or not getting a turbo so brand new motor long block would prob b better than rebuild...
My mistake...Lurchdog mentioned Mahdavi and I figured I'd have to warn anyone attempting anything major at their shop. Like I said I gave Mahdavi plenty of opportunities but I don't do business w/ them so I don't know their current mechanics.

What shop in Buford are you talking about exactly? A drift RX-7 and Miatas aren't Maximas so be wary of any broad promises since it's all too easy to get in over your head.

Drift cars don't go fast for the most part. Hell a lot of them are still stock motor cars w/ just a LSD and cheap tires out back. The reason being is they break a lot b/c of running at high rpm at slow speeds coupled w/ the high likelihood of running full tilt into a wall somewhere.

Turbocharging a Maxima isn't all that hard but if you're not particularly experienced yourself, finding someone w/ a few more years experience to do the work might be advisable. It's all in attention to detail and careful tuning in the end.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:24 PM
UCF Lexus

cant wait to see this
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 PM

well i thnk i will just get him to put in the new engine and then i will get someone experirenced to help adn supervise me..lol...
Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

EVERY turbo maixma on this board in atlanta, except dixit, has dyno'd there
Old 12-11-2004, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bags
EVERY turbo maixma on this board in atlanta, except dixit, has dyno'd there
Well let's just hope this blight on their record doesn't hurt their reputation...

The 95.5 The Beat Pimp My Sleigh Mitsubishi Lancer ES.

The most half assed prize car I've ever seen. We got 2 hours w/ it yesterday to get graphics designed and installed before it got whisked away for on-air promotions. Paint work was shoddy, rice equipment from Nopi involved dangerously shoddy welded in race seats and a shift ****. Batlground got 1 day to do the entire stereo install, suspension/wheel swap and Nopi didn't even donate an air filter to back the dayglo paint.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:27 PM

Well let's just hope this blight on their record doesn't hurt their reputation...

The 95.5 The Beat Pimp My Sleigh Mitsubishi Lancer ES.

The most half assed prize car I've ever seen. We got 2 hours w/ it yesterday to get graphics designed and installed before it got whisked away for on-air promotions. Paint work was shoddy, rice equipment from Nopi involved dangerously shoddy welded in race seats and a shift ****. Batlground got 1 day to do the entire stereo install, suspension/wheel swap and Nopi didn't even donate an air filter to back the dayglo paint.
thats what that sh*t looks like? I keep hearing about it on the way to work. . . I want to win it!

So I could sell it for about 10K (atleast) and get some boost on my VQ