Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

98 Auto w/supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 02:01 PM

98 Auto w/supercharger?

Okay...questions on a 98 auto Maxima w/Stillen supercharger kit:

Stillen states that I can't run a y-pipe with the charger...why not?

How much power will the transmission handle before it's junk?

Instead of going about with the valve body rebuild, can I
wire a switch to cut out the trans pressure pulsator solenoid? I've driven a Max with the solenoid shot, and it shifts like it's got monstrously boosted line pressure.

Is there a smaller diameter pulley available for the supercharger? How small do I dare go before the trans or engine needs internal help?

Who makes a nice sounding exhaust (nothing too loud or 'ricey') that delivers better flow than the factory unit, or should I shell out the $500 on a Stillen?

Will a GM MAF translator work alright with a supercharger setup? I've seen too many problems with the stock units frying when a K+N filter is used.

I'm sure I've got more questions, but that should be a good starting point. Bottom line: I want to make the 98 Max I've got run mid 13's if possible. I've seen 5-speeds run 12.90's with the supercharger and some other goodies without any internals whatsoever. Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:37 PM

Slow down. Of course you can put the ypipe on, you have one on now don't you.. Yes there are smaller pulley's available. I don't know much about the auto trans but 5 spd is good. The fastest maxima runs stock motor with alot of boost + a 35 shot so no worries there.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bender-san

Will a GM MAF translator work alright with a supercharger setup? I've seen too many problems with the stock units frying when a K+N filter is used.
Who is making a translator to use a GM MAF with a Nissan?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Im izz sexay

Get a z32 Twin turbo MAF and find a way to make that work. Maxima auto trannies have a way of slipping in first gear so the max you have driven in has probably had about two trannies. I think that you should spend about 400 for a upgraded VB and tranny cooler.

Explain what you mean by exhaust. Are you doing Headers, Y-pipe, Cat converter, b-pipe, and muffler. Or just a muffler
Old 03-16-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
Slow down. Of course you can put the ypipe on, you have one on now don't you.. Yes there are smaller pulley's available. I don't know much about the auto trans but 5 spd is good. The fastest maxima runs stock motor with alot of boost + a 35 shot so no worries there.
for some strange reason stillen said this only about the automatics. i think it has something to do with emissions. i have the y-pipe and s/c with auto and havent experienced any problems, i even pass inspection.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I SC'ed my '98 auto since Oct.2000. Running with 3.125" pulley, one-step colder platinum NGKs, stock Vortech FMU with 8:1 disc, Mobiltek VB Mod, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, Budget Y and resonated B pipes with stock muffler. The exhaust sounds almost stock and there's no droning at all. Passed emissions easily. Tranny is still in good condition. I've not gone to the track at all so no time slips. Its my daily driver and its great!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:54 AM

Will the stock muffler flow enough? I was thinking of a flow-through unit, but I want something that sounds nice (ie. a nice growl over a 350Z buzz).
Old 03-18-2005, 07:57 AM

Also, does anyone know about the trans pressure solenoid trick? I'm trying to work out how it sits with no power to it. I'm not sure if it boosts to full pressure or if it restricts full pressure with no power. If it boosts to full pressure, then the other regulator valves in the transmission should take care of any overboosting line pressure concerns.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:16 AM

Also, does anyone know about the trans pressure solenoid trick? I'm trying to work out how it sits with no power to it. I'm not sure if it boosts to full pressure or if it restricts full pressure with no power. If it boosts to full pressure, then the other regulator valves in the transmission should take care of any overboosting line pressure concerns.
theres a sticky for that mod somewhere i forget the name of it though. a lot of the guys do it i think its called the drop resistor mod or something.sonicdust187 has done it for a couple of people i know and it works well. as far as exhaust im using 2 1/2 in piping and i do believe a stock exhaust will work up to a certain hp.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:29 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Will the stock muffler flow enough? I was thinking of a flow-through unit, but I want something that sounds nice (ie. a nice growl over a 350Z buzz).
A flow-through muffler combined with my Budget Y and stock B pipe sounded nice but drony at 2500rpm and up. I'm tempted to see what a flow-through will sound like now that I have the Budget resonated B pipe added on. I'm guessing it will be louder because the resonator is a Magnaflow and is way smaller than the stock resonator.