Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Could this be my problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:43 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Could this be my problem?

I shredded a belt last weekend on the way to the track and then installed a new one when I got there. Autozone sold me the 5-rib belt instead of the 6-rib. I should have looked when he sold it to me, but we were in a hurry. I discovered the 5-rib only after we had completely reinstalled the blower and we didnt have enough time to take it back out again, so we thought that it would still be alright if the ribs were lined up on all of the pulleys.

I went to go pull into tech and started hearing a thumping noise. i pop the hood and the belt had jumped a rib. The jump is on the alternator and it does not completely come off under mild load. (under 3k)

There are a couple things that have changed:

1. We had to adjust the alternator to seat correctly in the bracket. The way that I bolted it in is throught the alternator so the bolt just rests inside the bracket hole. it allows for some flex so i that wont have this problem. since we rotated it a little, there is now a 1-2mm space between the alt and bracket. I try to thread it to the other side when i get home.

2. I cut off the post that holds the blower and bracket together. Does anyone still use the screw to hold it on?

3. I painted the bracket. I taped off all the mounting positions so that no paint or clearcoat could get on thhe parts that mattered. I do not think that it is this.

4. I got a metal tensioner. Fits same as stock.

5. I reclocked the blower a little. This should not be an issue.

6. I overtightened the belt when i first put it on and the inside of my metal idler is worn a little. The thing is that this would make the belt jump inward, not out like it is.

any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:02 PM

im really glad that people have input when i have a problem
Old 04-17-2005, 05:43 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

the big SC folks are not on.. they will come

If I had any good info, I'd pass it on, but I don't for this situation
Old 04-17-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
I shredded a belt last weekend on the way to the track and then installed a new one when I got there. Autozone sold me the 5-rib belt instead of the 6-rib. I should have looked when he sold it to me, but we were in a hurry. I discovered the 5-rib only after we had completely reinstalled the blower and we didnt have enough time to take it back out again, so we thought that it would still be alright if the ribs were lined up on all of the pulleys.

I went to go pull into tech and started hearing a thumping noise. i pop the hood and the belt had jumped a rib. The jump is on the alternator and it does not completely come off under mild load. (under 3k)

There are a couple things that have changed:

1. We had to adjust the alternator to seat correctly in the bracket. The way that I bolted it in is throught the alternator so the bolt just rests inside the bracket hole. it allows for some flex so i that wont have this problem. since we rotated it a little, there is now a 1-2mm space between the alt and bracket. I try to thread it to the other side when i get home.

2. I cut off the post that holds the blower and bracket together. Does anyone still use the screw to hold it on?

3. I painted the bracket. I taped off all the mounting positions so that no paint or clearcoat could get on thhe parts that mattered. I do not think that it is this.

4. I got a metal tensioner. Fits same as stock.

5. I reclocked the blower a little. This should not be an issue.

6. I overtightened the belt when i first put it on and the inside of my metal idler is worn a little. The thing is that this would make the belt jump inward, not out like it is.

any thoughts?
Don't really have any good info on your problem, but thought I'd post up just to let you know I feel ya. Belt jumping and shredding issues are a pain and ussually they are all different and unique to each car!

On a side note I had belt problems and ended ginding material off the mounting plate near the lower hex key mount bolt and that fixed my problem! -even with a 2.62 pulley.

by the way for all who car with my intercooler set-up and the 2.62 I make over 10 psi @ 5000rpm-cant go to redline yet still need to install emanage and injectors although my holley12-902 pump (which I need no regulator for) spikes close to 90psi at 5000rpm. I really shouldn't push it but you know I just had to ck it out a little!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:52 AM

The belt issue is unique to each. It usually has something to do with the idler pulley. You are getting 10psi at 5k rpm! Intercooled , that is good because you will probably get another 3 or 4 by redline I would think. What are you currently running?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I shredded a belt last weekend on the way to the track and then installed a new one when I got there. Autozone sold me the 5-rib belt instead of the 6-rib. I should have looked when he sold it to me, but we were

ned the belt when i first put it on and the inside of my metal idler is worn a little. The thing is that this would make the belt jump inward, not out like it is.

any thoughts?

Have you put back on a 6 rib?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:55 AM

im sticking with the 5 rib for now because i am only trying to get a base tune from the 3.33 pulley, z32 maf, injectors and 4:1 fmu.

from there i am planning on dropping to the 2.87, which will need a smaller belt anyways.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

im sticking with the 5 rib for now because i am only trying to get a base tune from the 3.33 pulley, z32 maf, injectors and 4:1 fmu.

from there i am planning on dropping to the 2.87, which will need a smaller belt anyways.

I guess I am not understanding you. What I am reading is that when you had a 6-rib belt, you had no problems (or did you?). Now with the 5 rib you do. So you are asking how to fix the problems you are experiencing with the wrong belt? Shouldn't you just use the correct belt if the wrong one is giving you probs? Or are you saying that you have the same problem with either the 5 or 6 rib belt?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 PM

yeah, the 6-rib is what shredded on the way to the track. its jumping towards the fender on the alternator either way. I think i'm going to just run it bypassed right now, until i get all the wiring done. I'm still having issues with the zeitronix unit and i just picked up the manumatic, which is going in tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:45 AM

How long have u had the metal pulley? That was one of my alignment problems I could not figure out until later....the bearings in the pulley were shot due to overtightening...everything worked out fine after that...and my pulley were also worn out too...Like Vortechpower said...there is always different variables to each problems. try gettin new some new metal pulleys. it worked for me..Good luck
Old 04-20-2005, 12:14 PM

i can replace the bearing easily. i dont know how "worn" it is.

Thanks for the help everyone.