Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

counting my blessings.. and learned a lesson..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Jer

counting my blessings.. and learned a lesson..

Here's a con to the Stillen SC kit's setup - the inline pump under your hood. And I don't mean just from the practical sense of having two pumps or otherwise. Usually some would just let it go, as I did, with a thought in the back of their head that maybe, just maybe one day there might be a leak or something that could cause engine fire.

I had to drive the folks about an hour ago - I got in the car, started it, closed the door. And then I remembered how yesterday I wanted to readjust my Tokico's settings to softest since I'm sick of potholes. For some reason I told myself I should do it "right now" even with the folks waiting, as opposed to later on.

I leave the engine running, pop the hood, get the right bit to adjust the strut, and as I am opening the hood I notice it REEKS of gasoline.

As soon as I open the hood I see the connecting line to the fuel pump just spitting gasoline all over the engine bay in the air - like a freakin' garden hose.

The car was FINE last night when I got home.

There's now a puddle of gasoline where my car sits, and a third of the engine bay is now "clean" thanks to the leak... the parking stinks of gas but whatever.

And now I thank the big boss upstairs who somehow prevented me from driving with a hot engine in hot weather with a fuel leak that would have surely caused a very ghastly/fiery death for my car and possibly myself and the folks. Talk about sheer coincidental luck. I'm ordering a long overdue Walbro HP 255lph first thing on Monday... and moral of the story is keep your eyes on your fuel lines and clamps...after 65k miles on the car with the blower installed I never would have guessed this would happen today.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:41 PM
SLOW

Yikes. Glad nothing worse than that happened.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad to hear nothing really bad happend.

I try and check everything once a week on my car...even if I get home early one day, Ill pop my hood, and just leave it open. I go outside and around the house in the afternoon and just look stuff over a little at a time when I get in the mood.

I know it doesnt 100% garentee nothing is going to happen, but it is preventative

-matt
Old 08-13-2005, 10:05 PM

wow man talk about fate apparently somebody was watching out for you. i have had something about like that happen, i had just gotten into my el camino when my tranny blew up in my maxima my girlfriend opened the door and we both sat down. i started the engine and about 5 seconds later the lower control arm ball joint on the front right side just totally gave out and the car fell on its face while it was still parked.....scared the crap out of me, but i cant imagine what would have happend if i was actually driving the car when it happened. i know how you feel, you are blessed! it kind of reminds you that things really can happen and that you arent invincible......glad to hear that you are ok though man!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Same thing happend to me, but I was driving. I forgot to clamp down the fuel return hose after my FMU. Started spraying fuel while driving down the highway doing 80mph. Went through a half tank of gas in a few miles
Old 08-14-2005, 03:19 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Scary... always thank the big boss!!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:54 PM

I've gone through 2 Walbros - if it wasn't for the Aux pump sitting under my hood (disconnected) as a backup - I would have never made it home.

I now have a partially busted Walbro installed (both my Walbro only partially failed - both within 1 week of owning them) with the Aux pump supporting the busted pump. (Car runs fine).

Anyway - thank god you didn't drive. The Big Man's got your back dude!.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 PM

I had to go tow a fellow .org members car because it did it at a parking lot two times. Have to be careful with those fuel lines and is good to check the engine bay at least once a week if you have a SCer!!!!

Glad your okay Jer.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:15 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by JAY25
I had to go tow a fellow .org members car because it did it at a parking lot two times. Have to be careful with those fuel lines and is good to check the engine bay at least once a week if you have a SCer!!!!

Glad your okay Jer.

Yes you did.. thank you for the help !

Same thing happened to me, my fuel hose ruptured in 2 places
Old 08-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Jer

Heh thanks for the kind words guys, and yes I am keeping more of an eye on things now on a regular basis. After all these years I've dismissed the blower as a fully maintenance free part of my car

Walbro came in earlier today and I look forward to removing a few unnecessary things under the hood now