Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Ignorance is bliss

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Ignorance is bliss

Rigged up a boost leak tester and found that I had a leak so bad it would almost be equivalent to having a 2" hole in my intercooler piping. As soon as I would put any air in the system it would rush right out. The spot was at the coupler on my intercooler inlet. The coupler was barly over the piping. It literally would hold no pressure at all. I am surprised I saw any boost at all. This anwsers so many questions.

Car literally spools 3X as fast. After I fixed it I saw 13 psi by 4.5K rpms, it feelt amazing. I can't believe how fast the car is now, and I haven't really gotten into it yet. At the same time it is kinda scary because if I was able to see the traps that I have with this leak I can't imagine what is in store. I almost don't want to drive the car hard till I get to a dyno, don't want to be pushing the envelope and not know it.

I can't believe I have been driving the car like this and not knowing what I have been missing.

Still have a couple other small leaks that I need to fix. Because of lack of time I didn't even really get to put the system under any real pressure. I just fixed the one large one so it would at least hold some amount of air, it could still be leaking at higher boost levels, I don't really know.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Nice way to find FREE horsepower and torque...assuming you have the fuel/tuning to take advantage of it.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:47 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

How did you rig it up? Tons of tape on the pipe at the turbo inlet and a valve stem. when I was on the dyno I had a leak some were but was not able to find it with the car running. I've been mulling over a set up but haven't gotten that far.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:06 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

i gotta do the same thing im losing 2psi at 6k rpm
Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Nice way to find FREE horsepower and torque...assuming you have the fuel/tuning to take advantage of it.
Been running the JWT since I got the idle problem worked out. Should be nice and safe, but still don't want to be putting down 3rd gear shattering type of power on a daily basis. I am too scared to run the stock ECU now, I actually see my 10psi wastegate spring boost as opposed to before when I would get 7psi out of my 10psi spring. Boost controller is turned off right now. I can even get better spool by setting the gain and start boost function.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by choray911
How did you rig it up? Tons of tape on the pipe at the turbo inlet and a valve stem. when I was on the dyno I had a leak some were but was not able to find it with the car running. I've been mulling over a set up but haven't gotten that far.
Saw my brother make one a few years back. Mardi also mentioned he made a similar type on a week or so ago after his first VQ35 track outing.

Take a PVC pipe end cap. Drill a hole in the end. Insert valve steam. Seal with some silicone. Using a coupler, attach to where ever you want in the system. I used it two places. First, right in place of my filter but had problems with it there so moved it to right after my turbo outlet.

You need an air compressor to do it though.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
BUY MY CARS PLEASE!!!

yeessssssssss i will do....
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 PM

What did you do to solve your idle issue? Don't you think that kind of vacuum leak was a problem too?

That's a good point about the wastegate spring and BC off.

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Been running the JWT since I got the idle problem worked out. Should be nice and safe, but still don't want to be putting down 3rd gear shattering type of power on a daily basis. I am too scared to run the stock ECU now, I actually see my 10psi wastegate spring boost as opposed to before when I would get 7psi out of my 10psi spring. Boost controller is turned off right now. I can even get better spool by setting the gain and start boost function.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by choray911
Get a spray bottle full of soap and water and spray all the piping and fix all the tiny (and big) bubbles. That is how I find exhause leaks in exhaust systems on aircraft. Plug the exhaust with a shop vac (on blow, not suck) tape it in place and then turn it on and spray everything down. You will even find pinholes in welds this way. I did this on my FMIC setup to make sure it did not leak. It works quite well and is cheap.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:45 PM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

I should have all that stuff at the house, I'll try to make one this week.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 PM

What did you do to solve your idle issue? Don't you think that kind of vacuum leak was a problem too?

It is kinda a long story, but I switched to a different 550cc DW injector. I was using a type that Dave normally doesn't use but had some in stock so he gave me those. They were thought to be the same ones as he normally sells but turns out there is somthing different about them....probably lag time. Anywho, they just don't seems to work well with ROM tunes but fine with piggy backs like e-manage or anything that still utilizes the stock ECU. So I now I am running his normal red top 550's and the car runs great.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Rigged up a boost leak tester and found that I had a leak so bad it would almost be equivalent to having a 2" hole in my intercooler piping. As soon as I would put any air in the system it would rush right out. The spot was at the coupler on my intercooler inlet. The coupler was barly over the piping. It literally would hold no pressure at all. I am surprised I saw any boost at all. This anwsers so many questions.

Car literally spools 3X as fast. After I fixed it I saw 13 psi by 4.5K rpms, it feelt amazing. I can't believe how fast the car is now, and I haven't really gotten into it yet. At the same time it is kinda scary because if I was able to see the traps that I have with this leak I can't imagine what is in store. I almost don't want to drive the car hard till I get to a dyno, don't want to be pushing the envelope and not know it.

I can't believe I have been driving the car like this and not knowing what I have been missing.

Still have a couple other small leaks that I need to fix. Because of lack of time I didn't even really get to put the system under any real pressure. I just fixed the one large one so it would at least hold some amount of air, it could still be leaking at higher boost levels, I don't really know.

Man Mike the boost bug just got a hold of you keep up the good work. I can't wait to see your dyno sheet, what is your hp and tq goals.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:35 PM

Being that the leak is before the MAF is why it did not cause a driveability issue
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Royal_T
Man Mike the boost bug just got a hold of you keep up the good work. I can't wait to see your dyno sheet, what is your hp and tq goals.
Goal has always been about 350/350. Anything more than that is not really streetable. I would probably go a tad more at the track.

I want to dyno soon. Probably won't happen this month though.

did a little bit of boost controller tuning on the highway earlier. Got a fairly steady 12psi but the last few pulls it started to fall off after 5.5K rpm's. Adjusting the gain setting did not seem to help either. I am sure I still have a leak or two. I was seeing 12psi by about 4.5K.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:53 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Nice find Mike. I saw a setup to your tester at AMS when we found my boost leak. Too bad I was strapped to the dyno at the time. It was a total waste.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 PM

So what was the idle fix then?

Being that the leak is before the MAF is why it did not cause a driveability issue
Old 09-13-2005, 11:16 PM

So what was the idle fix then?
As in the bad idle from when I first ran the JWT? It was the injectors I was using...to reiterate, I was running a different style DW injector that me and Dave both thought were identical to the "normal" red tops...but there is something definately different and the original ones I used just don't work with a NISMO 555 JWT tune. Put the standard DW red tops in and car ran fine.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

freaking awesome to hear.....this has made my wed morning and I really cant wait to get my car back now this weekend !!!!!! Im so excited I just wanna walk around and break everythig is ee, way too much energy in me!!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:36 PM

Going to dyno tomorrow evening. Been running at 12.7-13 psi lately. Gonna go out tonight with my cut out open and get the boost set for that. Will try and get some pulls with the cut out open and closed. I am really curious to see what type of numbers I put down with the JWT ECU. I am thinking 330-350....but I really have no idea.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:05 PM

Where and what time? I will be in Aurora from 9-11. If I get my MAF wired in tonite, I will make a few runs with you as well. Let me know.
Steve
Old 09-19-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
Where and what time? I will be in Aurora from 9-11. If I get my MAF wired in tonite, I will make a few runs with you as well. Let me know.
Steve
In West Chicago at 5ish. You got a video camera?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:19 PM

Yup. 5 is good for me. Gives me some time to do a quick street tune to get my a/f's to where I want them to be. Is this at the viper shop?

I will bring the camera. Anything else? If you don't mind, I would like to try out my old z32 MAF on your car to see if it really was fried.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:20 PM

Yup. 5 is good for me. Gives me some time to do a quick street tune to get my a/f's to where I want them to be. Is this at the viper shop?

I will bring the camera. Anything else? If you don't mind, I would like to try out my old z32 MAF on your car to see if it really was fried.
I would rather not swap out MAF's, especially if you think it is bad.

You might want to call them and see if they have time for another car that late. Just don't want to surprise them, ya know.

Bring your camera.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:42 PM
brotherhood of tq

isnt this the same guy that said he only wanted like 5psi and we all told him hes gonna go higher.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:47 PM
SLOW

Everybody says they only want like 4-5psi before they actually get boosted.

SVS is the viper shop.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:26 PM

I would rather not swap out MAF's, especially if you think it is bad.

You might want to call them and see if they have time for another car that late. Just don't want to surprise them, ya know.

Bring your camera.
Number for said dyno shop.

I found this place, but I don't think that its correct.
http://www.precisionautomotive.net/p....dyno_labs.php
Old 09-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Is this it?
http://www.svspower.com/contact_us.aspx
Old 09-19-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
isnt this the same guy that said he only wanted like 5psi and we all told him hes gonna go higher.
I never said that. I said I was doing this in stages. 5psi was how I started out, then upgraded my fuel system and engine management and now my boost. My goal has always benn about 350whp and to run 12's.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:08 PM

Going to dyno tomorrow evening. Been running at 12.7-13 psi lately. Gonna go out tonight with my cut out open and get the boost set for that. Will try and get some pulls with the cut out open and closed. I am really curious to see what type of numbers I put down with the JWT ECU. I am thinking 330-350....but I really have no idea.

Man I can't wait for this You should hit higher then 350 with 12psi. I made 330hp and 350tq with 8.5 so i know you are going to be higher with 12psi. Good Luck and take lots of vids
Old 09-19-2005, 10:17 PM

Mike, Jay made that with 10.5 psi didn't he?

How is your boost surge with the ebc? Does it fluctuate a lot?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Royal_T
Man I can't wait for this You should hit higher then 350 with 12psi. I made 330hp and 350tq with 8.5 so i know you are going to be higher with 12psi. Good Luck and take lots of vids
My guess is less than 350whp. I don't make as much power on the JWT ECU as I did the stock ECU, the JWT is just safer and runs better. At the track I traped 5mph less with the JWT then I did the stock ECU. I really don't know what to expect....
Old 09-19-2005, 10:24 PM

Mike, Jay made that with 10.5 psi didn't he?

How is your boost surge with the ebc? Does it fluctuate a lot?
There is something going on with my boost. Don't know if it is me using the EBC incorrectly or maybe the turbo running out of breath with the small 46 trim, but I start bleeding boost about 1K rpm's after peak. I have been able to fix some of it with the gain control on the EBC but it still doesn't hold right. At the moment I have it peaking at 12.7-13.0 at 4.5K, it holds steady till about 5.5K, then falls off to 11.5-12.9 at 7200. I have fixed all boost leaks, the system will hold 15psi no problem.

I break the tires loose in 3rd
Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 PM

There is something going on with my boost. Don't know if it is me using the EBC incorrectly or maybe the turbo running out of breath with the small 46 trim, but I start bleeding boost about 1K rpm's after peak. I have been able to fix some of it with the gain control on the EBC but it still doesn't hold right. At the moment I have it peaking at 12.7-13.0 at 4.5K, it holds steady till about 5.5K, then falls off to 11.5-12.9 at 7200. I have fixed all boost leaks, the system will hold 15psi no problem.

I break the tires loose in 3rd
That will definitely play with your HP curve. IIRC Jay had the same problem. Which EBC are you running?

We'll just talk tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:31 PM

That will definitely play with your HP curve. IIRC Jay had the same problem. Which EBC are you running?

We'll just talk tomorrow.
I have seen a dyno of Jay's turbo max when his EBC was acting up, but that was different. His was all over the place making is power go up and down like a wave.

I have the Greddy Profec B
Old 09-20-2005, 12:05 AM
SLOW

My guess is 343whp and 336tq.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

I'm interested to know too. Good luck Mike!
btw got ur FMU. Thanx.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:02 AM

Either way, if I don't make 350whp on the boost I am at now then I will just turn it up at the dyno. I am not leaving without 350whp.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good luck Mike,I sure hope you hit that 350whp too.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:42 AM

I just filled up with 100 octane.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:13 AM

I just filled up with 100 octane.
Did you call them?

Quick Reply: Ignorance is bliss