Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Do you guys feel ASP pulleys are just as good as Vortech pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Licensed to Spell

Do you guys feel ASP pulleys are just as good as Vortech pulleys?

I'm about to go 2.87". Since ASP is a little cheaper, I just want to make sure that the ASP pullies are (at least) 100% equal to Vortech pulleys in spec/tolerance, weight, strength, etc. I did some searching and I didn't see anyone saying anything bad about them - but I also didn't see anyone stating they are 100% equal (or better). Thanks guys.

http://www.aspracing.com/over.htm#vortech
Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know Stephan was using their 3" Pulley for a long time with no problem.

-matt
Old 02-28-2006, 08:42 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

They make nice pullies. I have an ASP idler and tensioner pulley on my v2 bracket.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Licensed to Spell

Any further input before I place an order???
Old 03-23-2006, 01:44 PM

I had them on. I was shredding belts cuz the bearing was bad. I had that issue for the lingering for the longest time. I was prolly a bad pulley. I replaced it with the stillen one cuz ASP was closed for the Holiday a while back.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks for the reply maxline. I'm not really following you though. Pullies don't have bearings. Also, what do you mean by a "Stillen one". Stillen doesn't make pullies, do you mean Vortech?

Anyway, due to the lack of response from this thread ( ), I didn't want to take the chance and I ended up ordering a Vortech 2.87" pulley. I ordered from here - really good prices:
http://www.didraceengineering.com/
Old 03-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the idler and tensioner pulleys have bearings in them as they mount to a bolt and spin on their own bearing. the pulley that goes directly on the blower (like the one you are looking to buy) does not have a bearing.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 PM

well bearing or not ... during the corse of time the pulley starts wearing out from the inside due to tension.... causing it to kinda wobble while spinning. A slight "wobble can also throw out the alignment. That was my dilema in belt alignment...I was so puzzled to belt shredding that I kinda went to each details til I found that that was the cause...that was my experience.

OOOOPS ...nevermind...I thought u were talking about the other pulley sorry....
Old 03-31-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Thanks for the reply maxline. I'm not really following you though. Pullies don't have bearings. Also, what do you mean by a "Stillen one". Stillen doesn't make pullies, do you mean Vortech?

Anyway, due to the lack of response from this thread ( ), I didn't want to take the chance and I ended up ordering a Vortech 2.87" pulley. I ordered from here - really good prices:
http://www.didraceengineering.com/
Hey you made a good choice!!!

I had bought a asp pulley off ebay for my blower and it was made of steel intead of alum like the vortech ones-- the asp one was much heavier. Anyways I currently have the asp idler pulley setup and the bearings kinda suck because they werent exactly bolt on because I had to get dowels to fill the gap between the bolt and the bearing which was a pain and after a year the bearings are shot. I inspected them while I had the the motor out and they are seized although after cleaning them in fuel and lubing them in jb blaster they do spin real nice now-although I know they are going to seize up soon.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by crewchief264
Hey you made a good choice!!!

I had bought a asp pulley off ebay for my blower and it was made of steel intead of alum like the vortech ones-- the asp one was much heavier. Anyways I currently have the asp idler pulley setup and the bearings kinda suck because they werent exactly bolt on because I had to get dowels to fill the gap between the bolt and the bearing which was a pain and after a year the bearings are shot. I inspected them while I had the the motor out and they are seized although after cleaning them in fuel and lubing them in jb blaster they do spin real nice now-although I know they are going to seize up soon.

Thank you! Although I was hoping for an answer like this before I purchased, I still appreciate the info. Glad I went with the real deal. I asked ASP themselves, the guy who sells ASP pulleys cheap on e-bay and the .org what the exact differences were. No answers. Thanks for the info. about the material differences.
So did you end up using the ASP you got off e-bay?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Thank you! Although I was hoping for an answer like this before I purchased, I still appreciate the info. Glad I went with the real deal. I asked ASP themselves, the guy who sells ASP pulleys cheap on e-bay and the .org what the exact differences were. No answers. Thanks for the info. about the material differences.
So did you end up using the ASP you got off e-bay?

No I sold it, although the asp idler pullies are nice, except they sized the bearings like crap so you gotta make spacer to use the upper idler pulley. other than that i like them. I think I'll just rebuild it with a new bearing. Iuse the vortech 2.62 pulley