Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Did I miss these topics in the FAQ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Did I miss these topics in the FAQ?

Please accept my most sincere apologies if I overlooked any of these topics, but after reading through the FAQ and then reading through the first 15 pages of threads in the Supercharged/Turbocharged section I haven't found the answers to these questions. I have learned so much more though. I like the way this site is set up.

1. How are people able to do "datalogging"? I mean what software and hardware are people running on their laptops to do this?
2. Is there a list anywhere of the turbos different folks have tried out and their results?
3. Are there itemized budgets for different setups listed anywhere?
4. Has anyone on this site produced a working turbo setup on a very tight budget? (not asking if it's a good idea, just if it's been documented)
5. Seems to me that there is a lack of aftermarket for Maximas, coming from a different perspective. Is this changing in a big way lately, or is it going to remain this way for many years to come?

I'm sure I will have other questions as time goes by. I am really enjoying reading about tenetsu's twin turbo setup.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:45 PM

back up to the top
Old 09-10-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by hoohaa
Please accept my most sincere apologies if I overlooked any of these topics, but after reading through the FAQ and then reading through the first 15 pages of threads in the Supercharged/Turbocharged section I haven't found the answers to these questions. I have learned so much more though. I like the way this site is set up.

1. How are people able to do "datalogging"? I mean what software and hardware are people running on their laptops to do this?
2. Is there a list anywhere of the turbos different folks have tried out and their results?
3. Are there itemized budgets for different setups listed anywhere?
4. Has anyone on this site produced a working turbo setup on a very tight budget? (not asking if it's a good idea, just if it's been documented)
5. Seems to me that there is a lack of aftermarket for Maximas, coming from a different perspective. Is this changing in a big way lately, or is it going to remain this way for many years to come?

I'm sure I will have other questions as time goes by. I am really enjoying reading about tenetsu's twin turbo setup.
#1- Emanage Ultimate is the new toy of choice.
#2- http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=360493 its one of the stickies
#3- http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=466769 Mr. Cld12pk2go did an awesome job in itemizing everything for his process.
#4- Im sure there are, they're usually the ones complaining alot about their turbo setups, and saying that the max sucks. As long as you buy parts little by little and be patient, you can put together a sick setup
#5- Aftermarket for the Max has always been very limited. Keep in mind at the end of the day, the max is a family car. Most mechanics in the US dont even know that some Maxs are 5spd, lol. So concequently, we have pretty much all the bolt on parts available to us, but things like internals are either custom ordered, or super expensive, because of the lack of demand. So unlike a honda, which can be boosted with as little as a grand with some shopping around, the max is very $ to boost.... but its well worth it.

#6- Wow I must be bored, Im usually a d!kc when it comes to answering questions and just say "read!". Ok this was my good deed of the day, I can be bad the rest of the day all I want, haha.

Good luck
Old 09-10-2006, 02:12 PM
SLOW

You can datalog on a bunch of different pieces of equipment. Emanage Blue, Ultimate, many widebands, etc.

The main place to save money on turboing your car is in the custom piping. If you can do it yourself you can save yourself tons of money, if you can't you've got to have someone make it for you. Everything else is basically just off the shelf parts, and your prices will be only as good or as bad as the deals you can find yourself, new or used, etc.

I don't think the aftermarket is changing much. There are new bolt on parts coming out all the time, but those don't help the people looking to turbocharge. I don't see the turbocharging options for maximas ever changing significantly. 4th gens are the most common to turbo, but the cars are getting old and the aftermarket never really developed. Older maximas don't have a chance for the same reason, newer ones aren't as common to mod because they're bigger and more expensive and mostly at this point owned by an older crowd who isn't into modding.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. Oops on #2, I had actually seen that post before, just forgot about it.

I am a welder and I plan to fabricate my own plumbing, from the turbo manifolds to the exhaust.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:07 PM

good luck with the fabrication. Please keep us updated because we all like to see waht everyone else is doing. Being 18 in college im on a very very limited budget but piecing the kit slowly does make a huge difference. Slowly but surely the piece arrive at my door

Im also developing an online performace (Deep South Motorsports) store where i will be providing all kinds of performace parts including: Greddy, Eibach, Walbro, VORTECH, K&N, HKS, AEM and Brembo to name a few. Hopefully I will have it fully accessable by the end of this year. As I said its a very slow process being a college student going through EMT/Fire, full time job, modding the max, and opening a business. Anything is possibler with the right mind set.

Good luck

-Sean
Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Concur with above. I had been working on my turbo project for almost four years. Peiced things together which drove my wife NUTS! "What else do you need for this #$!!@ car!? How much more do you think it's going to be!?" LOL

Now I can't hardly keep her out of it! I had to learn the hard way that some things I thought I wanted to do or needed was unnecessary. I do not recommend skimping out on things you shouldn't! BTW, one cost cutting peice I found, was taking an old turbo and just buying a new core. New T3 core cost me about $250 as opposed to close to $6-800 for entire core/housing. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:27 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately I had a Max coming my way, but the deal fell though. The Max had a blown out tranny and my friend was going to give it to me to fix up. Long story short he had some family problems and ended up giving it to a family member or something like that.

I am also working on a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder rock crawler project. Boost is in the works as we speak in the form of a single T3 turbo. Supposedly the VG30E ECU will control fuel/air up to like 8 or 9 psi of boost, which is plenty for my application.

I will probably be working on a buildup of that VG30E. I will keep you guys posted.

I wish I could have gotten my hands on that Max!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM
SLOW

There are a couple very knowledgeable guys on here with turbo VG30Es. That will be a neat project.