Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Best way to find vacuum leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:37 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Best way to find vacuum leaks?

I was talking to someone today about vacuum leaks on his turboed Integra and he had rigged a makeshift cap to his intake plumbing. On that cap he drilled a small hole and inserted a tire hose through it so that he put that on and pumped in pressurized air he was able to find his leaks.

Is there another way to check for leaks?
Old 09-09-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
I was talking to someone today about vacuum leaks on his turboed Integra and he had rigged a makeshift cap to his intake plumbing. On that cap he drilled a small hole and inserted a tire hose through it so that he put that on and pumped in pressurized air he was able to find his leaks.

Is there another way to check for leaks?
Now you have to be very careful with this idea, but it works. Cover up any parts (like valve covers) that get very hot.

I just simply got a can of starter fluid, and sprayed the hoses. If there was a vacuum leak, the engine rpm would change significantly.

I would also like to know of some better ideas though
Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With your blower it should be easy. Just crack the throttle alittle, with your car running, and have a little bowl of semi-soapy water on hand. As you rev, just put it on little parts as you look for bubbles. Ive done this on my Charge Pipe to look for leaks. It works.

Another way is to spray little parts of your motor with Carb Cleaner while the cars running, and listen for the car to Hickup. Thats where the leak will be. This will only work on Vaccum parts (Anything past the TB)

-matt
Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you smoke or know someone that smokes, blow some smoke into the intake (using any available hose) and it'll come out where your leak is.