Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Thermostat Housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thermostat Housing

This questuin is for matty and anyone else that wants to chime in.
We all know once the SC is installed you can't get to the thermostat.
Is it possible to build the thermostat housing to accept the thermostat at the end of the housing pipe so we could change it without removing the whole damn SC?
Old 09-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by i30krab
This questuin is for matty and anyone else that wants to chime in.
We all know once the SC is installed you can't get to the thermostat.
Is it possible to build the thermostat housing to accept the thermostat at the end of the housing pipe so we could change it without removing the whole damn SC?
To go agaisnt Nissan Design and mount it at the end would be wayyy to much work. First thing is clearance. If you were to mount the thermostat at the end, you would need to make sure the hose has enough room to bend down, without crimping, and reach the bottom of the radiator beacuse you would need to extend that so you can actually have a flange for the hose to connect to. Second is, the thermostat mounts are alot larger than the actual diameter of the hose. If you look at a stock housing, you can see it reduces to make the diameter that meets the actual lower hose. Therefore you would need to make that larger to be able to mount the actual thermostat and its not even that simple. It would need to be PAST the alternator TOWARDS the front of the car because theres really not all that much room in that "Wedge" where the modified thermo housing fits into. Again, Fitment. There really isnt all that much room in there to mess around with.

When you think about the thermostat, its not like OIL. Doesnt really need to be changed every few months. I think when you have the blower off to change maybe an old belt, 2-3 maybe 4 years, change the thermostat. If your belt is in perfect condition like mine ..then find a few hours and change the thermostat.

When making the actualy MOLD/JIG for thermostat housing for my kit, I had to have about 20-30 thermostats made before we actually got it right. There is NO clearance in there to mess with. It needed to be PERFECT. Another thing to think about is that the stock thermostat housing is JUNK cast material so as you weld you need to keep tracing back and fixing holes. Each housing is tested at 20lbs of pressure before being shipped out. These arent toys

-Matt