Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Rebuild or no rebuild??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Godzilla

Rebuild or no rebuild??

I just came into a turbo and was thinking about porting and polishing the intake. Should I just go all the way and port the heads and add thicker head gaskets to lower the compression some aswell? My friends said I was blowing some smoke out of my exhaust the other day at the track so I was thinking about rebuilding it and replacing the rings and stuff.

So I was also going to run a pipe from my Y-pipe up to the engine compartment and mount everything up there.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:06 AM
SLOW

You're looking at thousands and thousands of dollars to do all that crap (unless you have the ability to do most of it yourself, in which case you're still looking at hundreds and hundreds and a crapload of work). Totally pointless in my opinion. You don't need lowered compression until you start getting up into the 450-500whp range in my opinion, and trust me, you aren't going to be there for a long time unless you're some kind of boost prodigy (and thicker head gaskets don't exist anyways to my knowledge so they'd have to be custom made for the VQ30 I believe),

You can pick up a fresh, low mileage VQ30 for $300-400 at the junkyard and have that thing in your car in a day. Much cheaper and easier than rebuilding.

As far as the intake port matching and polishing goes - blah. Pick up an 00VI or MEVI and call it a day. The stock intake manifold sucks so bad, putting any effort into porting and polishing that piece of crap would be like coating a turd in diamonds and wearing it around your neck just cuz it's blingy. Don't bother with the USIM - trust me.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Godzilla

Well I mean, I would be doing all the work myself.. And I dont know what 00VI, MEVI, or USIM are..

I would like to get a project motor and tinker with it.. >_> I think I'll end up doing that as soon as I can get some money together..

Oh well, thanks for the help.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Still kickin'

I'm going to come across as an @ss, but yeah, if you have no idea what 00VI, MEVI, or USIM are, considering that is very common jargon around the advanced performance sections, i would suggest reading the stickies, reading the stickies, oh, and reading the stickies. It seems as though your familiarity with our cars is about the same as mine before I got my car 7 years ago.

Any type of extreme performance upgrade such as a turbo or a supercharger requires you to be very well versed in both do's and don'ts of that particular type of upgrade as well as being able to quickly troubleshoot problems as they arise. On top of that, being able to reference things like the different systems in your car (btw, the 00VI, MEVI, or USIM are the different types of intake manifolds used on the VQ30) is also very important, especially when you're asking for help when you can't solve the problem yourself. Research will save you alot of time and won't make you look like a complete "noob" or "rookie" when you come to ask pertinant questions to aid build up.

Posts like this need to be moved to the poster's respective generation forums. Virtually any and all answers to these types of questions are available in the stickies.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Godzilla

Alrighty, I'll peak around the stickies for the next few days and see what I can uncover
Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Like everyone said, it really wouldnt be worth the time and money. VQs are dirt cheap, you can get a 01-00 motor which has a "00VI" (intake manifold) on it already, for about $500 with low miles. This stock motor and a turbo will make enough power to where you have to worry about other things like your transmission blowing up.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
You're looking at thousands and thousands of dollars to do all that crap (unless you have the ability to do most of it yourself, in which case you're still looking at hundreds and hundreds and a crapload of work). Totally pointless in my opinion. You don't need lowered compression until you start getting up into the 450-500whp range in my opinion, and trust me, you aren't going to be there for a long time unless you're some kind of boost prodigy (and thicker head gaskets don't exist anyways to my knowledge so they'd have to be custom made for the VQ30 I believe),

You can pick up a fresh, low mileage VQ30 for $300-400 at the junkyard and have that thing in your car in a day. Much cheaper and easier than rebuilding.

As far as the intake port matching and polishing goes - blah. Pick up an 00VI or MEVI and call it a day. The stock intake manifold sucks so bad, putting any effort into porting and polishing that piece of crap would be like coating a turd in diamonds and wearing it around your neck just cuz it's blingy. Don't bother with the USIM - trust me.
LMAO. Yo, this is hysterical.

I agree. Its better if you go to a junk yard and get a DEK and call it a day. Engines are easy to replace these days.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Godzilla

hey, thanks a lot guys. i'll start looking around the local junk yards to see what i can find.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by shiftnatredline
hey, thanks a lot guys. i'll start looking around the local junk yards to see what i can find.
Check car-part.com, you might have to drive some to find something with low miles for cheap.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187

Damn, You make me want to get into the jewelery business! I've heard of diamond lil but never diamond turd, it works for me.