Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

my 5th gen SC piping

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:31 AM
nycnissans

my 5th gen SC piping

Ok, I started with my 5th gen kit and had to use to the 5th gen piping. This piping was nice and clean but I could not use an open air BOV since the MAF was on the uncharged side any air lost thereafter was registered as a leak and the car would stall. It was time to get creative and try to make some changes.
Here is a pic of my setup before I changed it

This setup was nice for a very depandable and worry free boost application, I just think all that piping made the blower choke and not deliver to its full potential, mainly because of all the bends on the piping.

This is the way it is now, it is still not complete but its %85 there

My MAF is not going to stay this way. A member on here(absoundlab) is helping me out with a 3in maf housing to make the 5th gen maf capable of registering all the air that is going by. This pic is just the initial mock up and not the final product, as I said before its only 85% done.

As for the supercharger air inlet, I used 3in piping and a 3in fujita filter to make things work. I had to cut the part of the car where the winshield tank comes up and make the hole bigger to pass the pipe. Cutting this part of the car is not going to hurt it structially.

3in piping

This is how the filter sits.....

The few problems that I encountered with this setup is:
1) Ambient air temp sensor is just tucked in the engine bay, however it should not be a problem
2) a few Ambient air inlet tubes had to be capped off and plugged
3) There was cutting involved, to the car and to the piping.
4) Initially I had some irratic idling issues which I later on found out that a boost leak was the reason.

I was not able to fully test this, due to the lack of a a part that I am awaiting, however I did test it when it had the boost leak and irratic idling and it worked perfectly except the car stalled when I really stepped on it and then let off due to the boost leak from a cracked MAF adaptor. I then cut off the MAF adaptor and flange on the piping and used a coupler and the idling issues went away.

I hope this information is helpful to 5th gen and 4th gen SCed owners.
I am not responsible if you try this and fu*k your car up.__________________

Last edited by secondtonone317; 03-31-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Generally now your using a 4th gen Intake setup on a 5th gen. I thought you cant put the 5th gen MAF on the charged side ? Thats why stillen made the double pipe for the 5th gen.

I like how you did your CAI setup. A bit clustered but nice. Cutting right there will not do anything negative for the structure of the car. I took a HUGE 3 1/2" U pipe, cut to size, and went out the fender. I little less restrictive.

-matt

p.s. you can probably sell your 5th gen pipes. If i were you, put em up on ebay.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 AM
nycnissans

Originally Posted by matty
Generally now your using a 4th gen Intake setup on a 5th gen. I thought you cant put the 5th gen MAF on the charged side ? Thats why stillen made the double pipe for the 5th gen.

I like how you did your CAI setup. A bit clustered but nice. Cutting right there will not do anything negative for the structure of the car. I took a HUGE 3 1/2" U pipe, cut to size, and went out the fender. I little less restrictive.

-matt

p.s. you can probably sell your 5th gen pipes. If i were you, put em up on ebay.
thanks for the feedback matty,
the 5th gen maf can be used on the charged side from what I saw....Ghase has been using his for a few years now.....I think stillen put it on the uncharged side because how fragile the maf is and maybe for it to read better maybe......

as for my pipes i traded my 5th gen pipes for this 4th gen pipe with the blitz dd bov....the trade worked out for both myself and newfoundland......however I could have cut right after the bend on the 5th gen charge pipe and pretty much have the same pipe as the 4th gens. The trade just made things easier since the 4th gen pipe has the BOV flange welded on already......and well it worked out well for newfoundland also because he didn't have to go through the guestwork of fabbing things up.

Last edited by secondtonone317; 03-30-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 AM

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very nice that gives me a lot of ideas on how my set up is going to be done. I am also using the 4th gen piping but I am a 4th gen with VI swap.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:11 PM
nycnissans

^ glad to be of assitance
Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM

Looking good Bishnu. Can't wait until you're done with everything man.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 AM
nycnissans

Originally Posted by QnzMax
Looking good Bishnu. Can't wait until you're done with everything man.
getting there.....slowly
got some other things installed last night.....only 1 major component left ot be installed , LSD gearbox and spec stage 3