Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

First Sc Max..Questions on Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 AM

First Sc Max..Questions on Setup

Ok, so i'll be Sc-ing the max VERY soon, and im buying up parts right now. I have a few questions.

Now, i already read everything there is to read regarding using an EU, Fuel and fuel Pumps, reclocking the blower, etc.. The questions i have are such.

I plan on being at about 9 PSI on the blower, coupled with a few other goodies i wanna put myself in the 300 Hp club( If not, oh well.. ), but that's not my question. Im an Auto, and my tranny shifts perfectly fine with no issues at all any day of the week right now. Since i sometimes like to have my girl drive, i want to keep the car auto. The car may only see the track MAYBE 3 times a year.

So .. I want to install a Hayden tranny cooler, and Oil cooler for my car, and only run at 9 PSI. My Daily driver habits dont go over 4500 RPM, So i wont see full boost much. Of course i'll have those spirited days. But anyways, I just want input on what the best setup would be ..i was thinking

Wallbro 255 fuel pump
Vortech FMU
Emange Ultimate
Vortech V1 S-trim at 9PSI
Matty's Plate Kit
Lexus Idler pulley ( I have read that there IS a difference in Lexus idler pulleys, In later models it changed, so i'll get the pulley accordingly )
Hayden Tranny Cooler
Oil Cooler
VB Mod
Manumatic Mod

I also read the threads on Fuel management and Sc-ing. I know about the Wallbro 1/8 tank issue, and i'll swap out what i need to from the stock pump so i dont end up with no gas at one point either :-).

One more thing, and i know this is always an Arguing issue when going Sc. So, keeping in mind that my setup is going to be mild ( Sc wise anyways ), and my car will be daily driven alot, i wanted to add the extra insurance of a FMIC, i dont mind loosing 1-2 PSI of boost, i just want the most reliable boost setup. Please, no " GO 5 SPEED OR YOUR GONNA BLOW " comments..i've already been down that arguement path enough ..lol..

Just for some more background, the only other " Performance " mod i have is my cattman catback, but i'll be getting Cattman headers very soon hopefully.

Also, has anyone had to relocate the battery running a FMIC, or even the stock stillen piping setup? If so where did you relocate it in your bay.

Also, some Engine bay pics would be GREAT, if it turns out the the FMIC setup wont return on the investment, im just gonna get a 1 Piece charge made up for me. Also, for those in Jersey, anyone know of a great shop to go get a tune after everything is all setup?

Last edited by Scooobay; 04-13-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:55 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

The tranny cooler will help, but you should also look into getting a VB mod. The #1 killer of auto transmissions is heat. Everytime your transmission shifts, it creates heat. The tranny cooler will help to disapate that, but everytime you shift under a load (ie- boost) it generates a tremendous amount of heat very, VERY quickly. The only way to reduce that is to somehow complete the shift faster, ergo the VB mod.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
The tranny cooler will help, but you should also look into getting a VB mod. The #1 killer of auto transmissions is heat. Everytime your transmission shifts, it creates heat. The tranny cooler will help to disapate that, but everytime you shift under a load (ie- boost) it generates a tremendous amount of heat very, VERY quickly. The only way to reduce that is to somehow complete the shift faster, ergo the VB mod.
So that's the perks of the vb mod, i'll definetly add that to the list then.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:03 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by Scooobay
So that's the perks of the vb mod, i'll definetly add that to the list then.
I would also consider a B&M transmission cooler. The haydens are nice, but here is no way to control the temperature, and there is such thing as too cold when it comes to oil. B&M has transmission coolers that have a built in thermostat, so it only starts working once your transmission is up to proper temp. Just my opinion.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:40 PM

+1 on the B&M.
Installed mine a couple of weeks ago.
I'm also going S/C on an Auto (Hopefully next weekend)

As far as the VB mod, if you're not interested in getting transmission work right now, do a search for the DR Mod for WOT ONLY

This will keep WOT shifts quicker, while the non-WOT shifts shouldn't be too bad for heat as long as you keep an eye on it.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

It looks like you've done your homework and even read the stickies...

Your list looks solid except for a few things.

1. EU on a car that will hardly see boost and will maybe see the track 3 times a year? That's overkill IMO. Save your money, skip the extremely time consuming hassle of install (or additional $ for someone to do it) and go with a AFC. If you plan to tune yourself, add a wideband to your list.

2. Manumatic mod? Do you have one? If not, then the odds of getting one are slim and none. Only 5 or 6 were ever made if we're talking about the same thing. Contact Ptatohed, maybe he'll sell you his, as we recently yanked it from his car.

3. FMIC is overkill too for the same reasons as stated in #1. At 9 psi, you don't really need the "added insurance" you speak of.

4. If you do go for a FMIC and EU, do them AFTER you have the SC installed and up and running perfectly for a month. This will cut down on troubleshooting if problems arise.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:25 PM

Hey Wiz,

What do you know about the application of the Manumatic on a 5th Gen?
Possible?

Edit: Sorry for the thread-jack
Please reply via pm....
Old 04-13-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
It looks like you've done your homework and even read the stickies...

Your list looks solid except for a few things.

1. EU on a car that will hardly see boost and will maybe see the track 3 times a year? That's overkill IMO. Save your money, skip the extremely time consuming hassle of install (or additional $ for someone to do it) and go with a AFC. If you plan to tune yourself, add a wideband to your list.

2. Manumatic mod? Do you have one? If not, then the odds of getting one are slim and none. Only 5 or 6 were ever made if we're talking about the same thing. Contact Ptatohed, maybe he'll sell you his, as we recently yanked it from his car.

3. FMIC is overkill too for the same reasons as stated in #1. At 9 psi, you don't really need the "added insurance" you speak of.

4. If you do go for a FMIC and EU, do them AFTER you have the SC installed and up and running perfectly for a month. This will cut down on troubleshooting if problems arise.
Great info, i guess i'll go SAFC2 then, and no FMIC. Thanks for the heads up.

How much does the B&M Cooler cost, where can i get it?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 AM

Here's where I got mine:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&N=700+400004
Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Scoob is the Lexus idler pulley a must with Mattys kit. I have Mattys kit and i read somewhere that the Lexus idler pulley is not really needed. I will have to see if I can find the post with that info. Great thread BTW.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by Scooobay

How much does the B&M Cooler cost, where can i get it?
I got mine from Summit racing http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
Apparently we like to post the same information twice for each question....
See post #9
Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Scooby Doo, where are you?

Never answered/addressed my manumatic question...

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=80
Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Scooby Doo, where are you?

Never answered/addressed my manumatic question...

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=80
That's the one Wiz.

I've been trying to convince him to go 5spd.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 98MaXeDouT
That's the one Wiz.

I've been trying to convince him to go 5spd.
We all are LOL. I think he finally gave in though.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 AM

Yea.. i finally just gave in ... LoL ..

And yea wiz, that's what i was talkin bout, that link, i hit Ptatohead up, waitin on a response..